Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)

Alright. Little itsy-bitsy stuff going on in there. At first glance I thought the wipers were solid but they are not. They're very fine individual wires and look like they could be broken off their metal tensioners if you had a sudden hand jerk.

I tried to bend the wires with a pair of tweezers and it looked like I did get some bend in them - not much at all. Then I bent the tensioners up to reapply downward force that was probably reduced from bending the little wires.

The car started right up and nothing abnormal. As far as reducing the slop at the top of the pedal I did not notice any improvement.

I'm hesitant in re-attemptingless of a bend (or flattening of the wire angle) as each little wire will flatten with differencing amounts - these bends are precision - the individual wires are now with varying bend degrees.

Like I mentioned, I did only get a little bend out of the wires - maybe more of a bend will produce better results (not much material to play with here - would be almost flat).

Edit: Fixed - reworded "more" to "less" - the wording was fairly clear te begin with though.

2nd Edit: With the flat pliers I reattempted this mod and it worked. Read on...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:18 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

You want the wires flat, with little bend in them, that way they move further out.

If you increased the angle of the bend, you will make it worse.

You really dont need any precision, just grasp the entire plane of wires with a pair of flat tipped pliers PAST the bend and squeeze the bend out of them. That's all I did and it worked perfectly

Look at the photos of my wires, you want them like that.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Alright. Little itsy-bitsy stuff going on in there. At first glance I thought the wipers were solid but they are not. They're very fine individual wires and look like they could be broken off their metal tensioners if you had a sudden hand jerk.

I tried to bend the wires with a pair of tweezers and it looked like I did get some bend in them - not much at all. Then I bent the tensioners up to reapply downward force that was probably reduced from bending the little wires.

The car started right up and nothing abnormal. As far as reducing the slop at the top of the pedal I did not notice any improvement.

I'm hesitant in re-attempting more of a bend (or flattening of the wire angle) as each little wire will flatten with differencing amounts - these bends are precision - the individual wires are now with varying bend degrees.

Like I mentioned, I did only get a little bend out of the wires - maybe more of a bend will produce better results (not much material to play with here - would be almost flat).
I don't think i can trust you doing this job, seems like you were scare doing it. i rather do it myself.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tube

Right, because throttle dead space affects horsepower and quarter mile time...

Watch my video.
Do you sit at the tree with your foot off of the throttle? Do you launch from idle? I'm calling BS.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

If at idle rpm the wire is sitting atop the "hump" at the end of the sweep, then moving the wire so it no longer rests on the hump has to increase the idle rpm. And if the idle rpm is higher, its just like staging at the line and power braking as you wait for the green. The throttle is already in theory moved".

All that keeps running through my head is, if this makes the car respond faster, then why wouldn't Ford do it? It would cost nothing.

Its like when some after market company makes a gizmo that improves gas mileage by 25%. The part costs $29 and it raises your mileage. If it was true why wouldn't the factory install the same component (at a lot less then $29 with bulk purchasing) and be able to claim that "our 300 hp car also gets 27 miles to the gallon! They'd clean up. The answer? Cause the claims are bogus.

I hope that you are really on to something. But I'll wait til others have sacrificed their lives in the name of technology before I start f-ing with my pedal assembly.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:33 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kleistang

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

I'm hesitant in re-attempting more of a bend (or flattening of the wire angle) as each little wire will flatten with differencing amounts - these bends are precision - the individual wires are now with varying bend degrees.

I don't think i can trust you doing this job, seems like you were scare doing it. i rather do it myself.
Who's stopping you krudstang? I went out and attempted to reproduce for the sake of anyone interested andthis is your"thanks"? Blow me.[:'(]

Anywho. I didn't have a good pair of pliers with a flat surface so I attempted with tweezers. I'mheading out toSears for a better tool and reattempt.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

If at idle rpm the wire is sitting atop the "hump" at the end of the sweep, then moving the wire so it no longer rests on the hump has to increase the idle rpm. And if the idle rpm is higher, its just like staging at the line and power braking as you wait for the green. The throttle is already in theory moved".

All that keeps running through my head is, if this makes the car respond faster, then why wouldn't Ford do it? It would cost nothing.

Its like when some after market company makes a gizmo that improves gas mileage by 25%. The part costs $29 and it raises your mileage. If it was true why wouldn't the factory install the same component (at a lot less then $29 with bulk purchasing) and be able to claim that "our 300 hp car also gets 27 miles to the gallon! They'd clean up. The answer? Cause the claims are bogus.

I hope that you are really on to something. But I'll wait til others have sacrificed their lives in the name of technology before I start f-ing with my pedal assembly.
Probably because you need more accurate product, = more money or time and this cars are mass production. thats a minimal thing for ford.

and i think that if you would have an automatic car you would be able to feel more difference on respose than on a manual.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mister Roper

Watch my video.
Do you sit at the tree with your foot off of the throttle? Do you launch from idle? I'm calling BS.

Exactly!

Please go to the local strip and show us the reaction time results "without" power braking the throttle when staged. If this really works, the reaction time, which is the elapsed time taken from the tree light turning green and the front tire breaking the stage beam. The non adjusted throttle pedal should have a greater reaction time then the manipulated one. The qtr mile time won't matter because that starts from the time the reaction time ends. I'm confident the magazine you write for has cart blanche at the local strip. So getting time to test won't be an issue, and what a story this will be in the next publication. I'm smelling Pulitzer!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:37 PM
kleistang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kleistang

Probably because you need more accurate product, = more money or time and this cars are mass production. thats a minimal thing for ford.

and i think that if you would have an automatic car you would be able to feel more difference on respose than on a manual.
rofl i almost fall of my chair. i'm just playing thanks for doing it at least you went and do it while there
is people here making negative comments.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Mister Roper

Watch my video.

Exactly!

Please go to the local strip and show us the reaction time results "without" power braking the throttle when staged. If this really works, the reaction time, which is the elapsed time taken from the tree light turning green and the front tire breaking the stage beam. The non adjusted throttle pedal should have a greater reaction time then the manipulated one. The qtr mile time won't matter because that starts from the time the reaction time ends. I'm confident the magazine you write for has cart blanche at the local strip. So getting time to test won't be an issue, and what a story this will be in the next publication. I'm smelling Pulitzer!
I cant see how this affects track times, reaction or other....we are talking about a mod that reduces the time it is taking for the pedal to travel 1/2 inch at most when you stomp on it.....

Quick Reply: DIY THROTTLE RESPONSE MOD (MUST SEE!)