Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:22 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)

Nice writeup. What speakers did you use and how did you mount them? Somebody already asked, but how do they sound?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lundis

im going to disagree with your methods, but i may be talking out of my *** since i do not yet owna mustang (waiting for 08)

i NEVER install power wires through the wheel well. ive seen too many wires corrode and cause shorts (and therefore, fires) from that. i always run it through the firewall, through the main grommet. if there is no grommet (im not sure on a mustang...but most newer cars have one) then i drill one. this is a difficult method, and best left to pros, but the RIGHT way to do it.
You'll find out when you get the mustang that the gromet that I used is the main firewall gromet. There is not one in the engine bay. As long as you properly protect the wire with a wire loom as seen with mine, you should not have any problems. The wheel well cover does protect that area of the firewall remarkably well. I have also had to drill firewall holes when I did a buddies installation and you're right, leave it to the pro's unless you really know what you are doing. I do feel this is a safe way of doing it and is where most people run the power wires from.

ORIGINAL: Joe Time

So How does the Shaker 500 System sound now with the Amp Installed? Considerably Better???
ORIGINAL: wthalliii

Nice writeup. What speakers did you use and how did you mount them? Somebody already asked, but how do they sound?
I think the system does sound quite a bit better than stock in terms of bass. It is not going to make the regular speakers sound any better but it definitely solves the 'not enough bass for me' issue. I did also install a cut off switch so that I can still listen to the radio without the trunk subs if I so choose (ie. talkshows in the morning or something).

As for the speakers and how did I mount them, I'm going to assume you mean my subs as I did not replace the factory speakers. I have 2 12w0 JL subs in a box. Right now they are just sitting in the trunk as I'm trying to devise a way to hold them down how I want (upside down and leaning against the seat incline).
Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lundis

im going to disagree with your methods, but i may be talking out of my *** since i do not yet owna mustang (waiting for 08)

i NEVER install power wires through the wheel well. ive seen too many wires corrode and cause shorts (and therefore, fires) from that. i always run it through the firewall, through the main grommet. if there is no grommet (im not sure on a mustang...but most newer cars have one) then i drill one. this is a difficult method, and best left to pros, but the RIGHT way to do it.
I had my stereo professionally done and they used 00 guage which is the size of your thumb. They too did exactly what this tutorial said (which is go through the whell well behind the cover and punch through the main gromet. Yes they too used a wire loom to house the power cable.

Nice write up BTW. If I had more time and energy after working the 60Hours + a week I would have done it myself, I used to love doing this as a kid. Thank god for sabbaticals, mine coming up this year.....
Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07SCGT

Nice write up BTW. If I had more time and energy after working the 60Hours + a week I would have done it myself, I used to love doing this as a kid. Thank god for sabbaticals, mine coming up this year.....
It is starting to get a bit old, this is the 3rd car I've done it to but I'm still young
Old 06-05-2007, 03:04 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Scotchlocks? Shame on you. And that ground connection
leaves something to be desired. A wood screw into wood?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

Scotchlocks? Shame on you. And that ground connection
leaves something to be desired. A wood screw into wood?
I used what screws I had ... and how does the ground leave something to be desired? It is a metal screw holding two metal tabs together that is screwed into wood. When you ground the ground wire to sheetmetal, how is that any different than using a metal tab? The only difference is that I have a wood backing so it holds the screw tighter and the connection tighter than not having anything behind it when you use sheet metal.

For the record, I also used a multimeter to verify that the tab was properly grounded.

It's easy to bash but explain why what I did was wrong. If you have a legit point, I'd love to improve my knowledge and help out the next person.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Excellent write-up my young Apprentice! [8D]

It wasvery well written and all the stepsin logical order. What I try to accomplish in my write-ups is for anyone to view the steps and perform the mod or install. No matter how simple or obvious a step is, I still spell it out, just like what you did on disconnecting the battery.

Again, good job!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:58 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

And just how did you use that multimeter to check the ground connection?
With the Ohms setting? Or did you do a voltage drop test from the amp
ground input to the negative post on the battery? I need more info on this
correct way you did things. And using scotchlocks? I am not into bashing.
I recently installed fogs and got it all hooked up OEM. I paid premium
for a "custom harness". It was full of scotchlocks. What a waste of $80.
You can bet there were no scotchlocks when I was done. And I have
the logic like I want it. OEM switch and all. Invest in a good soldering iron
and some heatshrink.
Tape is a no-no in my book.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Stormbringer
2nd Gear Member

I can see where youre coming from on the scotch locks... I dont think it will be a problem on the inside of the car... Ive used them before without any issues. Its when people use them to do things like wiring trailers that they almost always end in a catestrophic failure. Soldering is best, but a good crimped on butt spice usually works pretty well too.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:26 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

And just how did you use that multimeter to check the ground connection?
With the Ohms setting? Or did you do a voltage drop test from the amp
ground input to the negative post on the battery? I need more info on this
correct way you did things. And using scotchlocks? I am not into bashing.
I recently installed fogs and got it all hooked up OEM. I paid premium
for a "custom harness". It was full of scotchlocks. What a waste of $80.
You can bet there were no scotchlocks when I was done. And I have
the logic like I want it. OEM switch and all. Invest in a good soldering iron
and some heatshrink.
Tape is a no-no in my book.
The easiest way beside a multimeter to tell if you have a bad ground is to start the car and drive it around with the speaker volume set to minimum 2-3 on the volume. If you here alternator whine and or your amp constantly cuts out or shuts off, then you have a bad ground. No alternator whine, or cutting outmeans you "most likely" don't have a ground loop failure.

Quick Reply: How To: Amp Install (w/ Pics! 56k warning)