Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install (w/pics)

ORIGINAL: GTRay

I'm getting ready to install one of these driveshafts and I cannot find anywhere a 12mm 12point Crows Foot extension. I can find them in 6 point, but not 12. And the only one who, I'veseen, carries a 12mm 12 point is Snap On in a kit for $100. Can anyone point me in the right direction or will a 6 point be fine? Thanks.
I don't think it is necessary, i didn't use one, so I know it's not. I'm not sure what tacobill was using the crowsfoot for.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

You guys are going to love that one piece driveshaft. Oddly enough, that and the steeda HD engine mounts were my favorite mods. Everything just feels solid and power is instantly applied to ground with those additions.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTRay

I'm getting ready to install one of these driveshafts and I cannot find anywhere a 12mm 12point Crows Foot extension. I can find them in 6 point, but not 12. And the only one who, I'veseen, carries a 12mm 12 point is Snap On in a kit for $100. Can anyone point me in the right direction or will a 6 point be fine? Thanks.
Don't use a 6pt, it may slip and start stripping the bolt head.
You can always use a closed end 12ptbox wrench and 'estimate' your torque (aka.. real tight). A friend bought a 12pt ratcheting box end extension (open for a 3/8 drive) from the Snap-On guy, costs around $40.

ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

Bill, what are you going to do to fix that rubbing issue? Beat that hump in a little bit?
I haven't done it yet, but yes, the small center hump in the tunnel will need to be 'massaged' down a little bit.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

Don't use a 6pt, it may slip and start stripping the bolt head.
You can always use a closed end 12ptbox wrench and 'estimate' your torque (aka.. real tight). A friend bought a 12pt ratcheting box end extension (open for a 3/8 drive) from the Snap-On guy, costs around $40.
so what are you using the crowsfoot on? I'm really lost here.

Edit: nevermind, i found it in your instructions. I guess the diameter of the coast driveshaft of the u-joints they use are different than the denny's shaft i installed. I had no problems using a 12 point socket with extension and didn't even need a universal joint or wobble extension.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Yup, on our u-joint, it's very difficult if not impossible to squarely fit a socket over those bolts.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 AM
msbmustang

Taco Bill,

Thanks for the great article on the Coast Driveline install. I will be putting the higher HP CD60390HD in my 07 GT500 in the next few weeks.

As a way to thank you I thought I would point out that the extra exhaust hanger in one of your pictures in the article should be cut off as per TSB 08-3-4. This hanger was used for exhaust alignment during manufacturing and Ford decided to leave it in. It causes vibrations to emanate from the center stack whenever you hit a moderate to severe bump. I noticed it was still in on one of the pics of your drive shaft project. (I included the pic)

Thanks again for the great article. I do have a question though...Did you notice any increase or decrease in Noise/Vibration/Harshness-NVH- after putting in the new driveshaft?

Thanks again for a great article.

MSB Mustang / Mark

[IMG]local://upfiles/19203/DD1DF46DBF464F5C9C0B7D802A683209.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: msbmustang
As a way to thank you I thought I would point out that the extra exhaust hanger in one of your pictures in the article should be cut off as per TSB 08-3-4. This hanger was used for exhaust alignment during manufacturing and Ford decided to leave it in. It causes vibrations to emanate from the center stack whenever you hit a moderate to severe bump. I noticed it was still in on one of the pics of your drive shaft project. (I included the pic)
You're welcomemark.

Yes, I noticed the hanger issue when I was under my friend's 08 GT/CS. I wasn't aware of the TSB, but knew that Ford decided to leave it out for a reason.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:07 PM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Nice write up.

Regarding the BMR DS loop, I noticed you have the H-pipe, which does not involve any clearance issues. With my Kooks & X-Pipe, the DS loop would hit the X-pipe right at the "X." To remedy, you need to loosen your exhaust from the manifold to the tail end and relocate everything to get the necessary clearance.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Silver08Stang

Default Coast drive shaft and Steeda shifter

Thanks TacoBill !, today 4/30/10, I installed a Steeda short throw tri-ax shifter and the coast heavy duty GT 4" drive line in my 08 GT. Your pictures and guidance on the coast drive line were great and helped make the install a successful project. Took the car for a short spin, no issues so far, plan on jacking it back up tomorrow and checking all the connections. I was taking my time, had a little help from my son before he left for work, the total project with tool cleanup was 6 hours for installing both products.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

For the love of god, where did you find a 12mm 12-point crowfoot extension/wrench??? I've been all over town looking for one. I can't even seem to google one available for shipment.

**** nevermind just read back through the post and see that they're literally vapor tools. no way I'm spending another $100 for a snap on kit to get one. guess I'll take this thing somewhere to have it swapped out...

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 01-28-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Coast Driveline 1-piece aluminum driveshaft install (w/pics)