Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Nightmare!!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM
way2ccky
2nd Gear Member

Default Tint Nightmare!!

I have a question on what I should do about a tinting problem.
First, I'll tell you the situation.

I had my windows tinted with 3M color stable film back in March. I knew of the problem about the door trim scratching the tint so I brought it to the guys attention and asked him if they knew anything about it. He told me that he would check it out and let me know if he thought I needed it. He said they put it on the 05's because the trim was so hard. Mine being an '07, he said it would be fine and it wouldn't scratch.

Needless to say, it started scratching the film. I took it back to them about a month ago and they told me he would replace the front two windows for free and only charge me to put the felt on the window trim. Here's where the real problems start. I get my car back and there are a ton of bubbles in the window. I figure I will give it a few days and see if they come out, which I highly doubted. Then, I noticed the next problem... When they put the felt on the passenger door, they cut up the trim and it looks like complete ***.

I called down there to have it fixed again and they set me up an appointment to have it in on a Friday afternoon. This tint place is about an hour and a half away from where I live. I couldn't make it due to work, so my girlfriend took my car down there. When she gets there, they take a look at the car and tell her that it was a defective roll from 3M and that they have had this happen to several cars recently. They tell her that they don't have a roll of film in that they used on my car and I'll have to bring it back. She's calls me at work to tell me this after she is on her way back. A 3 hour round trip wasted plus the gas that a v8 sucks.. I'm pretty pissed..

I immediately get on the phone to call them and they give me the same run around.. I tell them that I can find a tint place up here that sells 3M and just send them the bill. He tells me that if they are an authorized 3M dealer, then they should be able to fix it for free under warranty since it was a bad roll of film.

I take my car to the tint dealer up here today and he takes one look at the window trim and says that he isn't touching it. He tells me that the screwed up my trim and they were gonna have to fix it..

So my question is, how do I go about getting them to replace my window trim when it looks like it is attached to the whole door panel?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tint Nightmare!!

Why did you travel so far, if you had a place locally ?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
way2ccky
2nd Gear Member

Well, The tint place is about halfway between where I live and where my parents live. My dad has had two BMW's done there and they looked really good. Before he sold them. He can't ever keep a car long. I was in college in Cookeville,TN and now I have a full time job up here. The place is in Nashville so I figured they would do a better job. Stupid me..
Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Legally,
Why ask why? He didn't ... so what!...

But because of this he shouldn't be griping about the distance he had to travel to get it fixed as it was clearly his choice to not use alocal shop in the first place....

But I would take it back to the first shop and try and make them fix it right.... The worse thing you can do is get angry ( I know it's hard sometimes!!) but be positive and hope for the best. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
way2ccky
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I haven't gotten angry with them at all.. I ask this because the tint guy up here told me that I should go down there and get them to replace my door trim. I figured it was just a SOL kind of deal. He's actually the one that put it in my head so I figured I'd ask you guys what you think I should do.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

If they don't fix it, you could also put the window trim in yourself. TocaBill's post on it is great, pics and all.

You could always try to take them to court, if they don't fix it. I would never go back there after you get this fixed. And tell your friends not to go there either.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 PM
way2ccky
2nd Gear Member

I'm not the court kind of guy.. I guess I'm just too passive for my own good. But I'm definitely not going back. Even though they are suppose to be the best tint shop in TN..
Old 08-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Tell them you want their errors fixed and that you will bring the car when they can garauntee that they have all the right parts. Send them an email if you have to, its easier to have ***** in writing, tell them you will sick the local news agency on them if you have to. Try and be civil at first, but if they are "the best tint shop around" then they should fix the entire error with no further issue.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:26 PM
way2ccky
2nd Gear Member

I talked to a 3M rep and he said that he would try and take care of everything for me. He said he was going to call down there and talk to the guy that gave me the run around. I think I'll call him back after work and see what he has to say before I call the tint shop tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

This is what I hate the most. You take your car that you work hard to pay for and try to diligently maintain, and someone does a half-azz job on it. I know you are maintaining your cool, and I admire you for doing so. It is really hard when you trust someone to do a professional job that they *claim* they are a capable of doing, only to get a job less than satisfactory.
Hopefully your persistence will pay off and the car will be fixed correctly this time. I don't think I would give them yet another chance after this one though. If you get the car back and it still isn't right.....demand a refund, plus the cost to repair your trim if they cut it and damaged it in the first place.
Surely no one wants to sue anyone, but if you say you can do the job, then do the damn job right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tint Nightmare!!