Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drives on my service car?

Old 01-20-2005, 06:24 PM
karazuba
1st Gear Member

Default Test drives on my service car?

Question for the informed people here...

Took my GT in for service today (hearing the bumping from the front shock towers, wanted them to take a look and hopefully replace the strut mount bearings, which seems to be the cause, judging by the information on earlier posts here) and was asked a very interesting question by the dealer. The conversation went something like this...

Dealer "Hey, since you have a GT with a manual transmission, would you mind if we took it for a test drive with a couple of potential customers?"

Me: "Uhh....yes, I would mind. I don't want anyone driving the car but me, and one of your service techs if they need to road test to make sure the repairs are correct."

Dealer "Well, it would really help us out...."

Me: "Nope."

It baffled me that they would even ask this. So, my question---If the dealer hadn't asked to take it out, and had used it on test drives with potential customers, what do you think my recourse could be? (risks to auto insurance, traffic tickets, accidents, and others are a few of the potential problems for me here!)

Personally, if I got wind that this actually happened, I'd probably be thinking along the lines of car theft (an unauthorized person driving my car), and I'd expect recourse from the dealer...as in, free scheduled maintainence for the foreseeable future, maybe the managers head on a stick, etc... What would you guys expect, if anything? Or am I just being **** here?

Old 01-20-2005, 06:41 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Test drives on my service car?

I would be a little PO'd as well, especially without my permission. They had some ***** asking you that question. If they did take it out without your permission and you found out about it, I would ask for lifetime service with a loaner Mustang (we can't be without it) and the salesmans commission for all the new Mustangs they sell for 2005.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Jeffn

Sure, for 2% of all the contracts written up from it...[8D]
Old 01-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

lol... If that did happen. How would you find out, and 2, if you did by chance drive around and see them in youre car. Do you think they would just laugh at you because you probably couldnt prove it.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:41 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

I can't believe they would ask you that! What kind of stupid person would allow them to use their car for test drives? That's just stupid really.

I always always make note of my mileage before I get out of the car and if it's the least bit off (and they didn't need to drive to test anything) I definitely start asking questions.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:48 AM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

I agree with xRockThePonyx. I write my mileage down as well when I drop it off to get serviced.
Casper is right, how could you prove it? The service dept. could always say the excess mileage was a tech. driving it to make sure the problem was fixed.
Makes me wonder about mine. My Mustang is supposed to be ready in Mid March. I won't be back from Iraq until the end of March. My dealer said that if it comes in before I get home, they will put it on the sales floor for people to look at, but not drive. This post has got me wondering now.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:00 PM
karazuba
1st Gear Member

Biged3,

Just have a buddy go down to the dealer and note the mileage on the car when it comes in. any dealer worth their weight won't mind this, especially for someone making the sacrifice you are for this country.

you come home safe. we all support you and cannot express how grateful we are for what you are doing!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

It baffled me that they would even ask this. So, my question---If the dealer hadn't asked to take it out, and had used it on test drives with potential customers, what do you think my recourse could be? (risks to auto insurance, traffic tickets, accidents, and others are a few of the potential problems for me here!)
I'll tell ya what recourse you have. You could have sue'd their asses for all their worth. Take it from a guy who had his $63,000 Saleen total'd by his local dealer. I would have gone straight to the dealer owner/corporation. You did the right thing by declining. Makes you wonder how often it happens to the average guy/gal.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:49 PM
outdoorstom

I wouldn't even want it on the showroom floor. I wouldn't want people climbing in and out of it, pushing buttons, opening and closing things, kids climbing in the back, etc.

Biged3 - Be safe and over there and know we truly appreciative of what you guys are doing over there [sm=smiley20.gif]