Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripes bunching vinyl under hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:28 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default Stripes bunching vinyl under hood scoop?

Anyone have a hood scoop on top of their vinyl racing stripes? My hood scoop is bunching up the vinyl under the corners of the scoop. Rob at Baltimore Street Mods said that if I replaced the weatherstipping on the bottom of the scoop with a particular kind that it would solve the problem. My installer replaced the vinyl and installed the weatherstripping and it still is bunching up the vinyl at the corners of the scoop. I have contacted Rob and suggested that he might want to provide a cut out for the scoop version so it doesn't let the hood scoop touch the vinyl. Here is what he says, and I quote:

I do not have a way to design it without a car sitting here...... no one else that has used the replacemment weatherstrip is reporting this issue....

Rob - BaltimoreStreetMods
www.BaltimoreStreetMods.com email: rob@baltimorestreetmods.com

If any of you have had this problem you should let Rob know about it. If you have a hood scoop and are about to purchase stripes from Baltimore Street Mods you should ask about this problem as well. I have been a big supporter of Rob and I think he has a fine product and excellent service so lets let him know that this needs to be addressed.

Thanks

Jack
Old 07-22-2007, 10:05 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Stripes bunching vinyl under hood scoop?

My Roush scoop ruined my center stripe. When air enters the scoop at the front and it hits the plastic filler panel inside, it causes the scoop to flex, which pulls the vinyl back and forth until it rubs through to the paint underneath. I removed my center stripe and reattched the scoop so it'll eventually rub the paint down to bare metal I would assume.

UB10
Old 07-23-2007, 01:35 AM
johnpony
1st Gear Member

Mine were done by my dealers local smash repairer and are not genuine ford stripes but had no problems so far

[IMG]local://upfiles/64303/EE41A71224A1453893285E26B8ACBFE7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-23-2007, 10:41 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Interesting post - Does it make a difference if you install the stripes first then the scoop? Since all scoops are different, I doubt Rob could make stripes with a scoop cutout unless it was for a specific scoop. Anyone know how hard it would be to cut out the stripes around the scoop when installing and if this would look OK? I want to get scoops and stripes so I am concerned about this also.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogan01
Interesting post - Does it make a difference if you install the stripes first then the scoop? Since all scoops are different, I doubt Rob could make stripes with a scoop cutout unless it was for a specific scoop. Anyone know how hard it would be to cut out the stripes around the scoop when installing and if this would look OK? I want to get scoops and stripes so I am concerned about this also.
The scoop is a factory option and was removed before installing stripes. After stripes were installed the hood scoop was reinstalled over the stripes. As Rob stated, the scoop doesn't fit the hood shape exactly and tends to flex and rub at the corners. I think the only way to aliviate this bunching of the vinyl is to cut the vinyl material around the outside of the scoop so it doesn't touch. This would be similar to the rear license area cut out of the vinyl. Will anyone in the Baltimore area with an '07 Mustang with a hood scoop allow Rob to use it to mock-up a new cut-out design? Maybe he will offer you a perk.

As far as cutting the stripes after they are installed, I would not let anyone take a knife to my Mustang's hood. If all else fails I will remove the vinyl and have the stripes painted on.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:38 AM
moe07
2nd Gear Member

my stripe has done the same thing. but only in one spot.i am going to order new hood stripes and put some kind of weather striping or something so around the whole under side of thescoop so itwill not touch the stripe or be glued to it.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:21 PM
bplemmons
1st Gear Member

I'm going to be putting a Rouch scoop on my stripped hood soon. I was thinking about the weather stripping too. I hear some scoops only fasten with 3m tape. I wounder if that would work as well?

I considered having the hood re-stripped around the scoop but I don't like the thought of the scoop rubbing through the paint either. I love the look of the scoops butit sure sounds like a pain..............

Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

I am near Balmer -- where is he located?

Got a number?

I have a 2007 with the "Ford Factory" scoop

Actually from my search on Yahoo it says there site is down right now but lists their Zipcode as 21225 - which is not far from me at all.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:26 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jizz
I am near Balmer -- where is he located?

Got a number?

I have a 2007 with the "Ford Factory" scoop

Actually from my search on Yahoo it says there site is down right now but lists their Zipcode as 21225 - which is not far from me at all.
Your right he is down for maintenance I just tried it. My first post has his email address if you want to contact him. He is one of our sponsors. His ad is on the right side column. Baltimore Street Mods. Besides selling stripe kits he also installs them at his location so you should be able to get the street address when the site is back up.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

I just emailed him. I will let you know what he says.

Quick Reply: Stripes bunching vinyl under hood scoop?