Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove 07 GT- Not that Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:56 PM
The Roar of The Four

Default Test Drove 07 GT- Not that Fast?

Looking into getting a new sporty car, and drove a V8 GT- was not impressed by the pickup from a roll, should I have turned the traction control off? I didn't feelthe TCSworking, but I floored it in 2nd a couple of timesonstraight highway onramps, and I didn't get pushed back in the seat. I was doing about 60 or 70 by the timeI reached the merge area, but I was expecting more visceral power. I test drove a GTO a long time ago that feltquite a bit faster, andwhen I drove a Hemi poweredCharger I spun the tires at a stoplight when I tried flooring it. I thought the GT would be very similar to those other cars as it weighs quite abit less. I do like how it looks, and the sound is very nice.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Test Drove 07 GT- Not that Fast?

The Charger R/T is actually pretty slow in comparison to the Mustang. The GTO is no different. Weight is both of their enemies, but in exchange for weight they have cubes. Mustangs respond well to simply modifications however, and not much is offered for the other guys. The Charger R/T is much nicer then it's brother the 300. The GTO is more or less a piece of crap. Sure it has a big engine, but it looks no different then a Grand Am/Cavalier incestuous baby. What Pontiac was thinking in the styling department is beyond me.

I've only got about $1000 or so invested in mods, and I'm pushing close to 12.99 on street tires and in street trim (3660 lbs give or take.) So the choice is yours.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:14 PM
doodad
5th Gear Member

no offence but you couldn't drive the GT my friend. was it auto or stick?? if it was stick, then you probably floored it when the car was on 1-2k rpm. and sure the car didn't responded right away. it it was auto, then it should have downshifted and throw you to your seat.

when you drive next time, try pucnhing at higher RPM.

i.e: put the car on second gear and roll at 40mph. and then puch it and see what happens.. the car is gonna run like a biatch!

from a stop, rev the engine a little and then dump the clutch and see how that GT leaves a long mark on the pavement.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Its got the power but as state a few mods really can unleash it and kill the other 2.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:21 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Roar of The Four

Looking into getting a new sporty car, and drove a V8 GT- was not impressed by the pickup from a roll, should I have turned the traction control off? I didn't feelthe TCSworking, but I floored it in 2nd a couple of timesonstraight highway onramps, and I didn't get pushed back in the seat. I was doing about 60 or 70 by the timeI reached the merge area, but I was expecting more visceral power. I test drove a GTO a long time ago that feltquite a bit faster, andwhen I drove a Hemi poweredCharger I spun the tires at a stoplight when I tried flooring it. I thought the GT would be very similar to those other cars as it weighs quite abit less. I do like how it looks, and the sound is very nice.
I would say something like: "Well, if you were more impressed with another manufacturer's car then perhaps you should go buy one of 'em." But that might come-off a little rude so I really don't know how to respond to your post, for the moment.

Take care and have a nice day.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:24 PM
The Roar of The Four

It was a manual. I was probably doing about 20mph rolling onto the onramp and then floored it. Seemed pretty standard.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

You aren't dealing with the cubes you're used to. The 4.6 3v doesn't start to really sing until about 4200 RPM. I bounced mine off the rev limiter today, it's easy to do with these cars because the engine seems strongest and smoothest right up around 5500 rpm. And then there's also the dreaded drive by wire throttle lag.

And as has been mentioned, if it's not your cup of tea, go buy a new GTO or Camaro.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:30 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

but I floored it in 2nd a couple of timesonstraight highway onramps
I was probably doing about 20mph rolling onto the onramp and then floored it
If you were going 20 MPH in second gear, that would explain the issue...As noted above, get into higher RPM's.....Also, this car is drive by wire, which has considerable throttle lag.....When tuned out, completely different animal......

Mike
Old 03-10-2007, 11:39 PM
RoadLizard
1st Gear Member

"I was doing about 60 or 70 by the timeI reached the merge area, but I was expecting more visceral power."

I can be in 5th cruising at 70, drop into 3rd and be at 100 in a flash. Not sure what the issue was. I suspect you shifted at the wrong RPM as stated above. The GT might not be the fastest car on the road, but make no mistake, if you drive it correctly, it is faster than most and certainly faster than the average sedan... By your wording in your posts, you don't seem sold on the Mustang. Is anything you read here going to change that? Just curious...

Roadlizard
Old 03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You sure it wasn't a 6?

Quick Reply: Test Drove 07 GT- Not that Fast?