Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 09:27 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Flowmaster Mufflers

mmmm... love my magnaflow. SLP makes a good one because you can use it with shorties or LTs. this being based on what's out for 99-04 though. don't know what's out just yet for the 05s.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Anybody try the new corsa exhaust. I will start a new post so the question will show on the boards.

http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm

Old 02-11-2005, 09:16 PM
grubeda

I called FlowMaster today and they told me to NOT install their current 40 series on my 05 GT. One has already caught the rear valence of the GT on fire!!! [sm=badbadbad.gif] They have completed the design of their special muffler for the 05 GT and will start shipping them in the next few weeks. They took my name and number and said they will call me when the mufflers start shipping. Whew... I'm glad I called, I don't need my car catching on fire... It's red enough as is!
Old 02-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Justin K

You aren't going to gain any horsepower from simply putting a catback exhaust on your car. It's like putting a firehose on the end of a garden hose. You'd have to get headers/cat/catback in order to benefit. It's called and exhaust SYSTEM because each parts works interdependently with the next.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

hAS anyone heard anything more on the flowmasters? My friend told me if I wanted more sound to get a muffler shop to put a glass pack in the muffler. Will this hurt the performance . If not maybe I should take that route.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:57 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Daniel,

All you want is more noise? There is no additional power to be had by simply adding a cat back system, NONE, NADA ZIP! Why not get nice noise, like the ping of tube headers at idle and the sweeter, blended sound of an X-pipe? With these components and a tune you would alter the sound and also get more ponys to make your smile bigger when you stand on it. Adding a set of short tube headers and a cat back X-pipe won't make your car any louder (more of a snarl really), but they will make it faster if you get it tuned with an ECU re-flash.

Whatever you do don't install glass packs! The packing material used in these cheap glass tubes blows out and quickly becomes obnoxious even to the people who like it loud. If LOUD is what you want the Loudmouth is what you want but look out for resonances inside your car at various speeds and cruzing as they age. Trust me this gets old fast.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:15 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hi,

Here is something I just found. Listen to this 05 with JBA's new 05 complete exaust system with shorty headers, H-pipe and mufflers I perfer the sound and slight power boost of an X-pipe but this is what I found: http://www.jbaheaders.com/Sound%20Fi...ustang_rev.mp3 IMO this is the best most muscular sounding 05 pony I've heard so far. Better sounding than the new Flowmaster Delta 50's, Corsa, Magnaflow or SLP Loudmouths on an 05 GT.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Where can these be found? How much money are we talking about? Are you talking about replacing the factory manifold, pipe and mufflers?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:39 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Since the 05 GT already has 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipes I am not all suprised that many of the aftermarket pipes don't increase power. A 2 1/2" system is pretty big for a relatively small engine like the 4.6. What did suprise me is that many of the aftermarket mufflers didn't help the power much. Stock mufflers usually are not that great, but apparantley Ford did a pretty good job getting decent flow characterstics from the stock mufflers.
I am sure the biggest gain would be had by loosing the cats and stock exhaust manifolds and replacing them with full length headers.
The stock exhaust manifolds are good as far as manifolds go, but with full length headers I am sure would provide the biggest gain. Also an x-pipe would do better than the stock H pipe but I am not sure if it would be enough to justify the cost.
If all you want is more noise the SLP loudmouth would be the best. It won't effect emmisions because a muffer is a silencing device only. It does nothing for emissions.
I think the SLP setup sounds good but I think it might be too loud for me. I would like to hear it in person before I spent the money.
As for glasspacks. They are ancient 50's technology. They do not flow well at all. All they are is straight tube with louvers that face AGAINST the direction of clow of the exhaust and direct the sound into fiber glass packing. The fiberglass burns out quickley and they loose what little sound reduction properties they do have qucikly. The biggest problem is the louvers that oppose the flow of exhaust gas. This creates an abolute crazy amount of turbulance in the muffler. I am absolutley certain that glasspack mufflers would reduce power on the 05 Mustang GT as well as many other modern cars.
Way back in the 1950's, yes they flowed better than a stock muffler from that era. That may even be true for some of the 1970's crap as well, but I think most modern cars, and particularly the newer Mustangs have stock mufflers that flow considerably better than any glasspack.
Glasspacks are ancient technology that should be forgotten along with 8-tracks, bias ply tires, carburators and breaker point ignition.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:00 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Where can these be found? How much money are we talking about? Are you talking about replacing the factory manifold, pipe and mufflers?

Hi Daniel,

The JBA system is from a shop here in SoCal. Th owner J. Bittle is a well know racer heavily into the blue oval Trans-Am and drag racing cars. Anyway, his system for the 05 GT is a shorty header utilizing 1.5" ID tubes that bolt up to the stock cats and is 50 state EPA legal. Once past the cats he offers an off road H pipe and a version with cats that bolts to the stock middle section tubes that bolt to his rear mufflers. His headers and H-pipes are stainless steel with different ceramic or ti heat coatings avalable, the axle back mufflers are aluminized steel at the moment with nice polished tips.

Oh, forgot the link: http://www.jbaheaders.com/index.asp

HTH

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Mufflers