Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Mustang GT or............

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 07 Mustang GT or............

Drive them both, then make your decision. My money is that you will go with the GT. I'd get the GT over it, besides, the STI still looks like a grocery getter with a wing on it.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

get the GT the Sti is nice, IMO i dont like the sound of the exausht on those subarus
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

i honestly say S197 because, you will have an AMERICAN MUSCLE. Thelegend of the roads MUSTANG!
you got the name
you got the looks
you got the very good quality
you got the comfort

go ask on WRX forum, they will say WRX.

i honeslty suggest you to go to a dealer and drive a GT and then go drive WRX and go home, sit and think about it.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
555*
3rd Gear Member

I've researched both ALOT, my cousin has a 03 WRX(not the STI) but its heavily modded and I've test driven both cars. The only reason I got the mustang was because the insurance was cheaper. If I had to choose again it would def be the STI hands down. You can't beat AWD and the handling of those little suckers. Have you thought about the new EVOs? They handle better than the STIs and can put down some crazy hp/tq numbers especially the EVO 9.If you do buy a mustang prepare to be at the dealership alot and I mean ALOT, I'm going on 11 times now( so my car is basically half new half 05 now lol. STI most def. Or you can buy mine so I can go get one
Old 03-01-2007, 10:16 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

I would say that if you don't like the sound of the turbo then the STI isn't for you. If I was in your situation I would go get an Evo 8 or 9.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 PM
lugnut
1st Gear Member

You only have to ask your self one question.

If you want to pick up Drop dead Gorgeous woman get a Mustang [sm=hail.gif] [sm=happy046.gif]

If you want to pick up drop dead ugly woman get the WRX [sm=yikesomg.gif]
hehehe[sm=guilty.gif]

Old 03-01-2007, 10:25 PM
07mustanggt
2nd Gear Member

mustang is WAY cheaper to maintain also
Old 03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
daliab

ORIGINAL: unreal41683

I would bet that I am one of the few people on this forum that drive my Mustang the day after a foot of snow falls.
I just drove my Mustang GT in a Nebraska blizzard with white out conditions! 8-12" of snow in white out conditions. The secret is 175lbs of sand in a 12 gal rubbermaid container in the trunk. This makes the Mustang much easier to handle.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I think it is funny when people compare these two cars and then say they have to dive in snow and need a good year round car. I owned an Audi S4 for 6 yrs and drove it through the tough winters of MN so I had plenty of experience with knowing how well an awd cars performs in the snow. I was pushing more hp than the new STIs so it wasn't like driving an awd slug.

The first question you need to ask yourself is, are you going to switch to dedicated snow tires for the MI winters for the STI? Without them the AWD in the STI will not help you in actual snow. For example, one late fall day, I was still running my summer only tires on the Audi and a surprise snow storm hit. I went out driving in it and the car slid around like a hockey puck. I switched them out and put my snows on (blizzaks) and the car handled the snow perfectly. Have you seen the tires that come on the STI? They are a max performance summer tire only and you will hit the first guard rail if you are running them with jus a dusting of snow. Also, have you seen the ground clearance on the STI with its body kit and front bumper? It is quite low and you will be cleaning snow out of your grill and FMIC if any significant snow falls.

I have been driving my mustang in the winter and with the stock pirelli M&S they do very well if you don't drive like an idiot. The weight distribution is pretty good in the mustang so it handles pretty good in all types of weather, its not just a fair weather car anymore. Lastly, like the WRX you have, the STI is a single turboed car, as was my S4, so with most single turboed cars, the power delivery is fairly peaky compared to the flat torque curve of a V8. With that said and the fact that the STI is even more high strung, it will be easier to modulate the power in a V8 that in a turbo cause if you give it too much gas and that turbo kicks it, it will break all four tires loose very easily in the snow.

So if you plan on putting dedicated snow tires on both cars, they will both handle snow fine, the awd will be marginally better. So is that marginal improvement in the winter when the snow is on the ground worth more than having a beautiful, well balanced, mod friendly, V8 rumblin', tire shredding, chick magnet? NOPE!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

The Mear FACT that you are on this board asking this question says you want the GT. Have you gone to the WRX Boards and asked this same question? if so which did you do first? hmmm.
Nuff Said.

If you go with the Subaru, get the STI. I do not think that car is rice, it will only become rice if you put large fins, oversized body panels, chinesesymbles,stickers that have nothing to do with the car, oversized muffler Ect... That car can stand on it's own, unlike the civics of the world.

Quick Reply: 07 Mustang GT or............