Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$800 to fix this? Are they crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Tri C
1st Gear Member

Default RE: $800 to fix this? Are they crazy?

The only thing that sounds "stupid" here was how the damage happened.

That's the problem with experience - it usually isn't cheap.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Prepping a damaged area for painting is 75% of the cost of having a body shop do it. The actualpaint is the cheap part. Wife's 06 Escape got rearended. Totaled the other car but just had to have her bumper replaced. It was just a black plastic bumper (not painted). That was $550 ($450 was the bumper) They said if it had been a painted bumper that would gone up to about $1500-$1700.. R&R bumper then primer, paint, blend with surrounding panels. They would have also had to remove tailights and other accessories in order to paint it correctly.

Part of the $800 they're charging you could be to check the alignment of the door..?
nahh...he said the alignment is fine, but could be adjusted back and forth if needed
It was just labor...bumper cover removal, headlight removal, paint, prep..I mean..even down to removing the stupid GT emblem
Old 03-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

That would be awesome....good ole door swap....to bad the vins would be different if anyone ever checked....
Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

I like how everyone says go to the body shop and bend over i guess none of you know the amount of work that's involved in repairing a car.I am a painter in a local body shop and there is a lot more to repairing and painting a car then you may think and the paint is not the cheap part . Sounds like a good body shop to me they want to blend the fender for color match and remove the headlamp and front cover so there is no paint lines and they will be able to sand in those tight spaces next to the headlamp and around where the cover bolts to so there is no peeling problems believe me there is a million short cuts and ways to do it cheaper noneof which is good if you plan to keep your car sounds like a pretty good shop to me but you can always go to maaco
Old 03-10-2007, 01:37 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Get more quotes and ask for a quote in writing that you can bring to the other auto shops for comparison and maybe get a better deal. I think that sounds right and there really is no paint fade and if the shop you choose says you can never get the paint to match they are lying. You can as the paint code was applied and processed by a computer at the factory and is a precise match to the paint applied for the repair. I have had many cars at various stages of age that needed paint repairs for what ever reason and they all turned out great and this at that time I was using Maaco! (no really I was ....young teen then.) Hope this helps J
Old 03-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

RIP OFF!!! I swear I feel like anytime we go to get some type of service/repair/modification/etc people think they can slam us with astronomical rates b.c. we drive newer cars... Just a speculation I suppose, but I just dont remember feeling this way when I drove avg trucks a few years older... That dimple you have in your car is very minuscule and for some bodyshop to estimate that to cost $800 is ubsurd. I mean come on talk about screwing people! These guys sound worse then car sales man, Im glad I havent had a prob with mine yet... I dunno if you've heard of Macco, but they are a franchise that has a reputation of doing VERY affordable work.. However, I cant say they do 5 Star work for that price, but Ive had them work on MANY of my vehicles over the years and I honestly couldnt see them charging any more than $150-$200 for that out the door! Anyhow just my 2cents, I wish you the best!!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

Well just for the hell of it i did a estimate at work 4 ya it would be right at 860.00 but i included R&I of the trim panel ,mirror,handle,belt moulding,fender skirt,and loosen the rocker moulding.Make sure these items are on your estimate and if so its really nota bad estimate.Now you can just fix the door and not blend the fender or R&I anything and you would be a little over 400.00 but this way we would mask off the door handle ,belt moulding mirror, and rocker moulding but as i said before this is a [sm=badidea.gif]cause you CAN NOT sand behind these places with out these parts removed which will lead to problems down the road .If you choose to go the cheaper route most shops will not warranty the work cause theyknow what will happen but if you do it the right way the work isguaranteed for as long as you own the car also there is not any color that's a perfect match if u have just the door blended u will see a difference next to the fender ,well i say this lets just say i could see it most people that are not in this trade may not but some colors are worse then others and anyone could see it.I saw someone asked why they would not paint the quarter panel also there is no need cause what they will do is blend the color into the middle of the door and fender then clear both panels so there will not be any color next to the 1/4 or the front cover. This is the RIGHT way to do it . Hope this helps and please don't take your baby to maaco.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bulitt

Well just for the hell of it i did a estimate at work 4 ya it would be right at 860.00 but i included R&I of the trim panel ,mirror,handle,belt moulding,fender skirt,and loosen the rocker moulding.Make sure these items are on your estimate and if so its really nota bad estimate.Now you can just fix the door and not blend the fender or R&I anything and you would be a little over 400.00 but this way we would mask off the door handle ,belt moulding mirror, and rocker moulding but as i said before this is a [sm=badidea.gif]cause you CAN NOT sand behind these places with out these parts removed which will lead to problems down the road .If you choose to go the cheaper route most shops will not warranty the work cause theyknow what will happen but if you do it the right way the work isguaranteed for as long as you own the car also there is not any color that's a perfect match if u have just the door blended u will see a difference next to the fender ,well i say this lets just say i could see it most people that are not in this trade may not but some colors are worse then others and anyone could see it.I saw someone asked why they would not paint the quarter panel also there is no need cause what they will do is blend the color into the middle of the door and fender then clear both panels so there will not be any color next to the 1/4 or the front cover. This is the RIGHT way to do it . Hope this helps and please don't take your baby to maaco.
Bullit, I appreciate your input, and what you say makes sense. Just kills me to think that something that seems so miniscule is looking to cost me $800. Nobody to blame but myself for making a mistake. I don't understand how Ford paints it Vista Blue, the color is available for purchase, yet it's not going to match 100% when the body shop does it? It would save alot of trouble and money not having to worry about anything but the door. I will not go to Maaco, the car is too new to be doing something like that. I sent the pictures to my cousin, a Ford tech up in NY, and he's going to pass them on to a real good body guy he brings alot of work to up there. Depending on what he tells me, I may just take a drive up there for a few days and have the work done with him. I will probably bring it to another local shop down here as well, just to see what they tell me.