Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


stupid metal rattling noise at 3k rpm! EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND 9/7/07

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #141
kbjc86
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2
Default

Hey guys. I know this is old but I have the same problem or should i say had till today. I put a piece of Dynamat about the size of a baseball card on the outside of the plate behind the oil pan and noticed a %98 improvement. Cost 50 cents. drove the @#!$ out of it no problems. Spend that $400-$500 on something else for the car.
FYI Dynamat if good from -54C to +149C (-65F to +300F)
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
kbjc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #142
dkj313
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2009, Ford, Mustang GT
Location: NY
Posts: 1
Default

Just took mine into the dealer. They replaced the plate and so far so good. Drove it several miles no noise noticeable.

I am nearing the end of the powertrain 5 year warranty so wanted to take advantage of the situation.

Sure hope this did the deal. Raining here today so stuck in the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0010.jpg (38.6 KB, 5 views)
dkj313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #143
ShMcK
1st Gear Member
 
ShMcK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang V6
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 71
Default

I can't believe it took me til now to find this thread, but what's the solution for a automatic v6? I have a ridiculous rattle coming from the area under the shifter and haven't found anything that could solve it.

It happens while slowing down, at idle, and accelerating from at the begining of each gear.
__________________
2005 Performance White 4.0
- JLT CAI/Tuner - 8in. Antenna - CDC Ducktail Spoiler (Molded) - Shaved Decklid/Painted Black - Tinted Taillights/Reflectors - Sequential Taillights - MRT Rear Louvers - 3D Carbon Quarter Window Louvers - 18x10 (Rear) 18x9 (Front) Saleen Style Black Rims - BF Goodrich G-Force Tires - Ford Racing Dual Exhaust (Black Muffler Tips) - 35% Window Tint
ShMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #144
Horylev1145
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 05-Ford-Mustang
Location: Michigan
Posts: 24
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbjc86 View Post
Hey guys. I know this is old but I have the same problem or should i say had till today. I put a piece of Dynamat about the size of a baseball card on the outside of the plate behind the oil pan and noticed a %98 improvement. Cost 50 cents. drove the @#!$ out of it no problems. Spend that $400-$500 on something else for the car.
FYI Dynamat if good from -54C to +149C (-65F to +300F)
Exactly what I did but not with dynamat; just stuck a thin piece of rubber inbetween the two and drove for the past few days without even a hint of the rattle that was there before. Great tip thanks for saving me $500.
Horylev1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #145
Jonjonbear
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horylev1145 View Post
Exactly what I did but not with dynamat; just stuck a thin piece of rubber inbetween the two and drove for the past few days without even a hint of the rattle that was there before. Great tip thanks for saving me $500.
Did you put the rubber on the lower small panel that comes off with the two bolts or somehow the one above it between the engine and trans? I think my rattle is coming from the rattle in the plate above the small one held on with the two bolts but I can't figure out how to get up in there to put anything in between.

Thanks,

John
Jonjonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #146
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member
 
DRAGUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 01 Cobra
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjonbear View Post
Did you put the rubber on the lower small panel that comes off with the two bolts or somehow the one above it between the engine and trans? I think my rattle is coming from the rattle in the plate above the small one held on with the two bolts but I can't figure out how to get up in there to put anything in between.

Thanks,

John
I have the same problem on my 05. Ford redesigned the separator plate cutting out a section so it would no longer rub against the fly wheel. If you ever have to change the clutch, get the updated plate.
DRAGUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #147
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member
 
Rocket254's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Location: Rocket City, AL
Posts: 327
Default

Holy thread revival batman!

Anyways, since we are on the subject, is this the sound everyone is hearing? Can skip to the :40 second mark for the sound
__________________
08 GT/CS "Crimson"
FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Carbon Clutch Packs, JLT Series III Intake, Bama 93R Tune, Summit Racing O/R H pipe, Borla Stingers, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni STR.T Struts/Shocks, GT500 Spoiler, Tinted turn signals and side markers, black vinyl decklid wrap, SHR CS Grill Insert, LED Reverse Lights
Rocket254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #148
Horylev1145
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 05-Ford-Mustang
Location: Michigan
Posts: 24
Default

Well I didn't hear anything in the video but its a very distinct rattle/scraping of metal on metal. Mine I could really only hear with the windows down especially when I drove past a line of cars. Without the windows down I could barely hear it. And for me it happed at the same rpm every time about 2900 and was gone by 3100.

As far as where I put the piece of rubber I will take a pic here in a few days once I get some dynamat as the piece I put in was too skinny and has already fallen out. But I slid it right in-between the separator plate and the edge of oil pan. Once your under there you should be able to see it. Theres about 2 tents of an inch of space inbetween the two.
Horylev1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #149
Horylev1145
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 05-Ford-Mustang
Location: Michigan
Posts: 24
Default



Instead of dynamat I again used a thin piece of rubber slid inbetween the oil pan and the separator plate. As you can see I also used ultra black RTV silicon after to keep it in place and also packed it in everywhere else the plate didn't sit flush and could have been rattling.

Sound is 100% gone.
Horylev1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #150
Jonjonbear
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horylev1145 View Post


Instead of dynamat I again used a thin piece of rubber slid inbetween the oil pan and the separator plate. As you can see I also used ultra black RTV silicon after to keep it in place and also packed it in everywhere else the plate didn't sit flush and could have been rattling.

Sound is 100% gone.
I didn't hear the sound in Rocket's video either. Thanks for the video of your repair, that is very helpful. Did you take the lower panel off first, put the rubber piece in between the upper plate and block, then re-install the lower plate with the silicone on it? I had mis-read the info I saw elsewhere on the site and thought it was the lower plate that was rattling. I did what you did with the silicone but it didn't fix it. I need to get up in behind there like you did.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this.

John
Jonjonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #151
defiance
3rd Gear Member
 
defiance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2006 S197
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horylev1145 View Post

Instead of dynamat I again used a thin piece of rubber slid inbetween the oil pan and the separator plate. As you can see I also used ultra black RTV silicon after to keep it in place and also packed it in everywhere else the plate didn't sit flush and could have been rattling.

Sound is 100% gone.

Can someone show me which area this is supposed to be done to? I need to do this, I am just completely clueless as which parts are needed to be pulled.
__________________
defiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #152
Horylev1145
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 05-Ford-Mustang
Location: Michigan
Posts: 24
Default

Nothing got disassembled or taken apart.

At 15 seconds you can see where you have to place the rubber/dynamat and silicone. In between the two rust colored screws, to the left, and to the right.
I was able to get the silicone in on the left and the right sides of the screws but in-between the two is where you have to slide something up there. I just used a skinny flat head to help me get one side of the rubber piece up there and then to get it in on the other side. Then put the silicone on the flat head and kept packing it up there until i was sure it wouldn't fall out on me.

When your under there looking straight up toward the sky you see the plate, follow it up and you can see the edge of the engine oil pan with maybe 2 tenths of an inch or the width of a nickle of space in-between the two (separator plate and edge oil pan).
You just need to slide the piece of rubber/dynamat in-between the two and glob the sealer on after to keep the rubber piece in place. Id say 90% of the noise is coming from there.
Horylev1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #153
Jonjonbear
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horylev1145 View Post
Nothing got disassembled or taken apart.

At 15 seconds you can see where you have to place the rubber/dynamat and silicone. In between the two rust colored screws, to the left, and to the right.
I was able to get the silicone in on the left and the right sides of the screws but in-between the two is where you have to slide something up there. I just used a skinny flat head to help me get one side of the rubber piece up there and then to get it in on the other side. Then put the silicone on the flat head and kept packing it up there until i was sure it wouldn't fall out on me.

When your under there looking straight up toward the sky you see the plate, follow it up and you can see the edge of the engine oil pan with maybe 2 tenths of an inch or the width of a nickle of space in-between the two (separator plate and edge oil pan).
You just need to slide the piece of rubber/dynamat in-between the two and glob the sealer on after to keep the rubber piece in place. Id say 90% of the noise is coming from there.
Ah..Okay, great. I took that lower plate there off and thought it was that. I've got some really heavy duty ribbed rubber material we use on utility carts. I'm going to try that. The ribs will also help keep it in place.
Thanks for the detail, I really appreciate it and am sure others will too.

John
Jonjonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1500, 15002000, 2005, 3k, cold, ford, gears, imglocalupfiles4445750cf3b92ad2f47b29ea2c9419a3163 16jpgimg, mustang, noise, rattle, rattling, rpm, sound, sticking, wrx

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metal Noise When Accelerating roxmysox99 2005 - 2014 Mustangs 31 01-03-2010 01:13 AM
metallic rattle sound over 4000 rpm? Sirsilent 2005 - 2014 Mustangs 14 02-19-2009 06:40 PM

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup