Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding my 07, the saga begins *Updated* 56K Warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Puckhog407
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The saga continues

Keep up the great work Buddy ... if I knew the day you were announcing the color, I'd make sure I called in. Ok, what am I thinking, I can't call in. Can I? SHOW THE COLOR!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:35 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

ORIGINAL: buddydank

We're getting so close that I'm busting Jerry! Busting!
Tonight I went out and Wes had already fixed some problem areas that showed up when we put on the first coat of primer. And get this, he also redid a number of his bondo jobs to make them even better. After painting he could still see a couple places that were not perfect so he made them perfect. It's absolutely amazing!
He also had the first coat of sandable primer on and it was almost dry when I arrived. It already looks better then the puke green it was yesterday.

New and improved doors! Sorry this is just some similar picks to other recent entries. But these are GREY!

I think the rear end turned out really well.

So when the primer was dry we started to wetsand everything. Wes did most of the visable areas and I did the backs of stuff. He's much better at this than I.
It looks even better wet! Shiney!

OK! Everyone seems to really want to know what color I've chosen. Simmer down now!
Let's take a moment to remember what she used to look like. So pretty!

No?? Oh....alright. Yes she was a disaster. But now she has new life!
Tomorrow morning Wes will apply one last sealer primer and then will put on the base coat. I again will be going out after work.

The color of the car will be not be given until tomorrow when I have the first pictures. But I will still tease everyone with a few details about it.
I will be putting some stripes on the car. Not gonna say where but they will be......... black.
The base color is a throw back to the late 60's Mustangs. Vintage!
Buddy,
Please tell me you are going to pull the engine and components out and paint the engine bay to match the car!
Otherwise all of the great work you two have done to get the car where it is at will be for naught.
Good job on the restro, and good to see members on this forums giving up time, money, and materials to help out, Golf Clap. [sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=gears.gif]
i agree about the engine bay...
Old 08-16-2007, 01:06 PM
forrestgump
2nd Gear Member

I like the primer look no paint needed
Old 08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
buddydank
1st Gear Member

Another Hint:
It's one of the colors from 1968. Here's the link.
http://www.nvsaac.com/Details/1968_f...int_colors.htm

I thought I'd try to answer a few questions people have been asking.
1. Engine bay - I personally am not even slightly concerned that it will still be red. I'm not exactly going to be running around showing off my V6 engine to people. But I do have plans to hand paint everything in there later on. It's going to be black. There is way to much time involved in pulling the engine just to paint rest of the unibody frame. Plus I'm leaving the interior of the trunk red. If anything I should paint the inside of the trunk and engine back black with a green stripe!
2. Tires - I will be keeping the 16's for a while. I'll probably start looking to upgrade sometime next year. Not sure if I'll do 17's or 18's but no way I'll go bigger then that.
3. Painting around the windows - Yes it would be optimal to take out the windows when painting but I'm doing this as inexpensively as possible. I worked really hard to get the paint out of those cracks and Wes has done a great job at making sure the paint gets back in them. It's may not be perfect but it's going to be darn close. Rust is a concern but I think we've got it under control.
4. Exhaust - I'm still wanting to put a GT rear bumper on so that I can do dual exhaust. But that will be another project for next year. If I find the GT rear bumper I will only have the 1 exhaust for now.
5. Shaved doors - I am going to take someones suggestions to have remote battery terminals. Plus I can always crawl in through the trunk. Hehe, might be a tight fit. I might also try to do an emergency release cable on one of the doors as well.

Sorry if I haven't answered everyone who has commented. If you would like to know anything specific, feel free to PM me anytime.
Updates will be late this evening.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
forrestgump
2nd Gear Member

I bet its gold metallic.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:07 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forrestgump

I bet its gold metallic.
Yep.....I think so too since he's been wanting that Amber Gold.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:53 PM
swoosh
2nd Gear Member

I guess we'll just have to wait a couple more hours until he can take the pics and post them.

I'll be on pins and needles til then
Old 08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

Sorry you're not going to be painting the engine bay and the rest of it. You put in so much time into making it look perfect. that it just seems a shame to leave it like that even if you aren't going to be showing off the engine bay.

I guess I would just have to take the time and money to do it the right way. It would bug me to much to leave something looking unfinished like that. But I'm sure your car will still look great non the less
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 PM
buddydank
1st Gear Member

BAD NEWS!
I will not be putting on the base coat tonight or anytime soon! Crap!
We were on a tight schedule to begin with, but Wes had a doctors appointment today(nothing serious) that took long enough for us to no longer have the time we need to finish. He is leaving for almost 2 weeks and so now the car is going to have to sit there with just the primer on it until then.

Sorry. No big updates for 2 freaking weeks.

This throws off all the other work I was going to do on it while he was gone as well. But it will still be completely done around the same time as I had thought before. I'm still haven't gotten the bumpers and rockers so I knew it would be until he got back that we'd have to wait to paint those.
Arghh!!! It's just frustrating that I can't do anything about it.

BUT............
I will tell everyone the color I am painting the car. It would be cruel to make you all wait 2 weeks. You'd probably all forget about it by then.
So the color is...................................(drumroll)

Sunlit Gold Metallic!
It's Gold Jerry! Gold!!!
My last hint gave it away I guess. There will be a large single black stripe on the hood with 2 smaller pin stripes. I also plan on painting the spoiler and rockers black.

This just feels so anti-climactic.

I'll try to update again later tonight when I have a better time table.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Why do they call it ovaltine? The mug is round, the jar is round. They should call it roundtine.
ORIGINAL: buddydank

It's Gold Jerry! Gold!!!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding my 07, the saga begins *Updated* 56K Warning