Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on ripping out my Shaker 500, what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Default Planning on ripping out my Shaker 500, what should I get?

The stereo just doesn't get loud enough. I like having the 6CD changer built in, but thats not major. I'd like a double din unit, but don't want it to be to fancy. If I don't find a suitable doubledin, I'll just install the single din I have in my beater (kenwood).

As for the speakers, I want them to go into the factory locations. No fiberglass kickpods or modifications. I do want to be able to return the car to factory form down the road.

I will either bya 4x75w or 4x150w (rms @ 4ohms) amp to power the interior speakers. I already have a 1200w amp for my subs.

UPDATE:

Quick question about the 8's in the doors. How do you wire them up? Do you tap them in with the front 6x8s or do you power them with their own amp?

I was thinking about what I posted earlier and I probably will just delete rear stage so the bass can get from the trunk better. Rear stage is nothing but front stage anyway since its only stereo and I couldn't care less about having true surround sound in my car via HD radio or whatever else claims to have it.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:37 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Planning on ripping out my Shaker 500, what should I get?

Alot of folks are going with the indash DVD Navigation systems, and they look sharp.(wish I had the extra coin, now) There are several threads, try a search. As far as research of units, Crutchfield is hard to beat. www.crutchfield.com , However, for price, I would look at ebay, andwww.hookedontronics.com . I have a nice1/2 din Kenwood deck with aux input, it sounds great, just doesn't have the looks of the 7 inch screens.

Good Luck!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 AM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Thinking of doing the same. I want to go with the pioneer avic-2 (I think that is the name). It does everything. Has navigation, xm and can do bluetooth. Haven't gotten it yet because I don't have the extra cash to part with and have a few things I want to do first
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

avic-z1/z1 hands down the best replacement in the world!!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM
eddieval5
3rd Gear Member

the pioneer avic-z2 double din nav/dvd/mp3/bluetooth..etc..etc.. is a great one..waiting for price to go down so i can pick one up...right now there $2200
Old 08-13-2007, 11:17 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

just get the z1 for like 1500...yhou can update it to a z2

avic411.com for any more info
Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

I'm waiting on the Kenwood DNX1700 system right now. I know a lot of people say the Pioneer Avic Z2 is the best. But I've heard the blue tooth on it isn't ver good, the Ipod interface isn't all that great either and you can only put music on the hard drive when it is in a regular CD format.

With the Kenwood you get good blue tooth capability if you really need it, a nearly full speed and fully functional Ipod interface that will even allow you to play videos from your Ipod that beats the Pioneers interface hands down, the navigation system in it is from Garmin, the ability to plug in USB devices and it's much easier to bypass than the Pioneer units. And there are still one or two more things I'm lookin into that the Pioneer can't do. Just have to do a little more reserch. Course the Kenwoods don't have the voice command either which while nice really isn't all that important to me.

I have an 80 GB Ipod and a 250 GB hard drive that I'll have to look into making a removable USB hard drive. It's been sitting in the closet for sometime now. HMMMMMMM, that 30 GB hard drive doesn't sound all that impressive anymore.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

avic for the head unit. as for the speakers, i'd try to do as many in mb quartz as possible. the 8's in the doors have only a few replacements that will fit, and the best of those are 8's by MTX. unfortunately the MTX's, and the other 8's are single voice coils as opposed to the duals in the stock. that's not necessarily a bad thing, i've had MTX thunder speakers before (which those 8's are considered) and i was very impressed with them.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

just get the z1 for like 1500...yhou can update it to a z2

avic411.com for any more info
Why in the world would he want a Z-1 for that price?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...r+AVIC-Z2.html
Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Quick question about the 8's in the doors. How do you wire them up? Do you tap them in with the front 6x8s or do you power them with their own amp?

I was thinking about what I posted earlier and I probably will just delete rear stage so the bass can get from the trunk better. Rear stage is nothing but front stage anyway since its only stereo and I couldn't care less about having true surround sound in my car via HD radio or whatever else claims to have it.

Quick Reply: Planning on ripping out my Shaker 500, what should I get?