Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O/D off flashing?? Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

Default O/D off flashing?? Need some opinions

What would you do in my situation?? heres my story....

Hey guys, does anybody know what it means when your O/D off light is flashing? I brought it into the dealer to have it looked at 3 times already and they cannot fix the problem... see the real problem too is that I used my OBDII code reader and I get the green light (good) for the system and NO CODES appear... I hear that there are transmission codes too, that you cant really access with an OBDII reader... the shifting is a little bit clunky now from time to time, but its alright to drive... My dealer doesnt wanna do anything because they cant replicate it...

So the dealer gave me some options, leave the car with a technician and let him "personally " use it, and see if he can replicate it... or bring it back while its happening... I only drive my car on the weekends and my dealers service department closes on weekends... plus I wouldnt let a tech drive home MY car.. would you?

so heres the videos of when it happens.......
1st time - November,06
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1493979602
2nd time - January 07
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1796783721
3rd time - March 07
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2018351833

Mods that were done to my car are :
AEM CAI and GT dual exhaust... (no tunes)
Old 03-29-2007, 01:12 AM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: O/D off flashing?? Need some opinions

You know you don't have to take it to the same dealer that you bought it from right? If you are not getting what you need from one go to another.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef192e8/0

Sorry didn't see you location sure you are probably limited in dealer selections.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:18 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: maniacmikey

You know you don't have to take it to the same dealer that you bought it from right? If you are not getting what you need from one go to another.

+1 Exactly what you should do.....when you tell them that the other dealer couldnt figure it out they should try harder to win your business with them. But either way its worth a shot.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:24 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: maniacmikey
Sorry didn't see you location sure you are probably limited in dealer selections.
+1
go to a Lincoln mercury dealer they seem to deal with people better than ford dealers and they can do warranty work on fords
Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

I was thinking of bringing it to a local repair shop... maybe they can figure out a different solution.. but alot of my mechanic friends tell me, my transmission is bad.. it needs to be replaced... but the car runs alright but not the best...

Oh and, I Kauai only has 1 Ford dealership here, its a Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda dealership... we have just Ford , Dodge, Honda (no acura) , GM and Toyota (no lexus) dealerships... thats it! yeah it sucks not being able to buy a VW or a Subaru... it needs to be shipped from Oahu (next island over)...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:48 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yeah sorry didnt see that you are very limited on dealships
Old 03-29-2007, 01:49 AM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

check the link I posted it talks about the problem you are having. Might just be a sensor.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:05 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

thanks Maniacmikey for that post, im reading it right now...

After the second occurance, they replaced my throttle body and sensor with new parts... but it still happend afterwards...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:13 AM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

My buddy just had the OD light start flashing on his Ford minivan, he is a transmission builder so he took it to work to check it out & it turn out the exciter ring (speed sensor ring) on the front wheel cracked & moved out of allingn with the sensor, The computer was confused and all kinds of crazy things were happening. For know he just tapped it back into place & all was fine but it needs replacing. He thinks it was damaged by ice in one of the recent snow storms. Check them for damage, there is one on each wheel.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

i think the guy above is right, speed sensor issue. if it's not that, it's almost certainly the transmission, because if overdrive is not working, that means you can't go past a 1.00 gear ratio (correct me if i'm wrong), meaning you can't shift into 5th gear, or that there's problems shifting into 5th. you said yourself your transmission is messed up, why not get it warrantied/fixed?

Quick Reply: O/D off flashing?? Need some opinions