Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking My Stang To Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 AM
krahez

Default Taking My Stang To Dealer

I was waxing my car yesterday and noticed a bubble under the paint on the front lip of the hood. Looks like rust, but with the composition of the hood I have to believe it's electrolosis. I popped the hood and there are 2 quarter sized spots on the underside. Same thing but smaller under the decklid. Now there is a new spot on the left quarter. WTF, an 05!! It is under warranty until November, so I'm going to take it in get it fixed and hopefully they will keep it documented so that will be covered forever. Anyone else have this problem? If so what did the dealer do?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Taking My Stang To Dealer

This is the first I've read of this. Its an isolated thing.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I was cleaning the dead bugs off mine, when I saw what I thought was bug guts. Turned out to be just what you said, a bubble under the front edge of the hood as if it was a rust spot under the paint . The hood is aluminum, this shouldn't happen.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
steviewire

I know a couple of guys here in the UK with the same problem on 05s (both black GT's). If still under warranty get the car down to the dealer. Unfortunately not so simple for my mates in the UK though.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
krahez

My dad owns a body shopand said with aluminum hoods it is most likely electrolosis. They used to have grounding straps atached to the aluminum panels which stopped it. Our cars don't have those. He said the hood needs replaced you can't just sand and repaint. Maybe I can get a shelby hood out of the deal. I keep you posted on what comes of this, I have to head out of town for Uncle Sam so I gotta put this on hold for now.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Alloyed
2nd Gear Member

This problem shows up on old Land Rovers (series) all the time. I've painted over it before I can tell you this, it will look awful if painted. Going with a whole new hood is a really good plan. Any excuse for a modification, right?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:45 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I have the same thing on my orange!! I was bitching about it in another thread, What colour is your car??
Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

Does it look anything like this:

If so, I *think* it's covered under a TSB (06-25-15) but to be honest I've not taken it in yet to address...

The TSB suggests blasting, a DA sander, epoxy primer, etc - aka they don't want to replace your hood!!!

I am EXTREMELY curious as to the outcome of your experience as I would love to be able to firmly but politely tell Ford to give me a ******-f'ing-new-hood!!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

PS - the cause is iron contamination on the aluminum panel due to cross metal contamination, possibly occuring during the assembly process....
Old 08-14-2007, 06:48 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Yes for sure, the same area but not nearly as bad yet, The dealer said they would repaint or even replace my hood with another new unit in stock. I checked a new unit in stock not even delivered and it was starting the same thing already!! Whats wrong with this picture??

Quick Reply: Taking My Stang To Dealer