Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 clone

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: GT500 clone

ORIGINAL: gtucker4

From what I've been able to gather so far in my time here, a supercharged V6 can beat a stock/lightly modded GT, I guess because of the weight advantage. I believe that was just with the SC and tune, no headers, exhaust, or anything else added to the mix. I was pricing those prochargers last night, and the prices I saw seemed to be negociable. 3.55s and 3.73s don't seem to be too costly, I just have to look for a T-lok a bit more. It looks like getting the 6 up or past the eight won't save much money, if any, but it's different.
I would sure hope a FI V6 could beat a stock GT. You dont pay 3-5K for a 75-100 HP boost and to still be beaten by a GT! The weight has a little to do with it but the 400 HP or so that it would not be at may have something to do with it. But you will also have a great deal of other modifications that will have to be done to support the SC. The suspension, driveshaft and many other major compents should/will have to be upgraded.

Besides, what could be a bigger rip off than the Shelby GT that only puts out 20 more HP than the stock GT?
It has a upgraded exhaust, suspension, some styling mods and its a SHELBY. Its not a huge ripoff at all. The dealer markup is what is making it so bad. A retail Shelby GT is about 39k I think which to own a "special" mustang isnt all that bad.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I don't know 'mart. 39k vs. 22.5k after rebates? You're right, it's a special 'Stang, but for about 4k more on sticker, you're looking at GT500 territory. 320 to 500 for that little bit of difference is an astounding bargain. They're both being marked up, because of the Shelby name, and meanwhile, you've got 4.6 GTs stagnating on lots all over, just waiting to be taken home and modded. I picked the V6 not only because I'm thinking about the insurance and stuff like that, but I'm scared that I'd blow all my money on a GT, just to make it different from all the stock ones out there. The numbers I saw on the procharger were around 320 hp at "normal" boost, maybe conservative, but still a little more than stock GT for a little less money. Also, what do you think the 5.4 in the GT500 would put out without the supercharger? Just curious...
Old 04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

WTF
How is it a complete clone if it don't have matching wheels?????

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

WHY

the ultimate un sleeper.

at least go all the way and get the wheels.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:44 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Oh, that 39k to 22.5k was Shelby GT to stock GT by the way... Sorry 'bout that...
Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Oh, that 39k to 22.5k was Shelby GT to stock GT by the way... Sorry 'bout that...
Stock GT @ 22.5k?? used or an 06 model maybe.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:54 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Nope. Invoice minus dealer discount, minus Ford rebates. Ford money's different depending on region. If I could buy my car today, it would cost me less in South Carolina where my folks are, than here in AR, because their region has the V6 manual getting $1995 off from Ford in rebates alone, never mind the regular college and military discounts that equal another $1000. I've found that most dealers will match or exceed the factory money, and may do more than that if the car you want has been on their lot for a long time.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 AM
chupac
3rd Gear Member

American rice.... wouldn't that be grits? Or Cream of Wheat???[sm=roll.gif]
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I don't know 'mart. 39k vs. 22.5k after rebates? You're right, it's a special 'Stang, but for about 4k more on sticker, you're looking at GT500 territory. 320 to 500 for that little bit of difference is an astounding bargain. They're both being marked up, because of the Shelby name, and meanwhile, you've got 4.6 GTs stagnating on lots all over, just waiting to be taken home and modded. I picked the V6 not only because I'm thinking about the insurance and stuff like that, but I'm scared that I'd blow all my money on a GT, just to make it different from all the stock ones out there. The numbers I saw on the procharger were around 320 hp at "normal" boost, maybe conservative, but still a little more than stock GT for a little less money. Also, what do you think the 5.4 in the GT500 would put out without the supercharger? Just curious...
I've seen blown sixes run equal to nicely driven stock GTs. I realize once the V-6 is blown, tuning becomes the difference(and driver skill) in a drag race. Although having grown up around the Cologne V-6(weaned on German made Ford Capris during the 80's), all the V-6s from that family of engines have always had head/head gasket problems. The 2.6L-2.8L-2.9L-4.0L(ohv version) have all seen problems with blown head gaskets and heads cracking(this in stock form!). The water passages on these engines aren't the most ideal and the heads are starved for coolant(some of the versions-the earlier ones)haveseveral "hot spots" throughout the heads and as the engines age(along with poor maintenance) become susceptible to head/head gasket issues. I realize the blown 4.0L ohc engines have only been around a few(if that) years now, so it might be too early to tell. Although having 270-280 rwhp as opposed to 420-460 rwhp on pump gas without major life changing engine problems to me is worth the difference in price between the GT's potential to the V-6's. JMHO
Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 AM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't be dragging, or at least I don't plan on it. Never had a rear driver here in the states, and there were so many tuned cars stalking the streets in Japan, that I never challenged anybody there when I had my 210ps Skylines. I'm sure the urge would creep up every now and then, but the car I want to build would mainly be for show. I just don't want to get ridiculed for not having any grunt to go along with it. If driven "responsibly", I shouldn't have any problems with an SC'd 4.0, should I?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:10 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

all show no go is rice.

Quick Reply: GT500 clone