Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it REALLY to steal a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:42 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How hard is it REALLY to steal a Mustang?

Prometheus, can you please explain your comment about NOT using a tow truck? My impression was that without the keys, the thieves pretty much had to tow the s197 away. Thanks.

Sleeper2
Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I always use a Club. I realize they can be gotten around by any targeting thief, but a Club is an excellant deterrant to the 'casual' thief that is just browsing for something to steal.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

what some perps will do is put a piece of paper on your rear windshield, when you are in a store,and you do not notice it until you get in your car and go to backup. Once you notice the paper you leave the car on and get out to take the paper off, as you start walking back someone will hop in the car and take off.

My advice is to walk around the car before you get inand make sure nothing is wrong. If you are in your car and notice something blocking your view, turn the car off and take the keys out with you to clear it off.

If someone does make it off with your car, take down the direction the car is going, and try to get a view of anyturns he might have made. Then notify PD.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

Ummm....that's why I got the Viper alarm on mine!! They've got to really want to steal mine and hopefully at least that dang blinking light scares them away[:@]
Old 09-12-2007, 05:04 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeper2

Prometheus, can you please explain your comment about NOT using a tow truck? My impression was that without the keys, the thieves pretty much had to tow the s197 away. Thanks.

Sleeper2
I have access to the needed tools to cut and program a key. There is a security lock that takes 10 mins for a blank key to be programmed. All I would need is the vin which I can see through the windshield.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:06 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Oh. Yikes. Thanks Prometheus, I read about these things being for sale on the black market. Maybe I should tape over the VIN!

Sleeper2
Old 09-12-2007, 05:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: A_J

any decent burglar will know that the crappy Shaker 500 in my car isn't worth the effort
+1
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

This is very educational. I'm going to cover my vin. If you have the anti-theft system, the electronics are locked when someone breaks in the car or tows it.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:08 PM
luvrbcs
2nd Gear Member

My guess then is that it got towed away. He does live in the country but it is along a state route and there is a fair amount of traffic. Or, he left the key in and isn't saying.

Is the Mustang a popular car to steal?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
swoosh
2nd Gear Member

Mustang is like #5 or 6 in the nation for theft.

I'm not impressed with the Active anti-theft feature. Had my window down far enough to stick my arm in, waved it around and no alarm triggered (or maybe I just have the wrong impression of what it does). Looked into some systems similar to Lojack like Guardian or some others, that will alert you when your car is stolen and you can track it via GPS.

Still lookinginto a way to splice in a reed switch so that I can magneticallyshut off my fuel pump when I'm not in the car.

The one thing I've heard about Lojack that they don't include on the brochures is that for your car to be recovered, the town your car was taken to must have Lojack in each of their police vehicles. When my fox body was stolen, the town it was taken to for stripping and disposal did not have Lojack, so I would have been SOL even with it. The only system that actually works well is OnStar with the GM vehicles, they have a 98% recovery rate

Quick Reply: How hard is it REALLY to steal a Mustang?