Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake w/ no Tune...is it even worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:33 AM
djmaincheese

Default Cold Air Intake w/ no Tune...is it even worth it?

I keep reading forums on the BBK, JLT & C&L Intakes requiring a Tune to really feel the performance boost but almost everyone has mentioned it voiding the warranty. Meaning Ford can see that the Computer has been reflashed even if returned to stock!! My dilemma is I have an extended warranty that I dont want to waist
(75000)miles on a New 06 GT Auto.
Is it even worth me spending the $200 getting a K&N that does not require a tune? It would probably just end up looking better than really making the car perform better right??
Old 08-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cold Air Intake w/ no Tune...is it even worth it?

K&n doesn't require a tune. I just took mine off and put in a c&l (that does require a tune)
Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

yeah, but is it worth putting the K&N CAI in, or should he get a different one with a tune???
Old 08-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

It would probably just end up looking better than really making the car perform better right??
You said it !
But if you get a Jlt/C&l with a tune you can always put the stock air box on and flash back to stock,if going to the dealership.
Never heard of the dealership finding out someone had a tune if everything is back to stock !

30mins later !!!!!!!!!
Well...now I've heard..lol. Watching the speed channel and they was talking about dealerships reading "foot prints"on the computer
and can void your warranty!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

i have the mrt and i think it was worth it. i felta difference with it in throttle response and some mid range power. if u can afford it right off the bat go with a intake/tune combo like ti or c and l. i dont regret getting mine tho.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:55 AM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

I have the BBK CAI (no tune requied) and I ran it for a while with out a tune. It helps it run stronger but it causes the car to run lean. I opted to go to Brenspeed and get the tune they have for the BBK. It brings air/fuel ratio's back in line and it gives good low end torque. I would go with a CAI that requires a tune and buy it as a package. If a dealership questions why the history has been cleared all you have to tell them is that you removed the battery cable to see if the engine light(code) would clear. I have heard that is sufficient. I have not heard about the footprint thing. Hard to prove if everything is returned to stock. Could have been a factory program issue! Have to prove it.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:14 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

If you are worried about your warranty keep your car stock untill 70,000 miles. There is no other way to put it.

If you put a CAI on your car without a tune you are pretty much guaranteeing that you are going to need to use that warranty considering you will F*ck your engine up.

Any just so you know, if you get a cai and a tune the only warranty that is void is your engine. If your steering wheel falls off they will fix it, ect...

I havent heard of an engine blowing from a cai and a tune, and that is the only thing being voided.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:59 AM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

If you are worried about your warranty keep your car stock untill 70,000 miles. There is no other way to put it.

If you put a CAI on your car without a tune you are pretty much guaranteeing that you are going to need to use that warranty considering you will F*ck your engine up.
Completely uninformed.. and untrue. Check out the C&L website and review the data for the new C&L Street CAI w/ no-tune insert. Thoroughly tested (not only by C&L, but by Doug (B@maChips) to show it maintains a very save A/F mix ratio throughout the curve (13:1). Doug dyno'd a number of cars at the St Louis show last fall.. ALL showed at least +15rwhp and a save A/F mix. Doug really likes and believes in this setup... and he makes a living writing tunes! I've been running this setup since May and can really feel the difference...not only in pull, but it really woke up my Flowmasters. Lee (at C&L) will address and questions/concerns you have.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/notune.html
Old 08-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Tigercat
1st Gear Member

I installed an Airaid CAT on my 2006 gt and I am very saticfied with the performance increase without a tune , the look ,It even sounds better then stock. I will be removing the venturi and going with the tune in the future, it is a great product I would recomend this kit .
Old 08-25-2007, 12:00 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Tigercat

I installed an Airaid CAT on my 2006 gt and I am very saticfied with the performance increase without a tune , the look ,It even sounds better then stock. I will be removing the venturi and going with the tune in the future, it is a great product I would recomend this kit .
+1
an Airaid with no tune on V6

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake w/ no Tune...is it even worth it?