Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??

Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??

Agreed...But nevertheless I don't care, the 3v motor has Alot of potential. This is the only reason I have this car. I do not like just about everything else about it. As far as enthusiasts goes, body kits add exposure by all sorts of businesses that will pour money into mods designed specifically for these cars. So my point is you put money in your bodykits....my money's going in the motor!

ORIGINAL: 90ford5liter

I agree with the original poster 100%. It was never more evident than when I went to the orange county cruise. The vast majority ofS197 owners are just ricers that own an American car. Their numberone concern is body kits, wheels and asthetic changes. This was already proven in the "would you own it if it wasnt retro" thread where half the posters said they would be looking at 350zs if the current styling wasn't around.

I started saying in 04 when the car first came out it would attract a lot of materialistic posers, and it has. You asked for opinions and that's mine. I don't know anyone that owns a "Real" muscle car (with the exception of people that own original mustangs and s197s) that look at an S197 and say "those look just like bad *** muscle cars." General consensus with the guys I cruise with is that they are plastic rip-offs. The new Challenger will do the same thing for the Mopar world.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

speaking strictly for myself and with no intention to offend anyone:

I am 100% in the category that the original poster suggested. I don't like any mustangs from about 1980 - 2004. The 05 redesign to the retro look is spectacular. it's the closest I'll ever get to riding around in a classic 1960's style mustang, and that's why I bought it

PS. picked mine up on monday, getting it detailed this sunday and will post pics
Old 02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
90ford5liter

You could buy a restored 60s mustang witha retrofitted overdrive transmission and a/c cheaper than a new GT
Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Ken M
1st Gear Member

The S197 body style is what got me interested in actually owning a Mustang. Always loved the 60's and early 70's Mustangs. After that they didn"t excite me until the current style. I swore off "domestic" brand vehicles in 1993 because of poor quality. It was the "new" Mustang that brought me back to an "American" brand car. Isaid I'd never own a Ford. When my family and friends kid me about that, I tell them "I don't own a Ford, I own a MUSTANG" ! I had a conversation with the manager of the local dealership and told him that, he chuckled and said "that's good, I like that".

Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90ford5liter

I agree with the original poster 100%. It was never more evident than when I went to the orange county cruise. The vast majority ofS197 owners are just ricers that own an American car. Their numberone concern is body kits, wheels and asthetic changes. This was already proven in the "would you own it if it wasnt retro" thread where half the posters said they would be looking at 350zs if the current styling wasn't around.

I started saying in 04 when the car first came out it would attract a lot of materialistic posers, and it has. You asked for opinions and that's mine. I don't know anyone that owns a "Real" muscle car (with the exception of people that own original mustangs and s197s) that look at an S197 and say "those look just like bad *** muscle cars." General consensus with the guys I cruise with is that they are plastic rip-offs. The new Challenger will do the same thing for the Mopar world.
I actually sort of agree with you there also.......at least where it pertains to the visible majority. I've got a little under9 grand invested in my car right now.........and it is all performance oriented. The only aesthetic mod thus far is my 18in bullitts, which I only bought because I needed a rim upgrade to fit my 285's on. The rims themselves only costed me about 475 buck for the entire set........and they only add to the car's "badass" appeal....instead of its bling bling appeal.

I won't argue with ppl on what they do what their cars, to each his own. But I just couldn't stomach having a full bred pony that was all show no go. And the fact that I'm not a big fan of 20+in rims doesn't exactly make me popular with the aesthetically inclined modders on this site either. I did consider a ducktail and functional hood at one point, but ultimately decided I liked the car's simpler/uncluttered look alot better.

As I said, ppl have the right to do whatever they want with they're S197's........but fact is that there is an alarmingly large group of owners out there that are starting to make us look like the next generation of American ricers. Take that however you will.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Mustang GT

I love the new Mustangs but used to own a 69'Boss. The new styles are certainly one of the nicer styles out there and its good Ford decided to bring back the retro style. I also like the mid 90's and the 99-04style. Just forget about the 74-late 70's.
Gotta agree, something about the 70's for almost ALL cars was a time most of us would rather forget, regardless of the auto maker. I think everyone was more focused on building a car that met federal safety, clean air, and economy regulations that style went out the door at that time, and has only now started coming back to having a more stylish type of car...

I personally bought the Mustang because I'm a CAR enthusiast, not just a Mustang enthusiast. I saw the retro styling cues taken from the late 60's era Mustangs, and I remember my dad's '67 Mustang that he used to own, as well as riding around in the '80 Fox body that we had. Both of them were great cars, and memorable. But, I wanted a Pony car, and seeing as how the Mustang is the "true" Pony car (yes, Camaros and Challengers fell into that class as well, having a high power engine in a lightweight chassis), I went with it.

As for advertising what I've got done to it...Well, I'll tell anyone who asks what I've done; go look at any car show and you'll usually see a spec sheet for work done for ANY car. The Good Guys Car Shows are notorious for this, whether it's a '32 Ford Coupe, a '66 Mustang, or a '69 Camaro. The ricers at the auto shows now, who have all the stereo equipment, amps, speakers, etc...It's the same sort of thing, only instead of having a spec sheet on the engine, exhaust, etc. it's all on their A/V Equipment.

Naming the cars? Not something I do, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the people who name their Mustangs have named it either Sally, or Eleanor.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:53 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

when i came home and read all the replies i was actually really shocked how everyone got pissed. its kinda funny reading them all. i didnt mean for it to turn out like this.
I don't see where everyone got pissed.. Like I said before, 99% of the answers were actually pretty calm. Again, it just looks like you are fishing.

What is really funny, is just a few years back this exact same crap was going on except the SN95 owners were the snobs who thought their cars were better than anyone else and the Fox Body's were the best car in the world ( even though I have yet to own one or know of someone who owns one that the exhaust fumes wouldn't make you want to pass out )
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

this is a new age, with new drivers.... you cant stop time and live in the 90's again.... people grow up and things change... live with it... this is just my opinion[8D]
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

This is my second stang in 2 years and I've wanted one ever since I was 5 years old growing up in the fox mustang era...eachgeneration mustanghas/had something I like and want, eventually after I get out of college and start making some real money (no more part time b/s) I plan on building a few stangs for my toys...
Old 03-01-2007, 12:10 AM
wicked95gt

I have owned 3 mustangs now...a 93 GT vert, a 95 GT coupe, and my 2005. I really miss my fox and I plan on getting another, they were great cars. As far as being an enthusiast..yeah I consider myself one seeing as how I like pretty much anything that has to do with stangs from 64.5's to 2007's. I am glad that all of the people have jumped on the band wagon lately...that will just leave the die hard mustang crowd more used s197's to choose from when they sell them and move on to the next "cool car".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S197 owners not real Mustang Enthusiasts??