Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure light on after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 PM
erniep

Default Oil Pressure light on after oil change?

Hi Guys,
I had the oil in my 2005 changed today. I used a K&N filter and Royal Purple oil but had the local jiffy lube do the work. After the change, the oil pressure warning light stayed on. I have an electric oil pressure gauge, and it shows good oil pressure. Any idea why the light doesn't go off? ... the oil pressure is fine. Couldn't find much in the manual.
Thanx, ErnieP
Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
NomadSteve
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Pressure light on after oil change?

I admit that I should know, but could it be the oil level is low? I'd be sure to check the level after letting anyone change my oil. I've seen and known too many people tat have had their engines ruined by taking it to a quick lube place.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

Thats a new one to me. Honestly, Royal Purple would not have been my choice to use, but who cares? Hundreds will jump on this, but your better off sir using Motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic and a Motorcraft filter too, just as Ford gave it to you.

You may all pouce on this now.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:01 PM
erniep

I did some searching in the forums and the Royal Purple got good reviews. I've got a whipple on the Roush now, so I wanted the best oil I could get. The oil level is a little high ... I know that's not good, so I'll have them take out a pint tomorrow. Do ya think the oil sensor can tell if the oil is just a little high??
Thanx, Ernie
Old 05-09-2007, 11:10 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

There is nothing wrong with Royal Purple in fact it is far superior to the Ford Semi Synthetic. It's just a little pricey is all.

I personally use Mobil 1 5w20 with Motorcraft Filters. As for your light being on, not sure why other than a faulty sending unti or they knocked a plug off while doing the oil change, what is your oil pressure reading on your other gauge? Also being overfull is not good either. Your motor holds 6 Qts. Period.

Richard
Old 05-09-2007, 11:32 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: erniep

Hi Guys,
I had the oil in my 2005 changed today. I used a K&N filter and Royal Purple oil but had the local jiffy lube do the work. After the change, the oil pressure warning light stayed on. I have an electric oil pressure gauge, and it shows good oil pressure. Any idea why the light doesn't go off? ... the oil pressure is fine. Couldn't find much in the manual.
Thanx, ErnieP
Thats your problem.....do it yourself, its easy to do and you will know its done correctly.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD
..... Your motor holds 6 Qts. Period.

Richard

Mine takes 6.5 to get to the top of the fill line. Alot others have reported this also.
Either way a pint over is not going to make the light come on. Like Richard said, maybe they knocked something off like the sensor, who knows with those places.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: erniep

I did some searching in the forums and the Royal Purple got good reviews. I've got a whipple on the Roush now, so I wanted the best oil I could get. The oil level is a little high ... I know that's not good, so I'll have them take out a pint tomorrow. Do ya think the oil sensor can tell if the oil is just a little high??
Thanx, Ernie
It's definitely not good to run too much oil. I screwed up a perfectly good engine doing that one time.

The stock oil pressure is a simple on/off, yes/no swtich, so I doubt it can dectect this kind of problem. Perhaps the ECU can measure it somehow?

You've highlighted exactly why Ford should have put a working oil pressure gauge on the Mustang. Good to know that you have good pressure. Imagine if all you had to go on was the stock idiot light on the dash!

Please, let us know if your light turns off after removing the excess oil.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:59 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I know my F-150 takes 6.5 Qts just to get the oil in between the full and low marks. Also it does not have to be all the way at the Full Line and is ok as long as it is in between the Add and Full marks.

Richard
Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 AM
jts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD
..... Your motor holds 6 Qts. Period.

Richard

Mine takes 6.5 to get to the top of the fill line. Alot others have reported this also.
Either way a pint over is not going to make the light come on. Like Richard said, maybe they knocked something off like the sensor, who knows with those places.

The motor takes 6QTS
IT JUST TAKES A WHILE TO SHOW ON THE DIPSTICK.
[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure light on after oil change?