Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CMCV Delete Plate install (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM
SGT0779

Default RE: CMCV Delete Plate install (with pics)

hey bill,
I installed delete plates in my 07 shelby gt and I'm getting error code P2015 says....
Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance .I just got it back from the tuner (using sct ex2 tuner).Can my tuner correct this problem.The code was comming up before the tune aswell.I would realy like for my tuner to delete the cmcv motor.Thanx for you help.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:51 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SGT0779
Can my tuner correct this problem.The code was comming up before the tune aswell.I would realy like for my tuner to delete the cmcv motor.Thanx for you help.
A tune adjustment (to deactivate the CMCV motor and adjust the A/F) is required when installing these delete plates. It's not something you can do with the XCal2 handheld, must be done by your tuner. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:37 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Great write-up as always. I used it when installing mine last week and it made it very easy. I did learn the hardway, however, that Harbor Freight does not have good torque wrenches. Manifold bolts #1 & #2 broke off in the block during reassembly. Never using a torque wrench before, when I heard a pop, I thought it was torqued and moved to bolt #2. When that one popped, I realized it didn't feel right, and sure enough, reached down and pulled the top half of each bolt up. So I hand tightened the rest and now I'm at a loss. Seems to me 8 bolts is enough, but then again, Ford used 10 for a reason. If anyone can help, that'd be much appreciated. Guess I'll have to shell out the money and get a real torque wrench from Sears. I tried this one on the 20 lb setting on something I didn't care about and it wouldn't stop even at 20 lbs.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 AM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Awsome write up as useuall. Thanks for taking all the time to document your installs, you don't have any clue how many fallow stang owners you have helped.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:52 AM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

Awesome write ups. I go to your site all the time for your detailed write ups. You are definatly helping the S197 community a great deal.

TASSY5
New Orleans
07 Alloy GT
Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

Manifold bolts #1 & #2 broke off in the block during reassembly.
Hey Steve, sorry to hear that. They've must have been torqued down pretty hard to sheer the bolt. I'm betting it'll be fine, but it should be fixed at one point.
When you do decide to fix them, remove the manifold and see if any part of the broken stud is sticking up past the heads. If so, you may be able to get a set of vise-grips on them and turn them out. If they're recessed, you have no choice but to easy-out them. Either case, make sure you tape up the intake ports before extracting those studs.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks Bill. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks it'll be ok for now. I'll definitely tape up the ports, just as in the installation. The bolts sheared about half way down, so I'm almost 100% certain that they're broke inside the block. I'll have to check out easy out. I guess the other option would be drilling and retapping for a larger bolt.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

DarkFireGT, and TacoBill, I gotta disagree on this one. I DO NOT believe everything is OK. One thing I've learned in the past with cars is the intake manifolds and the accompanying bolts are designed as they are for very strict reasons. You probably need all of them and need them tightened down fairly close to spec. Its the same reason why there are instructions on tightening order - because its that important! I once had a Jaguar with 6 intake manifold bolts. I broke one. Within minutes of driving it threw 14 computer codes. Eek. Got a new bolt and paid to have the old one removed, and sure enough the computer cleared itself. Of course thats a stupid finicky jaguar while these are tough fords but you get the point.

All I'm saying is be prepared! It seems like me like intake manifold bolts are about as complicated as certain suspension bolts and need to be near perfect.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

I agree too that all the manifold bolts should be all in place and torqued to spec. However, in the interim, there are probably enough fastenersto squeeze down the CMCV plates enough to create a seal around all the intake port (from the green gaskets).

I would think that if there was a leak path, the computer should recognize it and throw a code almost immediately.

Bottom line, it should get fixed as soon as possible, but I wouldn't classify it as a 911 situation. I would avoid any full throttle situations in the interim. [8D]
Old 09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

I agree too that all the manifold bolts should be all in place and torqued to spec. However, in the interim, there are probably enough fastenersto squeeze down the CMCV plates enough to create a seal around all the intake port (from the green gaskets).

I would think that if there was a leak path, the computer should recognize it and throw a code almost immediately.

Bottom line, it should get fixed as soon as possible, but I wouldn't classify it as a 911 situation. I would avoid any full throttle situations in the interim. [8D]
+1.....the green gaskets are going to still seal so you are ok but i would get it fixed

Quick Reply: CMCV Delete Plate install (with pics)