Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Thunking Noise: A Design & Engineering Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Front End Thunking Noise: A Design & Engineering Question

You mean there are people who don't wanna read 94 pages of posts to get the info they need??? [&:]

We're looking to create a new FAQ specifically on the thunking issue. Look for it in the near future.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

You mean there are people who don't wanna read 94 pages of posts to get the info they need??? [&:]

We're looking to create a new FAQ specifically on the thunking issue. Look for it in the near future.

Good to hear. It will be helpful to the latecomers.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Vernon Tull
1st Gear Member

My thunk is not anywhere near history. I took my 05 GT in for the repair and provided the service manager the pertinent info on the newly designed mount (part number starting with 8 . . . ). He said they would fix it under warranty, but that I would have to accept a replacement of the original part (the old part number starting with 5). Needless to say, mine still thunks just as badly, evenafter the "repair."

I live 70 miles from the nearest dealer, so it's very difficult for me to get to a dealer and leave my car with them for warranty repair. This cariswearing me out . . .
Old 08-28-2007, 02:20 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

Actually, the problem is not aswidespread as we would believe. I don't know the actual percentages....but it's low. This shows you that no matter how small the problem, Ford does care about fixing it to make us happy. I know a lot of people think that's BS......but I've seen it. Most people forget that Ford employees are Ford customers too.

So what does that say about quality control? How many inferior parts (pairs) does Ford think "slipped" through?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vernon Tull

My thunk is not anywhere near history. I took my 05 GT in for the repair and provided the service manager the pertinent info on the newly designed mount (part number starting with 8 . . . ). He said they would fix it under warranty, but that I would have to accept a replacement of the original part (the old part number starting with 5). Needless to say, mine still thunks just as badly, evenafter the "repair."

I live 70 miles from the nearest dealer, so it's very difficult for me to get to a dealer and leave my car with them for warranty repair. This cariswearing me out . . .

So that I may understand, they put in an old designed part? Did you take it in BEFORE the new part became available?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Vernon Tull
1st Gear Member

Gidyupgo -- I took the car in a couple of months ago as the new strut mount was becoming available throughout the country. Others on the forum here had already had the new part installed on their Mustangs; that's how I knew about the newly designed part starting with 8. I told the service manager that the old part whose number began with 5 was faulty, but he didn't seem to believe me, even after checking various sources on his computer. He didn't trust the information I provided him about the new part -- information that came directly from this forum and that we all know to be correct.

In a sense I can understand his point of view. Here's some geeky, non-mechanic coming in and trying to tell him the ins and outs of Ford parts (although I was respectful in my approach). He probably gets so much bs from people coming into the service department that he has long ago decided to trust his official Ford info rather than what customers say or suggest. Most of the time this is a smart, solid approach, I realize. However, the result in my case is that I have a new set of the older strut mounts and the same thunk.

If the thunk truly is not a cause for danger or failure at driving speeds, I could probably learn to live with it; but, anynoise from excessive flexing indicates to me something that's wearing prematurely.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vernon Tull

Gidyupgo -- I took the car in a couple of months ago as the new strut mount was becoming available throughout the country. Others on the forum here had already had the new part installed on their Mustangs; that's how I knew about the newly designed part starting with 8. I told the service manager that the old part whose number began with 5 was faulty, but he didn't seem to believe me, even after checking various sources on his computer. He didn't trust the information I provided him about the new part -- information that came directly from this forum and that we all know to be correct.

In a sense I can understand his point of view. Here's some geeky, non-mechanic coming in and trying to tell him the ins and outs of Ford parts (although I was respectful in my approach). He probably gets so much bs from people coming into the service department that he has long ago decided to trust his official Ford info rather than what customers say or suggest. Most of the time this is a smart, solid approach, I realize. However, the result in my case is that I have a new set of the older strut mounts and the same thunk.

If the thunk truly is not a cause for danger or failure at driving speeds, I could probably learn to live with it; but, anynoise from excessive flexing indicates to me something that's wearing prematurely.

It was for that very reason that I waited until mid July on mine. I thunked all the way out to Calif. and back and got lip service from the manager when I got back. Long story short, they got it done but not without excessive time and grief. You should go back in now, armed with the new TSB that just came out and insist on the updated part. It's on them.