Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Stripe Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:49 AM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

Default Racing Stripe Removal

My car came with vinyl stripes that are completely messed up. I plan on removing them myself over spring break. can i just use a blow dryer and start peeling them off? the car is an 06 so i don't think the paint underneath will be any darker than the rest of the car.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Jarhead72

Default RE: Racing Stripe Removal

Yes you can take them off no problem. I pulled off my side stripes on the V6 with just peeling them off, didn't need a hairdryer. The car was brand new at the time though. Its its tougher you can use a hairdryer, I used one to get my GT emblems off before putting on my stripe kit and it didn't hurt the paint if thats what your worried about.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

You can use a heat gun on low & it won't hurt paint, I removed letters & logos from one of my Ford work vans with a propane torch (always keep it moving) and did no damage to the paint, the vinyl was so hot it was burning my hands but they came off easy. I wouldn't use a torch on the Stang but my point is it can take alot of heat.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
DJACKSO
1st Gear Member

I had mine removed by the dealer. He put my car in the paint booth and cranked up the heat. Came off slick as a whistle! I believe his method is best.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
lloydrage

I want stripes, everyone else removing

of course I am going to get them painted on
Old 03-23-2007, 11:36 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Just use a hair dryer and simply pull them back; even easier if you are doing this on a warm day, in the sun. No problem with paint shade difference.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 PM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

i started peeling the stripes today. well at least i tried to. maybe it wasnt hot enough. the vinyl just rips into little pieces. any suggestiongs? is a blow dryer not hot enough? at this rate i might as well go and have it done.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Ahair dryer is hot enough (don't use a heat gun). Wait for a warm sunny day; let the panel soak up the afternoon sun for an hour or so, then use the har dryer just on the leading inch or so. ...pull back and away not upward. You should be fine. I did a ton of this years ago when helping my brother at his graphics shop, some applications are a little tougher than others but you should be able to do this in the right temp conditions.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 AM
RMGraphics
Banned

If they are coming off in little pieces, then you are either heating it up too much or the vinyl is too cold. I also agree that the hair dryer is hot enough, heat guns should only be used by those who really know vinyl.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Wait for a warm sunny day
Ha!! I can't see running around with half my stripes on and half off waiting for a warm day here in Wisconsin. Now that just ain't gonna happen.

Quick Reply: Racing Stripe Removal