Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:41 PM
07alloystanggt

Default RE: Solution found!!!!

Firstly, I want to thank all you guys for figuring this problem out....even my dealer couldnt find it! I am a newbie to this forum, but love it already! One question though.....I just came in from under the car, and didnt see the plate. I have an '07/automatic...is it only on sticks, or is it under the plastic cover between the motor/tranny?? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2007, 04:57 PM
07alloystanggt

Correction.....the cover is metal. According to the pics that were posted you were supposed to put the washers under that plate/cover?? I tried that and no luck, still making the noise. When you take that cover off, there is another spacer/plate that is physically between the motor/tranny that you can see around the edges and also sticking out the bottom. If anything were making contact, im assuming it would be the bolts on the torque converter with that spacer?? If so, does it only contact on the bottom, or all the way around the spacer?
Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07alloystanggt

Correction.....the cover is metal. According to the pics that were posted you were supposed to put the washers under that plate/cover?? I tried that and no luck, still making the noise. When you take that cover off, there is another spacer/plate that is physically between the motor/tranny that you can see around the edges and also sticking out the bottom. If anything were making contact, im assuming it would be the bolts on the torque converter with that spacer?? If so, does it only contact on the bottom, or all the way around the spacer?
Thanks again!
the problem is the spacer plate between the trans and engine...that is the one causing problems. if you have ANY more technical questions call my Ford dealer who showed me the solution. the pic i put up has their phone #.

and to mikeei, you are most welcome. i am just SO glad i found the fix for this...it was buggin the crap out of me!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

SoI got under the car yesterday and looked. The plate on my car is tight as a drum, no wiggle room at all. Those of you who had the problem - was your plate loose? ShouldI still put the spacers on?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

SoI got under the car yesterday and looked. The plate on my car is tight as a drum, no wiggle room at all. Those of you who had the problem - was your plate loose? ShouldI still put the spacers on?
yes, still put the spacers on. our plates were not loose at all - at least mine wasn't - but it still rattled. it has to do with resonance frequency.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

How loud is this rattle you guys are hearing? I haven't heard anything except my Hurst shifter rattle when cold and a little spark knocking when shifting under hard driving conditions, but I'm asuming that is because the "93 octane" gas I'm buying probably isn't fully 93 octane. Either that or it is the weather, or maybe I just need to adjust the A/F ratio in my tune. I'm really getting tired of all the little tweaks that have to be done to my stang.....especially with aftermarket parts. Like.....insulate or reconfigure theHurst shifter to eliminate rattle, adjust A/F ratio to eliminate spark knocking, buy installation hardware for chin spoiler, rattle proof the transmission plate, .......then there's the tire pressure fault,all the accessories needed to just lower the rear (shocks, Panhard rod, LCA's, LCA relocation brackets), removing the dead space from the accelerator via bending thesliders, ...etc etc etc... When do I get to just enjoy the car???!!! I'm frustrated, as you can tell. I really despise companies that do not do their research and make a part free of problems that are so obvious. ..and if you sell a part, you really should provide the hardware to install it..WITH CORRECT DIRECTIONS!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:27 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

How loud is this rattle you guys are hearing? I haven't heard anything except my Hurst shifter rattle when cold and a little spark knocking when shifting under hard driving conditions, but I'm asuming that is because the "93 octane" gas I'm buying probably isn't fully 93 octane. Either that or it is the weather, or maybe I just need to adjust the A/F ratio in my tune. I'm really getting tired of all the little tweaks that have to be done to my stang.....especially with aftermarket parts. Like.....insulate or reconfigure theHurst shifter to eliminate rattle, adjust A/F ratio to eliminate spark knocking, buy installation hardware for chin spoiler, rattle proof the transmission plate, .......then there's the tire pressure fault,all the accessories needed to just lower the rear (shocks, Panhard rod, LCA's, LCA relocation brackets), removing the dead space from the accelerator via bending thesliders, ...etc etc etc... When do I get to just enjoy the car???!!! I'm frustrated, as you can tell. I really despise companies that do not do their research and make a part free of problems that are so obvious. ..and if you sell a part, you really should provide the hardware to install it..WITH CORRECT DIRECTIONS!
my rattle was quite soft most of the time...some people couldn't ever hear it. it was loudest with the windows down during the first 1-2 minutes after starting the engine when accelerating hard. you can tell it's this problem if the rattle only occurs between 2500 and 3500 rpm....if it rattles out of that range, or across the whole range of all rpms...it's something else.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

i just sent mine in to fix the paint chip, and told them to fix this too..

I can usually tell when passing cars or medians between 1st and 3rd gear at about 3k. mine keeps going warm or cold and only lasts for about 2 seconds. Hopefully it gets fixed for me too ; )
Old 10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xtremesaleen

i just sent mine in to fix the paint chip, and told them to fix this too..

I can usually tell when passing cars or medians between 1st and 3rd gear at about 3k. mine keeps going warm or cold and only lasts for about 2 seconds. Hopefully it gets fixed for me too ; )
yep, should be fixed if you take it to the dealer and show them this thread, sounds like you had the same problem i did :-D
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Hrm, I wonder if this is what my problem is. I originally didn't think so because mine happens when the engine is warm also but I'm seeing more people say it happens to them a lot.

This sound is a metal vibrating sound for just 2 seconds or so that sounds kind of like a heat sheild rattling?

Quick Reply: stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07