Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEON foot well lights and trunk light - PICS AND VIDS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:30 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default NEON foot well lights and trunk light - PICS AND VIDS!!!

HEY GUYS...

so finally i was bored enough to install the neon foot well lights..

first off.. heres the pics of only parts of the isntall.. and also two videos. one of the footwell lights, and one of the trunk light that was requested a while back..

FOOT WELL NEON/LIGHT VIDEO

here is my trunk light install pics and video

TRUNK LIGHT VIDEO

heres the details and what not of the install..

first off, i bought two 10" blue neons from a store off of ebay for only $4.99 each plus i think $6.00 for shipping (that is the BEST price i have ever heard of for neons!!!)

tools/parts/materials needed-
-socket set (cant remember what size)
-18 ga or + wire.
- rocker switch
- a few terminals, connectors and other electrical must have's.. (i would just buy this little kit from walmart that has everything you will ever need for this kind of thing for $10)
- elecrical tape
- and i think that is it

ok so i wanted the neons to be conected to a dim switch so that i could adjust how bright they were becuase at night, when i had one blue one in my f150, it was so bright that it reflected off of the windows, and actually made it hard to see at night some times.. so this way i could adjust them..

i also wanted them to be connected some how wiht the head light switch so that they would not and could not be left on when the car was turned off, or if i forgot about it and parked the car..(i.e. so i dont drain my battery!)

alright now the install directions!!!!

-first i incestigated how to get to the head lgiht switch and dash light dimmer..
-for this you have to take off the step panel that says mustang on the door sill, and also the left driver's side kick panel.. from there you can then un bolt both screws under the steering wheel at the very bottom.. then slightly pull up and out on the panel.. (NOTICE: you will not be able to remove completely because inorder to do that, you must remove the cetner console and kick panel on the right side driver side or in the center in other words)

- once that dash panel with the head light switch and dim switch is pulled out and hanging, look on the back of the panel and press the silver clips that hold the bezel witht the head light switch and dimmer in place.. pop that enitre "block" out, and then press the panel back in so it doesnt warp or break or anything else..

- from here.. it took me about 30 mins to an hour to figure out witch swtich to come from and what wire to splice and tap into..

- the conclusion finally came to, the yellow w/ green line wire that is on the acutally head light switch.. this wire is what gives power to the bulb behind the siwtch that iluminates the back lighting..

- so i tapped that wire and ran a peice of 18 ga. wire about 18-22 inches long.. (better to be long then short)

- then after that i replaced the dash pieces and switch bezel back into place.. and then worked on the neon wiring, and ground...

- next i put the passenger side neon on the flor board, and spliced the wires and connected them to a piece of 18 ga. wire about 10-12 inches long.. and then fed them trhough the gap in the center consol across the hump in the floor board..

- from there i rigged a piece of 18 ga wire about 12 inches long one end just spliced and the other wiht a connecter to connect to the rocker switch

- then i hooked up the grounds and the power wires from both neons into one each.. (like this if it makes sence ==>---- , for the power and for the ground i place one ground from the drivers side neon, one ground from the passenger neon, and then the ground for the swtich (the loose one that i rigged in the previous step) all into a connector that was shapped like a horse shoe at the end.

*** if you are wondering why i am grounding the switch, its because it was a rocker switch wiht a led that lit up when power was flowing

- now look just to the left and behind the right kick panel on the driver side (center console).. there two big bolt taht are a metal to metal connection (perfect for ground).. this is where i loosened that bolt just a few turns, and then placed that horse shoe connecter with allt he ground wires, and placed it betweent eh washer on the bolt and the peice of metal.. then retighten/torque the bolt to about 35 ft lbs

-next i placed the neons where i wanted them under the dash were the tube it self could not be seen unless you look under, (this is so that it doesnt look liek crap.. i hate when you can see the tube from the neon)

- when i liked how they were placed.. i zip tied them to the existing taped wiring bundle (same thing for the passenger side)

- then i hid all the existing wire so it was not seen..

- now it was time for my alternative switch (this was so that i could have the head lights on wiht the neons on also, but if i didnnt them on at all.. i could flip the swtich and WA LA!!.. no more neons.. )

- i decided to place the swtich in teh right kick panel (cetner console) but all the way to the back in the corner basically.. (right next to where the two bolts where that i hooked the ground up to..) .. in this location, it is unseen from passengers, and also drivers, unless looking for it .. and also is within reach..

- now drill a hole that will fit the switch, insert it, screw the little nut on the back to hold it in place, and then hook up the connectors to the back of the siwtch (should be three connections being made.. on ground from the siwtch it self.. one ground from the neons.. and one power (input)..

now turn on your parking lgihts/headlamps.. adjust your dim switch to see a show of different brightness.. and then flip your rocker switch to see it turned off wiht parking lights/headlamps still on..

this took me all of about 3 hours only bc i had no idea where to start from or what wires to splice.. and alos because i took my time to make sure it looked OEM finish and so that not a wire could be seen!

i hope this helps any and all.. and let me know if you have any questions/comments.. and also there is a video of my trunk light that i installed a while back..

enjoy!
-GTstang

Old 05-27-2007, 11:03 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: NEON foot well lights and trunk light - PICS AND VIDS!!!

LOL I see you keep your stock airbox in the trunk...

But yes, very nice job.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ib4thatsrice
Old 05-27-2007, 11:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

umm yeah.....sorry dude...muscle cars dont have neon anything IMO
Old 05-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

I think as long as it's inside and not outside is fine.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:48 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Revlefty

I think as long as it's inside and not outside is fine.
+1, it looks good when u match it to ur instrument cluster. im red on red.

i put my switch under the steering wheel where the plastic is. if u look at pics 5 and 7 u can see a notch. i put some double sided tape on my rocker switch, and then wiped down the surface w/ an alcohol pad. i placed it right in front of the notch. it stays perfect and u cant see the switch. i drew power by splicing into the green wire of the cigarette lighter/power plug in the center console. i used zip ties to tie the neons under the dash against the massive bundles of wires. no drilling or taping, fully reversable w/out evidence of install. i also used zip ties to tie up any loose wires.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:27 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

yeah, its fine on the inside, about on the same level as people who put dash trim in or colored seats.

Anything is ok on the inside, its your personal space!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

honestly.. if you keep up with how rice a simple cheap little mod that is.. your crazy.. i can turn it off at anytime..

girls seemed to liek that stuff.. and it can be turned off in liek then a second.. and dimmed down also..

its accent.. it matces the instrument panel.. and it doesnt show at all on the outside..

but whatever..

Old 05-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

honestly.. if you keep up with how rice a simple cheap little mod that is.. your crazy.. i can turn it off at anytime..

girls seemed to liek that stuff.. and it can be turned off in liek then a second.. and dimmed down also..

its accent.. it matces the instrument panel.. and it doesnt show at all on the outside..

but whatever..

If you like it, isn't that all that matters? I don't think its to bad. I just wouldn't personally do it to my car.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:13 AM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

I have done exactly the same set up with one BIG difference.... my footwell lights are tied into
the same circuit with the overhead console courtesy lights and I can control them with the two OEM switches.

Quick Reply: NEON foot well lights and trunk light - PICS AND VIDS!!!