Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you switch from tuner X to Brenspeed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Why did you switch from tuner X to Brenspeed?

Wanted to know from those of you that had brand X tunes before and switched to a Brenspeed tune, did you "feel" a difference?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:39 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why did you switch from tuner X to Brenspeed?

Where did all the Brenspeed customers go?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:44 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Most dont switch from B ama or Evo because there tunes are great as it is and there is no reason to change. I am very happy with my b ama tune but I am going to get some Brenspeed tunes to compare. Also if you have a dyno tune then in theory you wont get a better tune. Now if you are using "canned" tunes then switch as fast as you can!

What "brand x" are you referring to?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:00 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks for a reply Howarmat,

I started with Evo tunes, then went to a 'custom' dyno tune that as far as I know is the standard 93 octane SCT tune. The only changes are an ~8% fuel increases added across the board to get my A/F ration down from 14.2 to 12.8. The timing was adjusted a few degrees but it lost power so it was set back to what SCT has. So I don't know if that equates to what others consider a custom dyno tune.

What do you think is considered a custom dyno tune? How many things need to be different from what SCT pumps out to be fully optimized to a particular vehicle?

The reason I said brand X was because I didn't want to single anyone tuner out. I'm a little suprised, there are many tuner questions posted daily and I have seen many members say that they switched from one tuner to another and it was like night and day. I was hoping for those people to chime in and say why they like Brenspeed's tunes better than what they had before.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:15 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Those people are probably running the "canned" or a variation is all. A custom dyno tune would be where they measure the a/f and adjust parameters to get that inline and thus allowing peak HP. They should not lose peak power. You butt dyno might think that there are losses at different RPMs but in reality it should be producing more HP than the previous tune. A 14.2 is quite high for an a/f ratio. The EVO tune might acutally be putting out more HP but it can also be doing it with some unsafe values. I am not for sure but someone else with come by and tell me how wrong I am!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Actually my Evolution tunes made 282whp and 298wtq with an A/F that was not optimal for my car but everycar can react different. So my current tuner loaded up the standard 93 octance SCT tune at the time and it made the same hp and trq and with roughly the same A/F. So my tuner richened up the fuel curves with a certain % across the rpm range and that brought the A/F down to 12.5-12.8. He added and took away timing but nothing equaled the standard SCT tune with ~8% more fuel added which yielded 289whp and 305wtq. This was after about 6-7 runs nearly back to back so had we cooled everything down we might have gotten another hp or two but the peak numbers aren't absolute.

I just had an open bank on my handheld so I thought I would get another tune. I was hoping that I didn't just buy into the Brenspeed hype (based on everyone's accolades) and that Brent's tunes were truly better than other companies tunes. Hence my plea for peoples comparisons.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:13 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

The first tune I had came with the SCT tuner, based I assume on what I had in my car, I was impressed with it. Throttle lag was gone and I could smoke'm at will. After a few more mods I sent my tuner to Brent for reprograming.....I'll never try another tuner again, not because there aren't other good tuners out there, surely there are, But I'm that satisfied with this tune. BTW, I live in New York, I wouldn't know anyone from Brenspeed if they were standing right next to me but I'll stand by them for any future tuning needs.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks bluestar,

I am eagerly awaiting Brent's call to discuss the details of my tune!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Brent just did a custom dyno tune for me yesterday and those guys are awsome.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:49 PM
DJACKSO
1st Gear Member

I'm the first to admit, "I know nothing"! However, I am on the verge of purchasing a Brenspeed Tune. I figure that he does more Mustangs than anyone else in the country and he has tons of dyno experience with the Mustang. I am further making the assumption that he tweaks his tunes based upon what he sees on those that are dyno'd. I could be wrong of course.

Quick Reply: Why did you switch from tuner X to Brenspeed?