Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:45 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I've read all the posts and can't find what I am looking for. This is definitely my problem. My questions are:

1. Is there an actual TSB out on this (spacer plate)? If so, what is the TSB #

2.What is the a-arm thing about?

My Warranty ends in 2 weeks so I need the proper info NOW. Thanks a lot!!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Hey anyone?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
I've read all the posts and can't find what I am looking for. This is definitely my problem. My questions are:

Here ya go!

Last edited by OhioState87; 04-13-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks man!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Hello Everybody that got this problem.

I think i have the same issue, i took the car to the delearship several times but they couldnt find anything, my issue wont last 2 minutes it last at most 1 minute and then it dissappears, Im pretty sure that small rattle noise its on my car.

I want to know how difficult or what issues can be when doing this "Remove transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03B."

Also what can happen to my car if i dont do this TSB ?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT

2.What is the a-arm thing about?

My Warranty ends in 2 weeks so I need the proper info NOW. Thanks a lot!!!!
Not positive, my dealership just mentioned there was a common rattle (don't know if it is a TSB) that happens with the A-arm or something in the dash.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Okay, so now I'm confused.

Here's the deal. I had my car at the dealer for the past week for this rattle and suggested the TSB for this rattle to them. They had to order a part for what they were going to do, so I assume it was the spacer plate. I picked my car up today, but the service department was already closed by the time I was able to get there, so I wasn't able to discuss with them what all they did.

Anyway, I've got my car back, I assume they performed that TSB and also looked for other areas of possible rattle. Reason I say this...look what I found on my front license plate and license plate bracket. Not only that, but they some how managed to damage it and those letters have came off, including the bottom half of the blue tri-bar. I've also noticed that everything seems "tighter" while driving. I can't put my finger on what exactly, just something... Oh, and, the rattle is STILL there. The weird thing is, is that it's not as loud and doesn't happen as often, but it's still there!

Last edited by OhioState87; 04-22-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:47 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

So they figured the problem is the License plate cover you put on? Nice of them to screw it up for you!!! My wife's escape had a license plate cover that was making a noticable rattle, and some stick-on pads fixed that....without screwing it up! I would imagine they didn't even try to fix your real problem though, I guess the "tightness" you feel is your imagination.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gatkins94
So they figured the problem is the License plate cover you put on? Nice of them to screw it up for you!!! My wife's escape had a license plate cover that was making a noticable rattle, and some stick-on pads fixed that....without screwing it up! I would imagine they didn't even try to fix your real problem though, I guess the "tightness" you feel is your imagination.
Well, the car has been at the dealer since last Thursday (16th). They had to order a part which they said wouldn't be there until Monday or Tuesday, and it was ready end of day Wednesday (yesterday).

I seriously hope, and doubt, that they would have it all that time just to put tape on my license plate bracket. The tightness I'm feeling seems like the driveline or something. Whether that's the shifting, clutch, accelerating, etc., I don't know, but I just get a feeling of everything being "more solid" and better feeling. The rattle is still there, as I described in my post above, but I need to drive it for a few days to figure it out. The rattle isn't "acting the same" as before.

Last edited by OhioState87; 04-23-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Ok, So after reading through posts my question woud be:

What if we just leave the ratlle there, Mines do it on the morning just for 5 min and then it goes...

Its a sound like a vibrate in the center.

If we didnt fix would hurt something else in thel ong term ?

Quick Reply: stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07