Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I turn off the Traction Control if ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I turn off the Traction Control if ...

The TCS kills the power to the wheels when the wheels start spining a dangerous rate. If your stopped at a light and rev the engine to 5000 rpms and dump the clutch the TCS will activate and kill the power to your wheels, its almost like dumping the clutch and then pushing it back in right away. Turn you TCS off and learn to launch without sitting there and spinning your wheels for a second before you start moving. The TCS is designed for slick conditions and people losing control. Just thought i'd explain it barney style.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:17 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

The TCS was never designed to drag race with, It is forslippery driving conditions such as rain, Ice or snow. It is designed to reduce spinning of the wheels in these conditions which could cause loss of vehicle control. It works in conjunction with the Anti Lock braking system to slow down the wheels that are spinning faster than the others and under extreme wheel slippage it will even shut down your engine until the wheel spin stops. So with that in mind it is impossible to drive faster with the system engaged than it is with it off. Do the math.... Automatic wheel braking=slows down the car. Engine shut down=total loss of power=car slows down. If your wheels spin too much when you are racing the TCS is not the cure. Youpobably need wider tires on the rear and you will need to learn to launch at the proper RPM so that excessive wheel spin will not happen. This is what experienced drag racers do with their cars, they learn how to launch at the right engine RPM so that they get the best launch. With a little practice anyone can do it.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:04 AM
topogio
1st Gear Member

Definitely turn it off, unless you like smelling that nasty odor.... oh and the damage to the car...[:@]
Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Turn it off unless you're gong to be driving in rain or snow. It's more of a PITA to me than anything.

The first time it activated it scared the $hit out of me even though I had read up on it.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

No. If you have wheel spin, it won't be "as fast as you can."

Turn it OFF
Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Explain to me how it is THAt smart and knows the difference between rain/snow wheel spin and excessive launch wheel spin. Man that thing is really smart.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 PM
07mustanggt
2nd Gear Member

Went to the Audi driving experience at Road Atlanta a year ago and they talked about TCS. They said to turn it off on day to day driving if you can counter act an oversteer/understeer correctly and safely. If you went off the road and the tcs kicks in then it will try to get traction to the wheels with no traction and say you are heading for a pole or some object that would possibly hurt your car if you hit it. So half of your car is on the road and the other 2 wheels are on the side of the road, well the TCS will keep you going in a straight line and cause you to wreck. Just telling you you what they told me...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07mustanggt

Went to the Audi driving experience at Road Atlanta a year ago and they talked about TCS. They said to turn it off on day to day driving if you can counter act an oversteer/understeer correctly and safely. If you went off the road and the tcs kicks in then it will try to get traction to the wheels with no traction and say you are heading for a pole or some object that would possibly hurt your car if you hit it. So half of your car is on the road and the other 2 wheels are on the side of the road, well the TCS will keep you going in a straight line and cause you to wreck. Just telling you you what they told me...

Yea, I understand how it works. I have a similar deal on my Liberty CRD. It may be better to launch without it on for the experienced, but if you do get wheel spin, newb or otherwise, this thing will stop it and let the hook up begin. It is quicker than the human foot.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

Better to keep it off in a race, learn your vehicle!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:59 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StantheMan

Better to keep it off in a race, learn your vehicle!

If you loose control, might keep you off the rail

Quick Reply: Should I turn off the Traction Control if ...