Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steed UDP craziness

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:18 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steed UDP craziness

I wasnt meaning to be putting you down or anything, I was just stating that I have been in business for myself for years, and you get a lot of people calling and waisting a lot of your valuable time and never buy anything. I cant imagine how many of those phone calls these people get like that at a speed shop. I go to where I get my car tuned and the poor guy spends 70% of his time talking to people about mods they want to do to there car, and never have it done. he has a 300,000 mortgage on his building, and answering questions doesnt get it paid. there is a point to where he has to cut his loss if you dont buy and move on to someone that is. just business.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

Wow I can't believe this is so hard to visualize.

If spinning the accessories at stock belt speed takes (for round numbers only) 10 HP out of your stock 300 HP motor, that leaves 290 HP left to do other things, such as turn the trans. If you install pullies and they allow the belt to spin slower, taking (for round numbers) only 5 HP from your 300 HP motor, that leaves 295 HP to do other things.

Take it to the extreme--if your accessories in an imaginary world used up 299 HP just to make them turn, your 300 HP motor would only have 1 HP left to do anything with. That car would have RWHP measurements that were very, very low. If you reduced that 299 HP drain on the motor down to a 9 HP drain, you just gained a lot more RWHP. The same general idea as the manual trans vs. the auto trans--the auto loses a bit more energy than the manual, and thus, the stock manual usually has a few more RWHP than the stock auto albeit from the same motor.

There have been folks here who know what they're talking about (i.e. not me) explain the AC and Alternator bit too. The AC measured 2-5 degrees warmer with the UDPs on--barely noticeable, but surely a difference. The alternator makes the same juice at (I forget the exact number, but I'm close) 1500 RPM and up. Once you go over that (which you would with or without UDPs during normal driving) the alternator doesn't put out anything more. In other words, revving to 5000 RPM doesn't give you more (or at least not much more) juice than 2000 RPM. At low idle, you might notice a slight difference though, but mainly with extra things such as a large aftermarket amp, and those neon lights you're dying to put under the chassis--admit it.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

They free up HP.....you GAIN HP AT THE WHEELS....the marketing terms are correct....you gain 5-7 or 10 whatever they claim at the wheels. I dont know of many if any people that have troubles with UDPs in a normal car....now if you have like 5 subs added to the car the alt. is going to probably have some trouble feeding that. Anyone that claims that UDPs are useless either is already FI or going FI or just doesnt know ****. I am not saying you will get 10 HP but the car should feel stronger and you technically have to pick up HP
Old 09-06-2007, 06:45 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06tyrfryr

I wasnt meaning to be putting you down or anything, I was just stating that I have been in business for myself for years, and you get a lot of people calling and waisting a lot of your valuable time and never buy anything. I cant imagine how many of those phone calls these people get like that at a speed shop. I go to where I get my car tuned and the poor guy spends 70% of his time talking to people about mods they want to do to there car, and never have it done. he has a 300,000 mortgage on his building, and answering questions doesnt get it paid. there is a point to where he has to cut his loss if you dont buy and move on to someone that is. just business.
i know, i was kidding =)
Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

and lol at saltzy w/ the neons comment! i'm going to eat some rice right now, literally.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I disagree with you gaining more HP because the accessories use less power. This isn't HP, and they should state that. I don't claim I gained 100hp because I was going down a steep hill, because it is simply isn't true.

They should state "This mod will not gain your HP, but will rather allow your crankshaft to give more power to your wheels rather than your accessories, and on a side note will result in a lack of air conditioning and car charging". This way people know this isn't a gain to the overall car, just a reallocation of HP.

Steeda has always been a pompus company that is meant for the mass-market, rather than true enthusiasts.They don'tcompare to evolution or brenspeed in what they do, and this steeda guy's attitude and lack of knowledge shows just that.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a Brenspeed employee that will hangup on your, thats for sure.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Brenspeed sells only Steeda UDP's..........
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

Waste of money and 200 dollars for 5 imaginary hp that you CANT tell you have is not a good deal, That 200 could buy 4.10 gears, I would know, I have them.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

I disagree with you gaining more HP because the accessories use less power. This isn't HP, and they should state that. I don't claim I gained 100hp because I was going down a steep hill, because it is simply isn't true.

They should state "This mod will not gain your HP, but will rather allow your crankshaft to give more power to your wheels rather than your accessories, and on a side note will result in a lack of air conditioning and car charging". This way people know this isn't a gain to the overall car, just a reallocation of HP.

Steeda has always been a pompus company that is meant for the mass-market, rather than true enthusiasts.They don'tcompare to evolution or brenspeed in what they do, and this steeda guy's attitude and lack of knowledge shows just that.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a Brenspeed employee that will hangup on your, thats for sure.
What would you call it then? Dogpower maybe? Youwill see a gain at the crank and at the rear wheels.

You keeptalking about it being dangerous but Ive seen you say your going to install your own supercharger now THAT is dangerous. There is risk with any performance mod period, its up to you to wieght the risk vs rewardand decide if it's right for you.

I havnt read a whole lot about trouble with udp's maybe you could could post some threads of this? I would be most interested.

Dont know about evo but brenspeed sells steeda products, not to mention they put steeda products on the shelby's which wether you like it or not are considered collectors car. Now I'm not saying they are the best in the world or anything but they arent the worst either atleast thier products are decent. If your gonna blast a vendor(especially one that sponser's this forum) you should have your **** straight. Sure the guy shouldnt have hung up he's a ******* it happens, all companies have them and even brenspeed people have bad days.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

on a side note will result in a lack of air conditioning and car charging
Is that good for daily driving? I mean I don't want to be walking around everyday asking people for a jump start!!

Quick Reply: Steed UDP craziness