Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Short-drop and calibration fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Florida pony

Did you get your window problem fixed? My window is fraying my top too.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Florida pony

Spain1982 did you get the window problem fixed? My window is fraying my top too.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:57 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Florida pony
Spain1982 did you get the window problem fixed? My window is fraying my top too.
I would try sending a PM to him. The post you quoted is over two years old; he also last logged on a month ago.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

1) This thread is many years old

2) I'm guessing your car is under warranty or recently ran out. Why would you not take it to ford now - or when the issue started to fray your top?
Old 12-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Spain1982

Hello Florida Pony,
Sorry I haven't responded. I don't check the Forum regularly, but I received an email this morning about additions to the thread. The short answer is, "No, I haven't fixed the problem."
I paid the dealer $200 to adjust the window set-screws. If I open the door slowly, the window does clear the convertible top. But, since I'm the only one that knows or remembers to do that, and since it's the passenger door, well, it still nicks the top 99% of the time. Oh, and now the window leaks in really heavy rain or if I'm not careful with the hose when washing. I took it through a car wash once. I won't do that again.
I've used scissors to clip the fraying fabric. It looks better. I guess I've decided to live with it.
I had one other idea, to buy an aftermarket replacement window motor (available on Amazon) and try programming it to drop a little farther, hoping it would clear the top. I haven't tried that yet. I suspect the real problem is the position of the convertible top or the even the original design. Even if I can program the motor to drop the window another inch, if the window doesn't drop any faster, it will still nick the top.
Sorry that's not much help. If you try something different, pleas post it.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:22 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Welcome to the forum, Florida pony! Have you addressed this with your Ford Dealer yet?

Deysha
Old 12-29-2014, 06:27 PM
2012brembo50

Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, Florida pony! Have you addressed this with your Ford Dealer yet?

Deysha
Hi folks,

My wife's 2011 convertible has exactly the same problem. The dealer rep was going to replace the top until he realized it was out of warranty. If we paused after unlatching the door and before pulling it open, it would clear the top. But now (cold weather?) it hits the top even if given time to drop.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:46 PM
LaBelle
1st Gear Member

My window switches , both sides are so touchy, that just a very very minute touch will make them either go all the way up or all the way down, No such thing as getting them to stop where you want them to. Does the recalibration fix this?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:52 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by 2012brembo50
Hi folks,

My wife's 2011 convertible has exactly the same problem. The dealer rep was going to replace the top until he realized it was out of warranty. If we paused after unlatching the door and before pulling it open, it would clear the top. But now (cold weather?) it hits the top even if given time to drop.

Any input is appreciated.
Hey 2012brembo50,

Have you been able to address this with your service manager? He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

Originally Posted by LaBelle
My window switches , both sides are so touchy, that just a very very minute touch will make them either go all the way up or all the way down, No such thing as getting them to stop where you want them to. Does the recalibration fix this?
Not sure if it’ll help, but it does not hurt to try, LaBelle. Here are the steps from the owner’s manual:

Restoring the Express up functionality (Front windows only)
Under low battery power conditions, Express Up only functionality may
be lost. To reset this function after restoring full battery power, pull the
switch to the Express Up position, hold the switch until the glass
reaches the stall position and continue to hold for 2 seconds. Push the
window switch DOWN and operate the window to the full down position.
Express UP will now be functional. Perform Express UP
re-calibration with door closed only. Calibrating with door open
will cause the window to continuously bounce back.

Deysha
Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 AM
2012brembo50

[QUOTE=FordService;8453841]Hey 2012brembo50,

Have you been able to address this with your service manager? He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

My wife dealt with a service representative and his solution was to replace the top. Since we would be paying for it, it stopped there. We aren't going to spend what I'm sure would be a lot to fix something that was flawed from the start. Our mistake was timeliness and the cost was a ford dealership waving us down the road.

Quick Reply: Window Short-drop and calibration fix