Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Exhaust Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 PM
swooshpimp
1st Gear Member

Default Pypes Exhaust Install Review

Ok, so here is the skinny. On the 16th of March I had the following system installed on my 06 GT - http://216.178.81.107/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit- this is phase 3 of my performance upgrades (phase 1 was FRPP Headers & 2 was JLT CAI w/ tune). Now after I did the tune upgrade originally with the 87 Octane it was a big difference and well worth it. Now, after I got my car back from the shop and started to drive it some how it was as if the exhaust took away what the tune had done just 4 days prior. There is an obnoxious humming sound which is driving me nuts and even after I upgraded the tune to 91 Octance nothing changed. The increase in the exterior sound isnt that much different from the stock exhaust. Granted that there is a diference but not what I was looking for. The humming sound inside the car is louder. I called them twice and left a message for the "tech" people to see what they have to say but I havent recieved a response. So, I will give it a few more days to see if they get back with me and then Im going to see what I can do about sending these mufflers back and putting the stock ones back on until I get me some Super 40 Series Flowmasters. [:@]
Old 03-20-2007, 05:23 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pypes Exhaust Install Review

One of or both of the hangers, on your crossover pipe might be in contact with the side of the bracket that is attached to the car. I had a terrible resonace/hum from mine.

Good Luck.

Also, if it is just give it a tap with a sledge hammer, once or twice, so it doesn't contact
Old 03-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

so you put some catbacks on last and it feels like you have lost some power? am i reading that correctly?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:44 PM
swooshpimp
1st Gear Member

power, acceleration - a little of both. Before the exhaust and after the tune everything was peachy and after the exhaust I could tell a difference right away. [/align]
Old 03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

from my personal experience i noticed i lost back pressure when i put new cat backs on, it wasnt a HUGE difference or anything but tiny bit noticeable for me..
Old 03-20-2007, 06:08 PM
swooshpimp
1st Gear Member

Well I talked to Pypes and all that they could say was to check the X Pipe hangar. I was just at the Exhaust Shop this morning and they didnt see anything. They dont have a return policy on "used" products so if this doesnt work out its going to be a waste of money of there system and put me in a bad mood.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What do you mean when you say a 'Hum'? You mean drone? That will happen with any system. Different mufflers/exhaust systems have different resonance systems. Pypes offers several different types of mufflers that have different sound characteristics. What one person likes, someone else might not. That's why they offer the options.

You mention power loss with the new exhuast. While you may loss a little low end tq I gurantee you will more than make up for it in the higher RPM ranges. That and your car has to adapt to a modified exhuast. Modified exhaust = freer flowing exhaust = your computer has to adapt it's a/f ratio and timing. Your cars response should improve as you drive it and learns to work with the new freer flowing system.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:35 PM
swooshpimp
1st Gear Member

I have seen it posted as a drone - so I guess humm/drone. Well I did call them prior to the purchase and nothing was mentioned about a drone of any sort and they did advertise this system as being one with loud exterior sound good for muscle cars which was a let down. If what your saying is give it time then I just hope your right because as of right not out of the 3 mod phases that I had this would be the most disappointing in every angle - price, sound and performance.