Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new gt500's: is the suspension that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 AM
TxLonghorn
1st Gear Member

Default RE: new gt500's: is the suspension that bad?

I just gotta throw this out there-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STed7ujF4qQ

Yes, that is Jeremy Clarkson, and yes, he does describe the Mustang as the "greatest car ever". He was talking about the first generation (I think this video pre-dates the current body style), but it's still nice to see.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: derekdatank

Also they did that est whier they take a v6 pony againt a mustang (the horse) on round track and the stang loss wtf any care to tell me what the **** that was about?
I remember that episode. They tried to pass off a GT as a V6. Gave specs about it, then talked **** about how slow it was. [&:]
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

See now everyone here is bashing the English for saying the cars arent that good.

Simple fact compared to the European equivalent there not as good. Worse build quality, worse handling, lower power etc etc. But on the bright side the stang can be turned into a very capable car, And its much cheaper and is easy to make fast.

They did also on the same topgear show the Roush stage 3 going round there track and it was utterly obvious from its composure in the bends etc its a far more capable car. The GT500 was rolling about all over the place. It did not look at all composed in the bends. Then you just need to look at the track times.

GT500 1:30.1
Roush Stage 3 1:27.9

Then you have to remember the roush is nearly 100hp down. So the roush is making up its time in the bends and thats a lot of time in a single lap to make up.

The suspension on the GT500 was upgraded as were the brakes but due to the weight of that engine over the front wheel it causes it to be nose heavy thus turn in is reduced and it gives it a bigger tendacy to understeer. Im sure the brakes and suspension would be alright on the standard GT. But with all that extra weight there not up to the job of having the gt500 go well around corners....But for the most part that doesnt interest most American owners they just want straight line speed.

On the subject of skidpan test....the shelby manages a 0.90g and the standard GT gets a 0.89g...Honestly you think 0.01g is going to be THAT noticeable. And people slate the standard GT for its handling. You all need to stop looking at skipan tests as if they are the only means of judging handling there is far far more to it than that. Skidpans are about grip thats only a small portion of what makes a good handling car.

By the way Jeremy Clarkson loves the Corvette, And he loved the Roush Stage 3 Mustang and said it really was a properly good car he would pick it over a GT500.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: wozz

See now everyone here is bashing the English for saying the cars arent that good.

Simple fact compared to the European equivalent there not as good. Worse build quality, worse handling, lower power etc etc. But on the bright side the stang can be turned into a very capable car, And its much cheaper and is easy to make fast.

They did also on the same topgear show the Roush stage 3 going round there track and it was utterly obvious from its composure in the bends etc its a far more capable car. The GT500 was rolling about all over the place. It did not look at all composed in the bends. Then you just need to look at the track times.

GT500 1:30.1
Roush Stage 3 1:27.9

Then you have to remember the roush is nearly 100hp down. So the roush is making up its time in the bends and thats a lot of time in a single lap to make up.

The suspension on the GT500 was upgraded as were the brakes but due to the weight of that engine over the front wheel it causes it to be nose heavy thus turn in is reduced and it gives it a bigger tendacy to understeer. Im sure the brakes and suspension would be alright on the standard GT. But with all that extra weight there not up to the job of having the gt500 go well around corners....But for the most part that doesnt interest most American owners they just want straight line speed.

On the subject of skidpan test....the shelby manages a 0.90g and the standard GT gets a 0.89g...Honestly you think 0.01g is going to be THAT noticeable. And people slate the standard GT for its handling. You all need to stop looking at skipan tests as if they are the only means of judging handling there is far far more to it than that. Skidpans are about grip thats only a small portion of what makes a good handling car.

By the way Jeremy Clarkson loves the Corvette, And he loved the Roush Stage 3 Mustang and said it really was a properly good car he would pick it over a GT500.
Ahem, we are bashing Jermy Clarkson mostly. Top Gear and him never have anything to say about American made cars. Corvette and GT were both made fun of, then he had like a one minute schpeel at the end saying he thought it was good.

Also the Roush is WAY lighter than the GT500. So HP:PL [&:]
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

The FordGT he liked so much so he actually bought one. He also likes the new corvette just doesnt like it on british roads. If you drove the cars on British roads maybe your views of what a good car is would change. Plus it was not clarkson that reviewed the GT500 on topgear it was Richard Hammon who owns a 390GT and is a Mustang fan.

The reason Clarkson hated the Ford GT was his kept braking down.

He did have a hard time with his GT though. He bought it and it repeatedly broke down was an ongoing joke for a season of topgear they kept asking if it made it in to the studio etc. He then refused the car got his money back and after being told it was fixed later purchased the same car again. Only for it to have new problems. Not to best way to go about making a motoring journalist like a car.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:53 AM
DarkShadowCobra

The biggest thing between the Roush and the GT500 is the suspension.

The GT500 is basically a stock suspension Mustang, SVT enhanced or not. The control arms are flimsy stamped steel, the bushings are rubber, the springs are soft and the ride height is on the high side. The Roush uses stiffer springs (at a lower ride height), stiffer upper and lower rear control arms with poly bushings. Slap some springs and suspension arms on it and it's a whole nother ball game.

That being said, I think my GT500 handles great. I've had it through plenty of canyons and it sticks to the road. Floor it and it will get sideways but that's to be expected. I swore off stick axles after my 03 Cobra, but this one rides great and handles great. A world of difference over the SN95 solid axles.

And an illustration on how it does in the twisties:

Looks good from here [&:]
Old 07-30-2007, 02:37 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Thats a long winding corner. Looks like you could do around 80+ round that thing. In pretty much anycar.

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/galler...hop-mg9924.jpg

Thats getting into just before one of my favourite roads. Small video of what the actual road is like when your going down it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW_aNlhgtg8

These are your typical british country roads which is what they judge the cars on afterall its a british program there talking about the cars to brits. And the stang doesn't bode as well on those as the BMW's etc as they were never designed with roads like that in mind. Im sure if they were they would be pretty decent handling cars. Those are the kind of roads where small FWD hot hatches really come into there own though.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Phraoz007
1st Gear Member

my 07 GT and 07 GT500 feel WAY different. the GT500 is a lot more sporty. Personally I feel that it's better, but I think the car is also heavier and it's harder to drive because of the amount of power it has its really easy to get sideways.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:51 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wozz

The FordGT he liked so much so he actually bought one. He also likes the new corvette just doesnt like it on british roads. If you drove the cars on British roads maybe your views of what a good car is would change. Plus it was not clarkson that reviewed the GT500 on topgear it was Richard Hammon who owns a 390GT and is a Mustang fan.

The reason Clarkson hated the Ford GT was his kept braking down.

He did have a hard time with his GT though. He bought it and it repeatedly broke down was an ongoing joke for a season of topgear they kept asking if it made it in to the studio etc. He then refused the car got his money back and after being told it was fixed later purchased the same car again. Only for it to have new problems. Not to best way to go about making a motoring journalist like a car.
If you watch that episode he says that things put on for the car to meet British regulations kept breaking. Not stuff from the factory but things put on when it came over to England.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM
DarkShadowCobra

It was the alarm system on the FGT. It kept going off randomly and I THINK it was also keeping the car from starting (not sure on the 2nd part, haven't seen it in awhile). Roush is in charge of working on them in the UK and they didn't resolve it.

Out of frustration, he sold it. But ended up buying it back or getting a new one because he loved the car so much.

Quick Reply: new gt500's: is the suspension that bad?