Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell Of Nitrous In Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Default Smell Of Nitrous In Exhaust?

Question -- ifa car is spraying nitrous, can you smell something differentin its exhaust so that you can tell it is using nitrous? I haven't really run alongside acarbefore WHILE it was actually using nitrous, so I'm just curious.

The reason I ask is that I thought I smelled a very distrinctive smell coming from a ricer's car, and I thought it might have been caused by nitrous.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:03 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Smell Of Nitrous In Exhaust?

Pure N2O has no odor at all. I put 3 kids to sleep with it yesterday and they don't even know what hits them. After they are stunned you turn on the smelly stuff to take them all the way out.

They have modified the stuff for cars with sulfur dioxide to prevent abuse via huffing (one of our OR techs was found dead in the bottle room a few years back). It has the same rotten egg smell as the old catalytic converters. I really doubt that you would smelled it over anything else.

I do not have nitrous, but I've never smelled it at the track--either from the purge or out the tailpipe.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:06 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Yes, you can tell that you have been spraying. Like he said, rotten egg smell and you can smell it. I know, I have nitrous on 2 of my cars.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I guess that this can go back and fourth... I have a few friends with Nitrous and I can't smell ****[&:]
Old 05-26-2007, 11:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Do they add something to the NOS so it not mistaken for something else? I know they do at my hospital but that is a different story and a different use...LOL!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:54 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

You cannot smell nitrous when a car is using it. I have literally installed and tuned (on a dyno, indoors) dozens of kits and I have never smelled it. If you smell rotten eggs it is most likley your cats. What you might notice is some black smoke, particularly if the car is using a wet kit that is tuned a bit rich.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:17 PM
lmunz22
2nd Gear Member

Just wondering, is it possible to use nitrous from say, a dentist's office on the car?
Old 05-26-2007, 02:21 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: lmunz22

Just wondering, is it possible to use nitrous from say, a dentist's office on the car?
Yes, it is the same stuff except that the stuff for cars has a trace amount of sulpher dioxide added to prevnt people from huffing it.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:17 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

u can definitely tell when someone is using racing fuel. u'll know for sure that u are likely to get smoked when u smell that stuff burning. either that, or somebody thinks that using 116 octane is gonna give them more power for some reason.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:23 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

The stuff that is used in the hospital is the same stuff (N2O). They started adding sulfur dioxide around the early 80's to reduce abuse. I think the nozzle on the tank has a different size than our blue hospital tanks as well.

Of note, propane and natural gas for cooking is odorless as well. Sulfur dioxide is added so that you can tell if there is a gas leak in your system.

Quick Reply: Smell Of Nitrous In Exhaust?