Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Thunking Noise: A Design & Engineering Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Vernon Tull
1st Gear Member

Default Front End Thunking Noise: A Design & Engineering Question

Many of you fellows are far more mechanically talented than I am, so I thought some of you could explain this to me. We know now from the persistence and hard work of several good folks on this forum that the dreaded front end "thunk" comes mostly from poorly designed upper strut mounts. From an engineering or design point of view, what's wrong with these mounts? How are they different from the quiet, problem-free upper strut mounts on most other vehicles?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:04 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Front End Thunking Noise: A Design & Engineering Question

I would like to know also. The answer is prob in the huge thread about this but there is no way in hell im reading all of that..sorry.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vernon Tull

Many of you fellows are far more mechanically talented than I am, so I thought some of you could explain this to me. We know now from the persistence and hard work of several good folks on this forum that the dreaded front end "thunk" comes mostly from poorly designed upper strut mounts. From an engineering or design point of view, what's wrong with these mounts? How are they different from the quiet, problem-free upper strut mounts on most other vehicles?

Bascho said in a earlier post on the thunking thread. It basically has to do with "flexing" of the mount. The rubber on the new mounts is stiffer. Laymans' terms but close to the truth of the matter. Ford put in an inferior part.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

how many people actually have this problem though....i know about 6 people at work that have 2005+ mustangs and none of them have had this problem....the percentage has to be pretty low....
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

That's what I'd like to know too. My 05 is extremely quiet now, but when I bought it used a few months ago, it was a squeaky thunky old clunker. Turned out it was 100% the previous owner's fault. I fixed his mistakes (no grease on poly bushings, no spring isolator on front springs, un-tightened front sway end links). Now it is the quietest suspension I've ever owned. Quieter than my last car, 94 BMW 325i.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

how many people actually have this problem though....i know about 6 people at work that have 2005+ mustangs and none of them have had this problem....the percentage has to be pretty low....

Since Ford worked on it for a year, and actually came up with a fix, I'd have to say there were MANY of them that thunked. They wouldn't have bothered with a few. They were so proud of them, that all 2008's now come with the updated part.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:55 PM
tommyboy45
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vernon Tull

Page 92 post #1827 has the answers you are looking for.

Link to page 92: https://mustangforums.com/m_2297319/mpage_92/tm.htm
Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Vernon Tull
1st Gear Member

Many thanks, TommyBoy45. Much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Actually, the problem is not aswidespread as we would believe. I don't know the actual percentages....but it's low. This shows you that no matter how small the problem, Ford does care about fixing it to make us happy. I know a lot of people think that's BS......but I've seen it. Most people forget that Ford employees are Ford customers too.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Too bad this wasn't a sticky so that folks who haven't been following along wouldn't have to read all those pages. But, all good things must come to an end. The thunk is soon to be history. Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: Front End Thunking Noise: A Design & Engineering Question