Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts Install AFTER Saleen S/C Installed ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:41 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Default Motor Mounts Install AFTER Saleen S/C Installed ?

OK, I've read a lot of previous posts and have found some interesting info but not enough to answer my question.

First off, I just want to say that some Saleen S/C installers will say you need Motor Mounts (MM's) for the Saleen install to clear the hood. Others will say that you don't. Hell, there's even a split in opinion of this with posters in these forums. So, I'm not asking IF it should be done. Rather, the difficulty of getting them installed after the S/C has already been instaled.

Second, the reason I'm getting them installed is because the S/C has rubbed two holes through my liner and into the hood's sheet metal. So, I need the clearance - plus, I'll have less excuses later on to upgrade to a smaller pulley and C&L Racer tube!! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Anyway, I wont be installing them myself but will have the S/C installer install them. I'm trying to gather information in order to arm myself before hearing long install times for big $$ quotes. So, my question is, how difficult and how long is the installation after the S/C has already been installed? Will the acc belt length be an issue (drops the motor ~1/2 inch)?

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Mounts Install AFTER Saleen S/C Installed ?

I think at this point it would be easiest to drop the K member and install the mounts that way. I haven't done that, so I don't have any time estimates for it.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

"Heeeey Kooool Aid!!!" Hahaha. Couldn't resist.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:59 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

It's not a difficult process. I did mine in my garage with a floor jack and a pair of jack stands in less than two hours. With a lift it would have been faster.

1. There are two bolts that attach motor to motor mount, remove these bolts

2. Lift motor about 2 inches with floor jack. Put a piece of wood on floor jack to prevent denting oil pan.

3.Use an 18 mm deep socket to remove the two bolts holding down steering rack. Slide it forward 4-5".

4. Take bolt out of steering rod for clearance to tighten mount bolts later.

5. Remove two bolts on each motor mount. Get big screw driver and pry it out when your done.

6. Do the process in reverse installing the new mounts.

It really was alot easier than I thought it would be. If you need anymore tips I'm sure myself or someone else who has done it can help.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Racefiend

I think at this point it would be easiest to drop the K member and install the mounts that way. I haven't done that, so I don't have any time estimates for it.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. I'm going for the budget fix on this one so the K member and the Saleen hood is hopefully off the table. I've already paid (too much) for the MM's.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

You did this AFTER installing the SC? I don't think you have anywhere near enough clearance to raise the engine with the SC already on it, as there is a max of about 1/4" between the back of the SC and the firewall.

ORIGINAL: Simon1

It's not a difficult process. I did mine in my garage with a floor jack and a pair of jack stands in less than two hours. With a lift it would have been faster.

2. Lift motor about 2 inches with floor jack. Put a piece of wood on floor jack to prevent denting oil pan.

3.Use an 18 mm deep socket to remove the two bolts holding down steering rack. Slide it forward 4-5".

5. Remove two bolts on each motor mount. Get big screw driver and pry it out when your done.

It really was alot easier than I thought it would be. If you need anymore tips I'm sure myself or someone else who has done it can help.
ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. I'm going for the budget fix on this one so the K member and the Saleen hood is hopefully off the table. I've already paid (too much) for the MM's.
Well, as I see it, your 2 options are remove the SC assembly and replace the mounts as you normally would, or drop the K member, install the mounts, and reinstall the K member. I think the Kmember route would be easiest, therefore the cheapest timewise.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:04 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Cooool! This is sounding promising!

I havent looked real close at the alternator's new mounting location but I dont think it's attached to the motor. If it's not then will dropping the motor the 1/2" require a slightly longer belt or is there enough slack in the tensioner?

Again, muchas gracias!!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Cooool! This is sounding promising!

I havent looked real close at the alternator's new mounting location but I dont think it's attached to the motor. If it's not then will dropping the motor the 1/2" require a slightly longer belt or is there enough slack in the tensioner?

Again, muchas gracias!!
You don't need another belt. All of the accessories are part of the engine assembly. You could drop it to the ground and it wouldn't matter.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:13 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Racefiend

You did this AFTER installing the SC? I don't think you have anywhere near enough clearance to raise the engine with the SC already on it, as there is a max of about 1/4" between the back of the SC and the firewall.

Well, as I see it, your 2 options are remove the SC assembly and replace the mounts as you normally would, or drop the K member, install the mounts, and reinstall the K member. I think the Kmember route would be easiest, therefore the cheapest timewise.
Ohhhhh. I see what you're saying. The S/C is too close to the lip/ledge of the firewall so you can't get enough lift to reach the mounts. Rather, loosen the mounts, support the motor (raise it ever so slightly, if possible), dropthe K member and do the swap.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:37 AM
rmcomer

My motor mounts were on back order and were installed by my shop the day after the Saleen was installed. Only took them about 45 minutes to complete.

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts Install AFTER Saleen S/C Installed ?