Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM
kbjc86

Hey guys. I know this is old but I have the same problem or should i say had till today. I put a piece of Dynamat about the size of a baseball card on the outside of the plate behind the oil pan and noticed a %98 improvement. Cost 50 cents. drove the @#!$ out of it no problems. Spend that $400-$500 on something else for the car.
FYI Dynamat if good from -54°C to +149°C (-65°F to +300°F)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
dkj313

Just took mine into the dealer. They replaced the plate and so far so good. Drove it several miles no noise noticeable.

I am nearing the end of the powertrain 5 year warranty so wanted to take advantage of the situation.

Sure hope this did the deal. Raining here today so stuck in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails  stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07-imag0010.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM
ShMcK
1st Gear Member

I can't believe it took me til now to find this thread, but what's the solution for a automatic v6? I have a ridiculous rattle coming from the area under the shifter and haven't found anything that could solve it.

It happens while slowing down, at idle, and accelerating from at the begining of each gear.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Horylev1145

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kbjc86
Hey guys. I know this is old but I have the same problem or should i say had till today. I put a piece of Dynamat about the size of a baseball card on the outside of the plate behind the oil pan and noticed a %98 improvement. Cost 50 cents. drove the @#!$ out of it no problems. Spend that $400-$500 on something else for the car.
FYI Dynamat if good from -54°C to +149°C (-65°F to +300°F)
Exactly what I did but not with dynamat; just stuck a thin piece of rubber inbetween the two and drove for the past few days without even a hint of the rattle that was there before. Great tip thanks for saving me $500.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Jonjonbear

Originally Posted by Horylev1145
Exactly what I did but not with dynamat; just stuck a thin piece of rubber inbetween the two and drove for the past few days without even a hint of the rattle that was there before. Great tip thanks for saving me $500.
Did you put the rubber on the lower small panel that comes off with the two bolts or somehow the one above it between the engine and trans? I think my rattle is coming from the rattle in the plate above the small one held on with the two bolts but I can't figure out how to get up in there to put anything in between.

Thanks,

John
Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jonjonbear
Did you put the rubber on the lower small panel that comes off with the two bolts or somehow the one above it between the engine and trans? I think my rattle is coming from the rattle in the plate above the small one held on with the two bolts but I can't figure out how to get up in there to put anything in between.

Thanks,

John
I have the same problem on my 05. Ford redesigned the separator plate cutting out a section so it would no longer rub against the fly wheel. If you ever have to change the clutch, get the updated plate.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Holy thread revival batman!

Anyways, since we are on the subject, is this the sound everyone is hearing? Can skip to the :40 second mark for the sound
Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Horylev1145

Well I didn't hear anything in the video but its a very distinct rattle/scraping of metal on metal. Mine I could really only hear with the windows down especially when I drove past a line of cars. Without the windows down I could barely hear it. And for me it happed at the same rpm every time about 2900 and was gone by 3100.

As far as where I put the piece of rubber I will take a pic here in a few days once I get some dynamat as the piece I put in was too skinny and has already fallen out. But I slid it right in-between the separator plate and the edge of oil pan. Once your under there you should be able to see it. Theres about 2 tents of an inch of space inbetween the two.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Horylev1145

Instead of dynamat I again used a thin piece of rubber slid inbetween the oil pan and the separator plate. As you can see I also used ultra black RTV silicon after to keep it in place and also packed it in everywhere else the plate didn't sit flush and could have been rattling.

Sound is 100% gone.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Jonjonbear

Originally Posted by Horylev1145

Instead of dynamat I again used a thin piece of rubber slid inbetween the oil pan and the separator plate. As you can see I also used ultra black RTV silicon after to keep it in place and also packed it in everywhere else the plate didn't sit flush and could have been rattling.

Sound is 100% gone.
I didn't hear the sound in Rocket's video either. Thanks for the video of your repair, that is very helpful. Did you take the lower panel off first, put the rubber piece in between the upper plate and block, then re-install the lower plate with the silicone on it? I had mis-read the info I saw elsewhere on the site and thought it was the lower plate that was rattling. I did what you did with the silicone but it didn't fix it. I need to get up in behind there like you did.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this.

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07