Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)

Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)

We are just changing where the brushes contact the track. In essence moving the entire track down a little.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Do you want to hear me complain about the magazine makeover? No I really like C&D. Been a subscriber for over 25 years. I like your throttle mod too.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:44 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acrokat

We are just changing where the brushes contact the track. In essence moving the entire track down a little.
So where is the initiall point of contact - closest to the gold plate or farthest? In other words - Which way does the brush move across the strip when you press the pedal - TOWARD the gold plate or AWAY from it? If the initial point of conact is AWAY from the gold plate and the brush moves TOWARD it, then WOT would be the exact opposite of your picture - it would be over the gold plate. If the brush initially STARTS over the gold plate and moves away from it, my problem there is - how is this physically possible given the position of the brushes?

I thinkI need to see a diagram of exactly how this whole apparatus works. The pictures just aren't cutting it for me.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: 157db

Lets see. Bend wipers. No thanks.
Install a new travel stop so the relaxed
travel is a few mm less. Hmmmmmm
Sounds like a better way instead of
bending wipers. Soon the carbon will
be worn away from too much pressure
from misbent wipers. Forget the lag,
how about the new dead spots and
undesired quirky response from missing
resistance material?
Put a travel stop on mine and now its
fully micro adjustable with no bending
of wipers. Hows that for a modified mod?
That would be fine logic but they WILL wear out no matter what. Probably a little sooner with the mod but in the end, it will wear out.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

It's a nice discovery, I guess, but I don't really see what it gives? Like the clutch or brake bite points, the gas pedal is just something you get used to.

- Unless of course you go to meetings where these things are measured, with an award for the person with the least amount of dead pedal [&:]
Old 08-31-2007, 12:49 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

ORIGINAL: acrokat

So where is the initiall point of contact - closest to the gold plate or farthest? In other words - Which way does the brush move across the strip when you press the pedal - TOWARD the gold plate or AWAY from it? If the initial point of conact is AWAY from the gold plate and the brush moves TOWARD it, then WOT would be the exact opposite of your picture - it would be over the gold plate. If the brush initially STARTS over the gold plate and moves away from it, my problem there is - how is this physically possible given the position of the brushes?

I thinkI need to see a diagram of exactly how this whole apparatus works. The pictures just aren't cutting it for me.
Take a look at the pic I posted on Page 5. I was asking a question when I modified it. The white circles are where the brushes are located when your car is at idle. The black circles are where your brushes are located at WOT.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: 157db

Lets see. Bend wipers. No thanks.
Install a new travel stop so the relaxed
travel is a few mm less. Hmmmmmm
Sounds like a better way instead of
bending wipers. Soon the carbon will
be worn away from too much pressure
from misbent wipers. Forget the lag,
how about the new dead spots and
undesired quirky response from missing
resistance material?
Put a travel stop on mine and now its
fully micro adjustable with no bending
of wipers. Hows that for a modified mod?
That would be fine logic but they WILL wear out no matter what. Probably a little sooner with the mod but in the end, it will wear out.
This may be true, but Ford has life-cycle tested these to last x amount of cycles. This mod may prematurely wear them. How much is anyones guess.

BTW, I think I like "pot" better than "rheo". More sensitivity with a "pot".
Old 08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

It's a nice discovery, I guess, but I don't really see what it gives? Like the clutch or brake bite points, the gas pedal is just something you get used to.

- Unless of course you go to meetings where these things are measured, with an award for the person with the least amount of dead pedal [&:]
I cat tell you how many times I have jerked my car when shifting becauseI have the pedal resting in the "dead zone". It's not a bad jerk but it's enough to **** me off when I shift. Realistically I am just being lazy when I am shifting; not paying attention. If I can improve my shifting while being lazy and learn a little about my car in the process then I am all for it. I just had one question which is listed on page 5. Someone please answer it [:@]
Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

*whispering* Pssssst, hey guys, be quiet, here he comes. Lets not tell him about our secret club meetings. shhhhhhh.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Okay, I think Isee how the throttle works now. That little plastic circle at the end of the black housing carbon strip part AND the end of the whitehousing acts as a hinge (or axis), When you press the pedal, the whole whitehousing slides rotates around that axis thus sliding the brushes across the carbon strips . Correct?

If I'm right about how the throttle works, then the brushes are ALWAYS in contact with the carbon strip. this mod is only changing WHERE the brushes are in contact with the strip. The theory is that somehow if the brushes start above the gold plate instead of a few mm to the right of it, somehow that decreases throttle delay, supposedly because that area of the strip is more "sensitive". But sensitive to what - movement of the brush? Meaning, in that area above the gold plate, it would take less brush movement to illicit the same amount of throttle response than it would elsewhere? I don't get it.The maximumdistance traveled by the brushes across the strip is still the same, just shifted. Seems to me the ECU would just account for this shift and just make the new position it's new "normal". Enlighten me please someone/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)