Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in...

Old 02-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

Default Breaking in...

Hello, I'm a new user as of today and have a couple of questions about the GT:

How am I supposed to break it in?
I've already driven it a little more than 600 miles and I've tried to keep the revs down.
When can I start to really drive the car?

Should I really wait 5000 miles to do the first oil change?

What oil would you recommend?

Thanks!
//J
Old 02-08-2005, 04:34 PM
rgathright

Default RE: Breaking in...

I am also a Modular V8 owner... I will tell you now, do not wait 5,000 miles to change first oil. Wait till about 500 miles and change it out for Mobil 1. Use a Mobil 1 oil filter as well, here is why: http://www.reubengathright.com/EngineOilFilterStudy.htm

Please note I am not the original author of the study.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Hello, I'm a new user as of today and have a couple of questions about the GT:

How am I supposed to break it in?
I've already driven it a little more than 600 miles and I've tried to keep the revs down.
When can I start to really drive the car?

Should I really wait 5000 miles to do the first oil change?

What oil would you recommend?

Thanks!
rgathright is right. What comes in your car from the factory is a blend of standard and synthetic oil. At 500 ish miles do an oil change with a synthetic of your choice. (I like Mobil 1) from 500 miles to 1000 ish miles just vary the rpm's. If you are on the freeway, change your speed and gear to keep the rpm's varied. After 1000 miles have at it!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:50 PM
NinoAvila

I've always used Amsoil in all my vehicles. I was introduced to it by my bro-in-law who is a mechanic. I'm not saying that it's THE BEST in the world, but is obviously up there. I think once you get to a certain "tier" of products, the differences are insignificant for the regular joe. In other words, unless you plan on putting it on lemans car, space shuttle or some other "high value, high profile" vehicle, you should be alright with any good reputable oil.

I usually go with amsoil recommendations as far as oil-changes go.

-N
Old 02-08-2005, 09:48 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

There must be a section in the owner's manual that recomends break in procedure. I'd follow it.

I'm an avid "Red Line Synthetics" user, 20-50 weight for years. My old '78 BMW is on it's 26th set of tires with 257k miles and a custom (tweaked) enginge rebuild at 132k miles. Warm it up gently, then it sees Red Line RPM as a common life style. My '89 GMC 4.3 litre now as 144k miles. Both run slick and strong. Oil change every 4k miles. I also use 8 ounces of Tufoil. www.tufoil.com

I called Red Line Oil, they said wait 2k miles for oil change, and (broke my heart) said to use the factory recomended viscosity, not my 20-50, said the 20-50 will confuse the computer in the Mustang.

I plan to call Tufoil before I put it in the GT. I also ride a Yamaha FJR1300ABS '04. I use Motul 300V in that critter, I called Motul, they said not to run the Tufoil, said their oil is "Ester" based and wouldn't be happy with Tufoil. I've been using Tufoil in the BMW and the GMC for years.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

But isn't there a reason for Ford to put the mixed oil in the engine when it's new?
Is it really that wise to change the oil this early if the mixed one actually is in there for a reason?

My pony is reaching 900 miles and I would want to change oil to get everything that's left over from the break in period out of there.
The only thing the owners manual has to say about this is:
"Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during the first thousand miles of operation, since these additives may prevent piston ring seating."

So, if I drop it of at the Ford dealer would they know not to put an oil that contains any additives into my baby?

Thanks for all the inputs!

Another thing:
The owner's manual tells you not to use "premium" fuel and that "regular" should be the better choice, since that's what it's optimized for. Comments?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:18 AM
kurgan23

Hi guys, I'm new here, I don't have my GT which means I don't have the manual. The gas thing sounded weird to me because I thought all newer type cars were supposed to get premium fuel. So any thoughts on regular gas or premium gas would be appreciated. Also the main reason I signed up is because of the breaking in topic. I am probably going to get my GT about 10 days or so before I take a road trip to Phoenix. It's probably about 500 miles or so. I definitely won't have the 1000 miles or so that has been suggested before "opening it up". I don't think I can mix up the speed too much because of the long stretches of road I'll probably tend travel a somewhat constant speed as opposed to city driving. If it's strongly recommended against I'll try to make other transportation arrangements.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:31 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

If you use Premium you'll be wasting your money. Car is designed to run on Regular. My 150HP Yamaha FJR1300 was designed to work on Regular. Works just fine. Premium gas does not deliver more power, it is designed to slow down the combustion process in high compression engines. Ford was kind enough to give us HP without Premium gas needs.

Years ago I knew a fellow that would buy is Detroit Iron from Detriot area then drive it to California. Said he never had a lick of trouble with those cars. Take it on your trip, once in awhile take your foot off the throttle, let it coast down while in gear, maybe drop a gear or two, then accelerate back to cruising speed.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

Changed oil today after 870 miles. Did it at Ford and they did not put a fully synthetic oil in the car.
According to them they put the same blended oil in it as it came with from the factory and they told me not to use a fully synthetic oil.

Guess they know what they're doing...
Old 02-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

But isn't there a reason for Ford to put the mixed oil in the engine when it's new?
Is it really that wise to change the oil this early if the mixed one actually is in there for a reason?
The blend is in there for the initial engine break in and helps to coat the new engine internals.
Changed oil today after 870 miles. Did it at Ford and they did not put a fully synthetic oil in the car.
According to them they put the same blended oil in it as it came with from the factory and they told me not to use a fully synthetic oil.

Guess they know what they're doing...
The reason they told you that is because Motorcraft is one of the only companies that make the blended oil in that viscosity and weight. The fact that they told you to use a blended oil all the time and not to use a synthetic oil tells me 1 of 2 things. Either the techs at ford doing your oil change were stupid (a distinct possibility) or they just want you using 'their' product. Trust me on this one, and I hope others chime in to back me up, you want a fully synthetic oil in there. Period. If a Ford tech told me that, I'd tell him to pull his head out of his ***.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breaking in...