Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nail in a tire...

Old 02-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

Default Nail in a tire...

Got a nail in one of my tires today...
What would you do?

I'm leaning towards fixing/patching it instead of throwing a one week old tire away.
Is that too cheap on a car like this?
Old 02-08-2005, 10:51 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Nail in a tire...

na just get the patch/plug it'll be fine

Old 02-09-2005, 12:23 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Theory is the best way is to have tire place pop the tire loose from the wire, and put a patch on it from inside. Tire plugs, you can do yourself tend to work. I had one in a tire for better than 30k miles, never leaked.

Issue is a plug in the area where the tire flexes for corners etc. is not recomended. A patch from the inside may be OK in that instance. I don't know.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

The nail is placed near the middle of the tire, but I think I'll go for the patch put on from the inside.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:00 AM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

You should try a plug first. You can buy the kit to do a dozen plugs for around $5, and it's very easy. I've never had any problems with a plugged tire. It's as easy as this:

1) Push the tool through the hole to skuff the edges
2) Put the plug on the other tool
3) put a bunch of the goop that comes with the kit on the plug
4) push the plug in with the tool that it is now attached to
5) twist the tool and pull it out
6) inflate the tire and it's as good as new.

If for some strange reason it doesn't work, you are only out $5-$7 and 15 minutes time
Old 02-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

The tire place I use also does alot of 18 wheelers, and has a lot of experience. On all the patches they have done for me for my cars or pick-up trucks, they mark the tire for valve stem location (lets them remount the tire in the same position, in case you don't want to pay for a spin balance), then they patch from the inside with what they call a boot. It looks like a patch and a plug combo that goes in from the inside. Sometimes the also do a "vulcanize" boot. I think they burn the back of the boot to really seal it up. By booting from the inside, the boot won't pop out like a plug can. They charge $10 if I bring it in loose. 15 years, and many at least two flats a year later, never had to do one over. The only limitation is they can't boot it if it is on the sidewall. The heat buildup on the sidewall can cause a failure, ao they won't even try it.

Good luck !! Sounds like plenty of life left in that near new tire.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

Wouldn't a spin balance be a good idea after adding the extra weight (the patch) to the tire?

Otherwise, it sounds like a good solution to my problem!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

I always pay the extra $5 or so to get it myself. Seems cheap to me. It seems like a really good idea on a Mustang tire, which might see occasional speeds above 55mph.

Just make sure you get the boot from the inside, and before they start, make sure you ask about their tire removal equipment. The newer machines won't harm the rim. But who knows what the shop you stop by might still use. Just a quick question before they start.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

Good thing that you pointed out the equipment question!!

That's one thing I would have forgotten... and then it would have ruined my weekend.

Thanks!!

Old 02-09-2005, 01:08 PM
am1scott

I have always been wary of plugs. When I worked in a tire shop I saw quite a few cars come in for a new tire after a plug had caused the tread plys to separate. The only way we would fix flats was with a vulcanizing patch, and what was previously stated about no vulcanizing in the sidewall is generally true, too much heat. On certain performance tires with very thick sidewalls it can be done...carefully. I guess the bottom line is if you get a flat fixed, go to someplace that knows what they are doing. You don't want to ruin a $150+ tire with a $5 flat repair.
Oh, and you should always get the tire rebalanced after any method of flat repair. Even 1/2 gram can cause a tire to vibrate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nail in a tire...