Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default RE: stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm!

everyone has rattle problems with the 05+ mustang. just turn your music up. Its a mustang, its not gonna be perfect
Old 08-28-2007, 07:52 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723

everyone has rattle problems with the 05+ mustang. just turn your music up. Its a mustang, its not gonna be perfect
Yes I understand every mustang has certain rattles, but this is not a "normal" rattle. This is a metallic rattle, almost a grinding, that does NOT sound good. I do not want to wait until the warranty is up and then see I have permanent damage. I paid good money for this car, there is NO reason I should settle for or deal with such a loud, annoying, rattle that people outside the car can hear when I accelerate and think, "wow, what a piece of crap, that idiot can't even afford to fix his new car" etc. Frankly, it's embarrassing.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

please keep me updated!!!

ORIGINAL: mikeei

Happens on my 05', had it to the dealer several times already, Ijustbought the car 3 months ago. Its not the heat shields and they have replaced the cats (warranty is a wonderful thing), I'll keep you posted, its going backin tomorrow. I'm pretty sure its not there once the car is warmed up. The bummer is I'm waiting on my upgrades till I get this sorted out.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 AM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem. I believe it is in the mufflers. Could be the clamp. I took my aftermarket ones off and put the stockers back on and it was gone. So it is either something internally in the muffler or the clamp because the clamps tighten up way before the pipes are ever tightly clamped on. But my car has the exact same symptoms that you described above wheneever I have my aftermarket mufflers on. Hope that helps.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: ErcWrestlr

I have the same problem. I believe it is in the mufflers. Could be the clamp. I took my aftermarket ones off and put the stockers back on and it was gone. So it is either something internally in the muffler or the clamp because the clamps tighten up way before the pipes are ever tightly clamped on. But my car has the exact same symptoms that you described above wheneever I have my aftermarket mufflers on. Hope that helps.
Nope cant be cause i have stingers and different clamps altogether. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

i've got this same noise. only when the engine is cold. once it warms up the noise goes away. it won't make the noise if i slowly accelerate, but if i even moderately accelerate it makes the rattle noise. first thought was a heatshield but those all seem tight.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Nope cant be cause i have stingers and different clamps altogether. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Then I'm not really sure. I know I hear the noise at 3k rpm's on a cold start for about 2 minutes of initial driving. I assumed it was the mufflers.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM
1sloGT

i had a rattle at around 1500-2000 rpms. prob a totally different sound from urs, but it came from a broken or loose "trans cross brace". Maybe that would help. good luck
Old 09-07-2007, 07:59 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default Solution found!!!!

So, I FINALLY got the problem fixed! My normal Ford dealership was closed, so I had to take it to Woodfield Ford in Schaumburg, IL. Luckily, they had seen the problem before - and they're trying to get Ford to issue a TSB about this as it is common. So, here is the solution - and if anyone else has a problem, tell them to call Woodfield Ford in IL - 847 882 5031 - they've fixed the problem before, and did it again with me!

EDIT: the problem was the spacer plate between engine and transmission contacting the back of the engine - print the following out and give it to your dealer if need be!

[IMG]local://upfiles/44457/50CF3B92AD2F47B29EA2C9419A316316.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Then I'm not really sure. I know I hear the noise at 3k rpm's on a cold start for about 2 minutes of initial driving. I assumed it was the mufflers.
read my tech report below - it's probably the spacer between engine and trans, like it has been for so many of us already...

Quick Reply: stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07