Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever heard of adding acetone to your gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:11 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone ever heard of adding acetone to your gas tank?

lol u got a point, no i really dont, i was just curious lol
Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I think I'm going to try it on one of my SUV's in the coming weeks and I'll post back. 1/4-1/2 cup in 20 gallons won't do any damage to anything.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 AM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

I think acetone is the main ingrediant in fuel system cleaner, isn't it?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 AM
yzfmik
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys and I didn't say I was going to do it, I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of it becouse I told him I didn't believe it and wouldn't try it.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:11 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

its amazing how close mindedpeople can be, speaking without knowing.

acetone is the main ingredient in most fuel system cleaners. also, the amount you add to a tank is so insignificant it can't cause harm. an experiment was performed in which fuel system components were left to sit in pure acetone for a year. the worst that happened was that the rubber swelled a bit. you, however, would be adding 2 ounces per 10 gallons. thats .33333% of your tank, less than 1/300th. acetone decreases the surface tension of fuel allowing it to achieve a better vapor state in the engine. this has several effects. 1) the fuel burns more completely in this state, this causes the sensors to read this condition in the exhaustand lean the fuel out slightly (that's where the gas savings come from). it's not a bad lean though, it just means that less fuel is required for the engine to perform the same task. 2) because the fuel is burning more completely you will have cleaner emissions, this combined with decreased fuel consumption helps the environment a bit. 3) more complete combustion also means less build up. all this increases performance and efficiency, albeit slightly. cost vs benefit though, it is worth it. for more info look up "louis lapointe."

also, if you don't believe it, check out this list of people who experimented: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

many different cars, many different results. some people it doesn't work for. different conditions allow for better results. new oil, good oil, driving habits, weight, engine size, etc... the claim by lapointe (i believe this was his claim), was a gain of 10%-35% increase in MPG. if we get in the area of 19 MPG mixed driving (thats what i get), you should see an increase of 1.9 MPGto about 7 MPG. i'd have to venture and say less cuz we have such large engines. i personally tried this. im on tank two. im trying very hard to keep my driving habits consistent, erring on the side of pushing it hard to see if anything changes. normally i drive about 50/50 highway/city. lately i've been doing more city, and running it hard. my computer calculated MPG has gone up, in the last two tanks, from 19.0 MPG to 19.3 MPG. the last time i reset the MPG counter was over 5000 miles ago. i think that's a hell of an increase for two tanks, considering all the history it has factored into it. i also do this to test increase. i fill the tank, and then when its near empty i fill it again. lets say when i fill it again, i get about 15 gallons at the pump. then i divide the new fill amount (which is the same amount used in the last tank), into miles used on the last fill up. thats the better way to gauge the change. on my last fill up i gotabout 21 MPG. thatsabout a10% increase. also, i normally alwayscalculate my MPG that way, so my baseline of 19 MPG from the comp was over estimating, i normally get about18.5. the comp is counting for a long trip i took all over the state of florida shortly after i reset it, cuz i was curious how it would read from the trip. so likei said, my true mpg went from 18.5 to about 21. i'm gonna try a few more tanks to see how it is. also, i just changed my oil for the latest tank. you know how the car feels frictiony when the oil gets old? well, when i added the acetone before the oil change, that friction feeling nearly dissappeared. the car, if anything, is certainly a lot more smoother, another benefit of more complete combustion.

anyway, if you're gonna do it, definitely be careful if you value your paint. i put it in a semi-clear (becausei heard clear plastic will melt) ketchup bottle with a long spout that i got at walmart. i measure out a bit over 3 ounces, then i carefully squirt it in halfway before i fill up at the pump, and then fill it up completely after its been added. i also got the acetone from walmart for $13/gallon. it is 99.5% pure. its important to get pure acetone, 99.5% is more than acceptable. i also keep a rag under the whole dealywhen adding, just in case, though im damn careful.

thats my two centavos
Old 06-28-2007, 02:17 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

I heard if you pee in your gas tank you will get better fuel econmy too! Try it.....

Sorry but when you own a muscle car do you really concern yourself with fuel economy?
though you have to agree with this. its not that im concerned with economy, i was just curious. you have to admit it's interesting.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

its amazing how close mindedpeople can be, speaking without knowing.

acetone is the main ingredient in most fuel system cleaners. also, the amount you add to a tank is so insignificant it can't cause harm. an experiment was performed in which fuel system components were left to sit in pure acetone for a year. the worst that happened was that the rubber swelled a bit. you, however, would be adding 2 ounces per 10 gallons. thats .33333% of your tank, less than 1/300th. acetone decreases the surface tension of fuel allowing it to achieve a better vapor state in the engine. this has several effects. 1) the fuel burns more completely in this state, this causes the sensors to read this condition in the exhaustand lean the fuel out slightly (that's where the gas savings come from). it's not a bad lean though, it just means that less fuel is required for the engine to perform the same task. 2) because the fuel is burning more completely you will have cleaner emissions, this combined with decreased fuel consumption helps the environment a bit. 3) more complete combustion also means less build up. all this increases performance and efficiency, albeit slightly. cost vs benefit though, it is worth it. for more info look up "louis lapointe."

also, if you don't believe it, check out this list of people who experimented: http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

many different cars, many different results. some people it doesn't work for. different conditions allow for better results. new oil, good oil, driving habits, weight, engine size, etc... the claim by lapointe (i believe this was his claim), was a gain of 10%-35% increase in MPG. if we get in the area of 19 MPG mixed driving (thats what i get), you should see an increase of 1.9 MPGto about 7 MPG. i'd have to venture and say less cuz we have such large engines. i personally tried this. im on tank two. im trying very hard to keep my driving habits consistent, erring on the side of pushing it hard to see if anything changes. normally i drive about 50/50 highway/city. lately i've been doing more city, and running it hard. my computer calculated MPG has gone up, in the last two tanks, from 19.0 MPG to 19.3 MPG. the last time i reset the MPG counter was over 5000 miles ago. i think that's a hell of an increase for two tanks, considering all the history it has factored into it. i also do this to test increase. i fill the tank, and then when its near empty i fill it again. lets say when i fill it again, i get about 15 gallons at the pump. then i divide the new fill amount (which is the same amount used in the last tank), into miles used on the last fill up. thats the better way to gauge the change. on my last fill up i gotabout 21 MPG. thatsabout a10% increase. also, i normally alwayscalculate my MPG that way, so my baseline of 19 MPG from the comp was over estimating, i normally get about18.5. the comp is counting for a long trip i took all over the state of florida shortly after i reset it, cuz i was curious how it would read from the trip. so likei said, my true mpg went from 18.5 to about 21. i'm gonna try a few more tanks to see how it is. also, i just changed my oil for the latest tank. you know how the car feels frictiony when the oil gets old? well, when i added the acetone before the oil change, that friction feeling nearly dissappeared. the car, if anything, is certainly a lot more smoother, another benefit of more complete combustion.

anyway, if you're gonna do it, definitely be careful if you value your paint. i put it in a semi-clear (becausei heard clear plastic will melt) ketchup bottle with a long spout that i got at walmart. i measure out a bit over 3 ounces, then i carefully squirt it in halfway before i fill up at the pump, and then fill it up completely after its been added. i also got the acetone from walmart for $13/gallon. it is 99.5% pure. its important to get pure acetone, 99.5% is more than acceptable. i also keep a rag under the whole dealywhen adding, just in case, though im damn careful.

thats my two centavos
You know, I find it HILARIOUS that you mention that acetone does not damage components, and point to a web page that states it doesn't damage based upon a study, yet ON THE WEB PAGE ITSELF IT STATES IT DOES!!! Did you even read the text on the web page?!?

Let me show you the text I pulled, right near the top of the page...

A growing number of people are reporting their results, as tabulated here. Most have noted modest increased mileage (e.g. 2-15%), more power, more stable idle, faster start-up, cleaner emmissions. Part of that improvement is likely to be from the cleaning of the engine that the acetone accomplishes, without impinging lubricity. A few have not seen an increase in mileage at the concentration of acetone they tried. Too much acetone decreases mileage. Some have reported that Alcohol in the fuel tends to reduce the positive effects of acetone. No one has yet reported damage to their engine from acetone being added to the fuel. Several have soaked fuel components in pure acetone for extended periods and have not seen substantial effect other than some minor swelling.

Banned
Vietnam officially bans acetone as additive in gasoline(http://www.platts.com/HOME/News/9320...mp;p=HOME/News) - Acetone is a solvent that can be used as an additive for boosting octane levels in gasoline. However, a high amount of acetone in gasoline can affect the rubber seals of vehicle engines, and is being blamed for the large-scale breakdown of motorcycles in Ho Chi Minh. (Platts; Sept. 8, 2006)
Hmm...Why would they have put a line through "No one has yet reported damage to their engine from acetone being added to the fuel", and why would a link show that Vietnam bans it as an additive because acetone is affecting the rubber seals of vehicle engines?

Old 06-28-2007, 03:16 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout
Hmm...Why would they have put a line through "No one has yet reported damage to their engine from acetone being added to the fuel", and why would a link show that Vietnam bans it as an additive because acetone is affecting the rubber seals of vehicle engines?
They put that line in because it would be a reasonable concern to have, so it answers the question everyone will ask.

Note, the Vietnam article states a "high amount" of acetone is blamed for breakdowns in motorcycles. First of all, what is a high amount? Second, referring back to lldsandsll's post, he points out that at the recomended dosage the concentration is 0.333% - I doubt that qualifies as a "high amount." Furthermore, the VN article doesn't go into any detail about the motorcycles (brand, engine type, age, fuel system materials, etc). One would assume that if they're adding it to motorcycles, they're probably adding it to cars as well, yet there's no mention of trouble with cars.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

ORIGINAL: Sprzout
They put that line in because it would be a reasonable concern to have, so it answers the question everyone will ask.

Note, the Vietnam article states a "high amount" of acetone is blamed for breakdowns in motorcycles. First of all, what is a high amount? Second, referring back to lldsandsll's post, he points out that at the recomended dosage the concentration is 0.333% - I doubt that qualifies as a "high amount." Furthermore, the VN article doesn't go into any detail about the motorcycles (brand, engine type, age, fuel system materials, etc). One would assume that if they're adding it to motorcycles, they're probably adding it to cars as well, yet there's no mention of trouble with cars.
Actually, the recommended dose is about 2 ounces per 10 gallons (1280 ounces) or about 0.15%. But that is niether here nor there. I wouldn't really believe the fuel mileage increases until I saw hard evidence, but I wouldn't be afraid to try it either considering that acetone is the main ingredient in almost every octane booster on the market. So, somebody do a decent study on this stuff and give us the results.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:56 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

They had this on Mythbusters ( a T.V. show that proves a dis-proves myths )

their finding.. ( after a lot of work ) myth BUSTED.. it DOES NOT WORK..!!!

Period...!!!!

just my 2 cents..

R

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever heard of adding acetone to your gas tank?