Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous

No point in takin off your aftermarket parts to let Ford see your car because warranty SUCKS
Old 12-17-2004, 03:40 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

All warranty work depends on the actual dealer. Remember, dealers get paid from Ford for warranty work, it's not like they do the work for free. So, unless it's a total loss of the engine, they will pretty much keep quiet and do the repair work. I was a software consultant in Ford's Technical hotline call center up in dearborn a few months ago. This is the call center that the dealer mechanics call in before doing any work, plus this is where they get their technical know-how when they get stumped. While listening to some of the reps, the first thing they would ask on any call, whether it was a F-150, or a Mustang, was "Is the PCM stock?" Are there any visual mods done under the hood? etc, etc.

About 6 months ago, I had a squealing coming from the clutch. I knew this was the throw-out bearing, so I took it in to a local dealership. Look at my mods in my sig. They ended up replacing my transmission in the end, without question. So what do you think they answered to the reps in that call center I mentioned above?

The dealership garages stay in business, not because of the after-warranty work they do, it's because of all the "warranty" work. Just don't be a jack-*** to the Service Rep and try to make a friend or two inside the garage.

Just don't expect them to give you a new engine if you blow it while running a s/c with a smaller pulley (Cobra's) or a s/c on a non-Cobra. Do not sweat putting a cold air induction kit on your car, they are not going to turn down warranty work for this. The burden of proof is still on the dealer to prove that the "aftermarket" part(s) caused whatever failure. For example, they can't turn down a warranty claim of your ABS sensor because you put a cold air induction system on your car.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

I wish that was the case where i live. The dealerships here refuse to even look at my car
Old 12-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Redline, they can't do that. They have to perform warranty work on your car regardless if it's modified or not.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

DAn, not true. lol. They dont have to look at it... unless you wanna pay for it. I actually feel bad for the people's car i work on. I have worked on a 03 GT, Roush CAI, flowmasters, and K&N. The guy complained about not starting some days, and surging/rough idle. The service manager took one look at this and told him to bring it to someplace else.
the first thing they would ask on any call, whether it was a F-150, or a Mustang, was "Is the PCM stock?" Are there any visual mods done under the hood? etc, etc.
All venom, i am going to agree with youre statements, but not all of them. First of all, i have never been asked that question when callign the TECH line. They ask me my name, dealership p. number, RO, miles, and problem. thats all. lol.
Next, it is up to the service manager. They decided weather or not to waste a claim on a mod'd pony. or anything else. AND, we dont make a ton of money off warranty work either. Infact techs dont make ****. So we would rather not take in warranty work. We dont stay in business because of warranty work. We stay in business because of the services. And loyal customers.
ANd yeah most of the time if the service manager think its caused by the after market part, then it will be kick out the door.
I work at a dealership with toyota, FORD, and Scion. Im gonna leave soon because of Ford carp work. It sucks. Toyota's are pretty much all service work. It would be different if FORD warranty, or any warranty actually paid you anything.
Not trying to be loyal to toyotas. But i am a Expert tech ( 2 ASE's away from Master) i like the way they are designed. On the other end i have never had a single problem with my pony. I love it. I couldnt ask for more. But some of the other cars Ford makes are just headaches.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:56 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

Casper,

I was telling the story based on my experiences. Of course, experiences will vary place by place. But you have got to be kidding that a car dealership garage stays in business because of work other than warranty work. I guestimate that over 75% of the work that is performed in a dealer is for warranty, why else would anyone pay 3 times as much for an oil change? People are less inclined to take their car to a dealership for the squeaks if it is not under warranty.

Also, the statement about saying the first thing the tech hotline asks is about mods was assuming that they had already gotten your name, etc. Also, this experience I was referring to was the norm while I was there during a particular week. Maybe it was just the two or three people I could hear constantly.

Old 12-19-2004, 04:35 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redline03GT

I wish that was the case where i live. The dealerships here refuse to even look at my car
CALL ford. That is compete bull****. The law states that they have to prove your aftermarket additions caused the problems.

I saw something like this in MM&FF, something about a guy did suspension work to the car and the engine died, ford refused to warrenty. They are not supposed to refuse anything unless it can be PROVEN that it caused the problem.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:43 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Redline03GT

CALL ford. That is compete bull****. The law states that they have to prove your aftermarket additions caused the problems.

I saw something like this in MM&FF, something about a guy did suspension work to the car and the engine died, ford refused to warrenty. They are not supposed to refuse anything unless it can be PROVEN that it caused the problem.
Thanks for the advice my friend, but i dont want the dealer touching my car anyways.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:00 AM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

I love all these replies that are insisting there is no such thing as injustice in the world, and if someone tries to cheat you, a phone call will fix the problem. I agree with redline03...if a dealership refuses to touch a car for warrenty work because of some mods that don't effect the warrent, they probably arent the best guys to go to for getting the car fixed anyway. Just my .02
Old 12-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

yeah i mean people specifically trained to work on your car by the people that made it...they shouldnt be messing with your car.

Quick Reply: Nitrous