Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripes bunching vinyl under hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:23 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stripes bunching vinyl under hood scoop?

Yeah, I have the bunching with my Roush scoop as well. And, I have had the scoop off, removed the 3M tape and replaced with weatherstripping, to no avail. If the weatherstripping is too thick, then the scoop rides up and looks like crap. If not thick enough, bunching........

Mike
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Bump
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 PM
bplemmons
1st Gear Member

Can someone take some close up pictures where of the vinal bunching up so I can see what it's going to look like?

Bill
Old 07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bplemmons

Can someone take some close up pictures where of the vinal bunching up so I can see what it's going to look like?

Bill
Here is what mine looked like.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:16 PM
trailblazer

I have the same prolem.Did exactly what Rob said about using thicker wheatherstripping but mine still bunched up.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:21 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the pics wingman - I had read about this but never seen it - looks bad. Just wondering - does this happen to everyone? If not, it must have something to do with the particular scoops. Please keep this thread going as I was seriuosly considering getting a Roush scoop and stripes but will hold off if this happens to most people or if a cause/effect isn't identified.

ORIGINAL: wingman75

ORIGINAL: bplemmons

Bill
Here is what mine looked like.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogan01

Thanks for the pics wingman - I had read about this but never seen it - looks bad. Just wondering - does this happen to everyone? If not, it must have something to do with the particular scoops. Please keep this thread going as I was seriuosly considering getting a Roush scoop and stripes but will hold off if this happens to most people or if a cause/effect isn't identified.
Glad to help and if you go back and read the threads, you'll see there are guys with Roush scoops with this problem too. I'm just trying to confirm for Rob that this is a legitimate concern. No one wants to go through the expense of putting them on or paying to have them installed and then have them disfigured by the bunching. It looks better with out stripes than to have them look like that (see photos below). If your showing your car this will definately take points off.

I have talked to Rob about this as I said in the first post and if you guys are not letting him know he has no incentive to correct the situation. Please let him know... send emails or call him. Thanks!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

bump
Old 07-28-2007, 02:44 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

ORIGINAL: fairlane292
The ony thing is, cutting around the scoop will leave cuts in the clearcoat. You won't see them with the stripes on but when you remove the vinyl you will see this; I don't care how experienced the vinyl graphics guy is. I helped out in a family run shop for over a year; how doyou exacto cut down through the vinyl and not touch the cc even lightly with the knife ? Can't be done at least not with near 100% success. Saw many attempts to do this and while I was very adept with the knife, it was virtually impossible for me as well, no matter how slow, careful and well lit the surface was. I'm thinking the best approach is a thin to medium layer of clear silicone caulk on the scoop, let dry, then apply a fresh thin layer of same and bolt down but only so the new film of silicone meets the vinyl . After it dries give the nuts another1/2 turn. Use locking nuts! The silicone should flex and not grab the vinyl causing it to bunch up. No guarantee this will solve the problem; scoops aren't meant to be put down on vinyl.
I agree no one can cut them without cutting into the paint/clearcoat. What I have proposed to Rob is to design the pieces for the hoods with a cutout to match the hood scoops shape just as he has designed around the license plate opening and the fake gas cap in the rear. Then the scoop would not need to be removed to install the stripes and it would not rest atop the vinyl. I just hope he realizes that this is a problem for a lot of guys and it makes sense to address it.
I'll tell ya Wingman, I just don't know if Rob or anyone can "...design the pieces for the hoods with a cutout to match the hood scoops shape" with the precision that is needed to get the alignment right on with barely no spacing, evenly around the scoop; ...maybe if the scooplocation is slightlyadjustable. Are the bolts in the scoop a tight fit in the holes in the hood? In theory if the scoop can't move it will not bunch the vinyl. I might consider this; bolts that snug fit to hoodholes; mark/outline the leading front corners (and any place where bunching occurs), get so where you can pull the vinyl up inside of these areas where it is not visible. (pick at vinyl, w/o cutting through, raise up an area and then can cut where the outline you have made is, w/o touching the clear). If the areas that bunch up are removed and the bolts fit snug I really don't see the problem reoccurring; with a hairdryer, some soapy soultion you may be able to straighten out and save what was bunched up. Good luck man.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:30 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292
I'll tell ya Wingman, I just don't know if Rob or anyone can "...design the pieces for the hoods with a cutout to match the hood scoops shape" with the precision that is needed to get the alignment right on with barely no spacing, evenly around the scoop; ...maybe if the scoop location is slightly adjustable. Are the bolts in the scoop a tight fit in the holes in the hood? In theory if the scoop can't move it will not bunch the vinyl. I might consider this; bolts that snug fit to hood holes; mark/outline the leading front corners (and any place where bunching occurs), get so where you can pull the vinyl up inside of these areas where it is not visible. (pick at vinyl, w/o cutting through, raise up an area and then can cut where the outline you have made is, w/o touching the clear). If the areas that bunch up are removed and the bolts fit snug I really don't see the problem reoccurring; with a hairdryer, some soapy soultion you may be able to straighten out and save what was bunched up. Good luck man.
I think it could be done. It doesn't have to be a perfect fit to look good. I've seen them cut a 1/4" out and it didn't show much. The location is not adjustable and the problem is that the scoop has an arch from front to back... it doesn't match the curve of the hood exactly.

If you are suggesting marking the scoop outline then lifting the vinyl a little then cutting, I think the vinyl will stretch out of shape and end up being a wavy looking edge. If Rob doesn't want to attempt a fix I'm sure some other stripe provider will. This could turn into a bigger issue as more people get scoops and stripes and they develope this problem.

Thanks for the input. You always have well thought out advice.

Quick Reply: Stripes bunching vinyl under hood scoop?