Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local Car Show Was a Waste Of Time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Local Car Show Was a Waste Of Time!

ORIGINAL: TTSRACINGWORLD

Hey moonbaby, How did you K&N Typhoon fit for you. I did mine about a week ago and it took some work to get it to fit. Also half of the directions were missing. I been thinking of putting mine into a show. It's been about 19 years since I put a car in a show...................around the time I met my wife............. is there a connection..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm anyway, back then I had a 1984 Camaro and the best I did was 2 3rd places.
I actually had no problems with the fit. Everything seemed to align pretty well. Just like yours, half of my instilation directions were missing. Luckily i had downloaded the instilation directions ina PDF earlier. I took my laptop out to the car to finish my instilation.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I don't get it...
You have what appears to be a bone stock, late model Mustang. What exactly qualifies that car for any kind of medal or trophy?
Look at the Mustangs that are winning at the car shows and all the mods they have![:-]
That's what I didn't get either, I did the show just for the fun of doing them, and the entry fee went to a good cause. The class was just that though, STOCK they allowed 3 mods, anything more than that and you were forced into a "street machine" class which put you in with just about everything, not just mustangs. IMO, there should have been two classes for mustangs, stock and modified all years, same with Camaros. They did have this setup for corvettes though. That's why I was so baffled at getting a trohpy, there was a very nice 67 fastback that didn't even place. I'd have been pissed if I was in his shoes. By next summer, I will have quite a few more mods so it looks like I'll be in with all the other street machines. I highly doubt placing at all then.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:17 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Moonbaby1973

First of all, my mustang is not stock. I dont have a lot of obvious mods. I prefer subtle mods. I liek the sort of things that you look at and realize that its not stock, but your not quite sure whats different. Just because i dont go with totally rebuilding my car, does not mean that its not a beautifull car. My point is that i lost to cars that dont belong in a show. Dirty, scratched up cars owned by people who think stickers are a mod.
Yep.. completely understand what you are saying... problem is most people will never notice your subtle mods.Heck most people won't even notice you have a V6! When I first started showing my car every one thought it had to be a GT... Do you have a nice sign/poster point out what you've done to your car? You need to toot your own horn, because otherwise people just thing you got you car that way... Take a look a my car... I still have people asking me, "Did it come from the factory that way?" LOL!

Ok... todays car show story... it was a "judged" show, so I thought i'ld do pretty good.. the class was domestic 1993 to present.. cool... that's a good range for me... I get there and I park next to a guy with a 57 t-bird... he tells, me "You've got the wrong brand... The judge likes camaros NOT mustangs..." Sure enough.... 1st and 2nd went to basically stock, so-so Camaros... imagine that!!! LOL! You have to laugh at these things or you'll drive yourself crazy...

oh... but my new JVC stereo paid off... I did end up winning "Best In Car Entertainment"... LOL!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
WolfeStang
1st Gear Member

see, thats when you peel out and do donuts screaming obsenities.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 PM
FergieGT07
1st Gear Member

I can relate to some of these accounts. I have a glassback roof that costs thousands to put in but no one notices if I don't point it out.Looks like I painted my roof glossy black from adistance.I have since made a show board and it points out most of my notable modifications. Now that the turbo is in I should start raking in some trophies(or so I hope!). Judges love those power adders.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FergieGT07

I can relate to some of these accounts. I have a glassback roof that costs thousands to put in but no one notices if I don't point it out.Looks like I painted my roof glossy black from adistance.I have since made a show board and it points out most of my notable modifications. Now that the turbo is in I should start raking in some trophies(or so I hope!). Judges love those power adders.
Yep... i agree on the Glassback... no one would notice it's actually glass... That's why i made this as soon as I got the car back:

and yes... power adders are a definite PLUS!! LOL!
Old 07-10-2007, 06:19 AM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I don't get it...
You have what appears to be a bone stock, late model Mustang. What exactly qualifies that car for any kind of medal or trophy?
Look at the Mustangs that are winning at the car shows and all the mods they have![:-]
I somewhat agree with this comment.
most late model car shows what flash, and bling, you enter a very nice fairly stock car in a flash and bling show, you will loose.
I entered my car in a Custom Cruiser show last year, and found this out the hard way. I was competing against trailer queens, as clean as my car was, it was not perfect, I mean it's a daily driver how clean can it be. most late model cars there were pissed becasue the judging was based on presentation
and not the wow factor. Anyway you need bling to win in ricer shows, add a huge sub and some nice chrome parts, a couple of monitors and some spinners and your a sure win.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
06blueovalblueGT
2nd Gear Member

Hey man don't give up,

3 shows,
2 "Peoples Choice" trophys !!

And I'm SO stock, I still have the dealer stock # ring hangin from the rearview mirror.
Sometimes you have to pick your battleground. Rice shows have rice winners.
Take the "pleather" seat wipes when your done and use them on the engine bay hoses and trim,
Show up better than showroom clean and let the people decide !!!
My 2nd trophy was won right along with a car like yours !!!
Keep it up.............
Old 07-10-2007, 02:14 PM
REMMustang05
1st Gear Member

I had this problem with my car. I took it to its first show about two months ago. I won "Top Choice" award but so did about 10 others. I entered in late model domestics and my competition was a stock '03 Vette and two stock camaros. Well. I didnt win! The freakin STOCK Vette won. My friends dad showed up and said shoot i could have brought my vette in and won, he has the exact same vette as the guy who won. I got A LOT of compilments on my car and I figured I had it in the bag.. well the guy who won also won the classic car class with his really nice '66 vette. Before they even announced his name he walked up to recieve placks. Im 99% sure he was incharge of the show since it was sponsored by my College. I think you have to go to a real show where judges actually know their stuff because the subtle changes no one will notice unless they know what the car looked like stock. I think its funny because Chip Foose's main objective is not to make the car look customized. He said in in inerview that he dosnt want people to say " Hey i noticed you added this or that" but to rather think it came like that. OH ALSO the person who won best interior was a kid who basically bought a new dodge dakota and brought it to the show. NOTHING was custom.

I didnt have a sign to show what I've done but I also wasnt sure if the show was going to happen since it rained.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

My wife and I are organizing our first car show this year. One of the decisions that we made early on was who to bring in as judges. We had advice from several knowledgable car show people to the contrary, but what we decided was that the best judges would be the car owners themselves.

If I entered my car, and the local mayor said I had a nice car (and awarded me a trophy), I'd smile when they took my picture. If car owners that put thousands of hours into their own car said that I deserved a trophy, that would be a complement of a much higher order.

In the process of promoting our show, I was at a neighboring car show a couple of weeks ago, and talked to a guy with an immaculate1969 Mach1. He said he entered a big car show this spring and beat out many cars he thought were much better than his. A few weeks later, he went to a small car show and got nothing.

By sheer coincidence, this same guy has run another car show that is widely respected. We were able to gleen some good advice from him. Unfortunately, he had no idea what gave him the win (when he didn't deserve it), or no win (when it should've been an easy trip to the trophy stand).

When someone like that doesn't understand, I doubt there's any logic to the decision.

Edit: I forgot to mention in the original post that unless it's a major show with actual published judging guidelines, and things like that, I don't see these local car show trophies as the true motivation for showing a car. Maybe it's being able to be amongst the coolest cars around, or maybe it's meeting other "car people", or maybe it's something as simple as having an excuse to get the pride and joy out of the garage. Whatever the reason, the trophies, dash plaques, and other goodies are icing on the cake, not the cake itself. Just my 2 cents.....

Quick Reply: Local Car Show Was a Waste Of Time!