Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitor Fault?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM
NomadSteve
1st Gear Member

Default Tire Pressure Monitor Fault?

I just picked up my 07 GT yesterday afternoon. I ended up having them swap out some 20" wheels that were on it for 18" polished bullets (saved $$$ and I prefer the look). They had swapped the wheel by the time I arrived and when we test drove it, the information display was reading 'Tire Pressure Monitor Fault' each time I started the car. I could clear the message with a reset, but it comes back with each restart.

The salesman said that it was a simple fix and was caused by the swap in wheels back to the factory bullets and that a service technician could reset the computer. Their service department was closed at the time so they could not fix it but assured me that any dealership would under warranty.

Does thsi sound right - that it's a simple reset or is it more like this set of wheels do not have the tire pressure monitor bands in them for some reason? Or do you really have to set when you change wheels/sensors?

I guess I should not worry so much as it's well within it's warranty period.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 AM
armour845
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tire Pressure Monitor Fault?

Were the 18" Bullet's taken off of another 07 or did they order them for you. If they were ordered through the parts department I would imagine they didn't put the TPMS on the wheels. I replaced my factory wheels with 20's and I get the Tire pressure warning light on just about every start.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 AM
NomadSteve
1st Gear Member

I assumed they were factory t-o's. At least they implied they were when they pointed to the new car they swapped the other wheels with. I have a problem trusting most car salesmen though
Old 04-23-2007, 02:18 AM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

I've been getting the same error on my car. I put after market wheels on mine and I purchased the Ford tire pressure sensors for each wheel. The odd thing is that when commuting less than 20 miles each way to/from work I never get the error. But if I'm on a short trip of say 100 miles or so it goes off. I talked to the service guys at my dealership about it and they indicate they can do something to recalibrate the sensors or the computer to stop it. I did not get details, but one of these days I'm going to take it in and have them look at it. Kind of a bummer after spending the cash on four 18" bands and four senders (I kept my stock 17" wheels for winter use, so needed a second set of bands and senders).
Old 04-23-2007, 02:48 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

I would say just take it in and let them deal with it. I don't trust salesmen myself but you'll be dealing with the service department on a warranty issue when you go back in. They're pretty good at the dealers when it comes to warranty work on brand new cars. I think you're worrying about something that you don't need to worry about yet....
Old 04-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Retrorocket
1st Gear Member

I bought new Bullitt wheels for my 07 Stang a week or soafter I bought it. Unfortunately,theservice manager said he could'nt switch out the pressure sensors from the other wheels without cutting the bands, and newbands would cost $65 each! I opted to push the reset button every time I start the car. After about an hour of driving, a beep sounds, and it reads "pressure monitor fault". I just hit reset again, but an hour later it goes off again.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:34 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know how the computer handles the pressure sensors? It seems like someone could make a real simple bypass plug with a resistor if anyone knows how they are addressed... or will any of the tuners knock it out if wanted? I've never looked to see if you can disable it like you kill TCS
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Same thing haappened to me, I swapped the Fan Blades with the polished bullits and they forgot to program the sensors.........Just took it back and got it programed and all ok since.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
NomadSteve
1st Gear Member

Taking it in to the dealer next door to work. Said that they should be able to fix it up.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Nuke1
1st Gear Member

Did the same thing as you 2 weeks ag0 (wheel swap on a 2007 GT0 and The same thing happened. Went back to the dealer and theyr reset the comupter took about ten minutes in all. So don't worry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor Fault?