Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross Racing 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:06 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Autocross Racing 1

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Autocrossing is a BLAST. I last did it about 3 or 4 years ago, in a Saturn SC2 (which actually handled the courses pretty good; the last time I did it,[ ... ] I need to just run and get used to a RWD vehicle again, put myself in as a novice in stock, if I can...
Here's the San Diego schedule, also a link to the L.A. area SCCA:
http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedule/

The mid-July dates include a practice day and a Championship event. You can always drive up on the day of the Champ event, buy a "Solo Card" or one-day permit, but you only get four runs. On practice days you run for about an hour and a half, as many times as you can get in line. Depending on the number in your group, you can get quite a few in; in early May, the first group did nine, for the most part, second group was smaller, and I got in 12 (twelve!) runs. There are four run groups at practices, but I didn't stay around for the last two.

Trouble with practice events, they limit the number of entries to sixty, and require pre-registration by mail. I was lucky, went very early on Saturday, asked if I could help, and lo! and behold, there was a cancellation and they took my entry. But I wouldn't count on that.

The July 28 tentative date is likely to be a "Novice school", with instruction and section-by-section practice and whole-course laps as passenger and as driver. Looks like a good value to me, and after a 30-year layoff from autocross (It was slalom when I did it!) participation, I need all the help I can get!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:49 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Autocross Racing 1

Autocrossing is a lot of fun and is very inexpensive. it just sucks that once you start modding you get classed into oblivion. my k-memberpretty much f'd me. I think i'd be in Street Mod now.I miss being stock sometimes.