Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging/Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharging/Modifications

1. Whipple twin screws sound the right way to go. The website says over 50% increase in hp over entire range. Does this mean that I would expect ~450hp?
With a Whipple making 9 psi, with exhaust, you will make around 400+ hp to the rear wheels, and quite possibly more. What your target rear wheel hp should be is in the 400-430 range. Any more than that, and it will put too much stress on your connecting rods in your motor. That is your weakest link internally in your motor. -But if you are running around 400 at the wheels, then you'll be fine for years as a daily driver.
2. What would I expect the total hp gains to be with magnaflows, K&N intake kit, and the twin screw Whipple blower? What if I did everything but the blower, what would the hp gains be?
If you did eveything but the blower you will probably make around 290-300 hp to the wheels.
3. What would you expect I would have to pay for the items in #2 to be installed, plus a dyno tune?
If you do the blower the FIPK K&N kit, (which is a type of cold air kit), isn't necessary. To have all installed it could greatly depend on who does it. It should run around $1000 or so, + or -. What you will want to get is a hand held programmer to be able to change your tune. Once you have that, you will take it to a dyno and tune it. Then you're all set. The hand held programmer will run around 350$ and the dyno tune will run around 100$.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:59 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

Definitely go twin screw on the blower. It has more low-end tourqe than anything else... which is the power you actually need in daily driving. Screw your warranty, I did. Just find a good shop that's been around a long time and has a great reputation. Google search "shop name SUCKS", and check the better business bureau. My shop pulled my motor and repaced a head gasket under their warranty. A good shop can be hard to find, but is your best friend when you do serious mods.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:18 PM
davidy

Just a brief comment. I am also looking into getting a Mustang GT in the somewhat near future and was checking through Steeda's web site. You can get the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system there for $530, I have also seen that price on ebay, way less then the asking price from Magnaflow's web site
Steeda's 2005 Parts
Old 02-17-2005, 05:38 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

$530, huh? I'm saving money already.

I am looking at definitively doing the Magnaflow cat-back (2.5" seem appropriate?). As for the rest of the modifications, I am thinking I could either do the K&N intake kit and a cold air intake and add the Whipple supercharger in the future or forego the intake kits (chip maybe??? I don't hear much about chips, is there a good reason for this?) and go with the Whipple supercharger from the get-go.

If you could post the Mach 1's you have described, that would be great.

Thanks.