Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what tuner to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what tuner to buy???

ORIGINAL: 07SCGT
SCT Xcal II. Easy to use, and you can put it in valet mode in under 45 secondswhen you drop it off for service. Interface is so easy a 10 year old could use it, very intuitive interface.
What's valet mode? Sorry for the dumb question.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

I am tuned by a predator tuner. Is it better than the otehrs? I dont know. But i like it a lot!

It isnt really so much the tuner, more so the tune. I got a great dyno tune, so it works out well
This is correct....the tuner DOESNT matter its the person writing the tune. Doug can write a tune for a xcal or a predator and it will perform the same. The main thing is that you do not want to buy a Xcal or Predator with the canned tunes, you want to get a dyno tune with whichever tuner your guy works with. You might get a Xcal but then he only uses Diablo...you never know. If a dyno is not a good option for you then go with B amachips, Evo, VMP or Brenspeed with their custom tunes, 10x better than the canned tunes from SCT or Diablo.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 AM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Valet mode puts in perameters such as reduced timing, rev limitor, speed limitor, basically it is a governor. I have mine set in Bank 3 and load it whenever I drop it off for service at the Ford Dealership. I know that anyone who drives it can't rev more than 3K and go more than 45MPH.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

If you want a canned tune, it is all preference between the leading tuners (Diablosport Predator, SCT Xcalibrator, GMS Fuego, Superchips 1755, and a couple others).

If you want to possibly get dyno-tuned in the future, you have two choices:
Diablosport
SCT

I recommend SCT due to the ease of tuning for the shop, resulting in a better tune on average, and because of that it is much easier to find a competent SCT tuner shop.
Diablosport allows for greater custom tune detail and expandability in some areas, but master tuners are few and far between in my experience.

If you choose SCT, you now have two choices:
Xcalibrator 2
Live-Wire

The Xcal is more common, cheaper, and easier for the user (YOU) to use. The Live-Wire has the ability for more tunes, better in-car diagnostics and on-the-fly tuning capabilities, but is more expensive.

With all that said, I run a dyno-tune on an Xcal2.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM
RRRRRON

you might want to check out snipertuning .com . we have a heavy duty truck shop and are a dealer. they have stuff for big trucks but their ford stuff is quite impressive. just more options for you to consider!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Go with SCT for ease of use and more shps out there setup to work with SCT. If not having it DYNO'd then the tune you buy is really what matters. The tuner device just gets it into your car. Id go with Doug at B AMA since I have had no problems and great results. Plus he is great with keeping you up to date if you are to change or upgrade your mods.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

I would get what the tunner programms for. Some only write tunes for sct some for diablo. I went with sct because it seems like more people write tunes for it.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Best place to buy is Benspeed,SCT X II, free tunefor tunes to life from benspeed..can't get any better than that.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

i have diablo. both do the same...dont think it matters
Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RRRRRON

you might want to check out snipertuning .com . we have a heavy duty truck shop and are a dealer. they have stuff for big trucks but their ford stuff is quite impressive. just more options for you to consider!

+1 This is what my tuner used. Ive never had another so i cant say i f its better, but im very happy with it.

Quick Reply: what tuner to buy???