Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustangs & Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustangs & Snow

ORIGINAL: p51mstg

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: ilmor

The youngsters nowadays are nervous, I think, because they've grown up w/ front and all-wheel drive....

That's right. We didn't know what FWD was till the late 70's. If you wanted to go somewhere and it was slick out, saddle up! There were times when I drove on the ice and had one side of my car on the unpaved shoulder to get traction, but that was ice. No help there except studs or chains.
MN outlawed studs before I was learning to drive, but you're right - nobody had FWD, except for maybe Saab, and those were rare enough. Everybody got around just fine with RWD.

I know some states put limits on when you can use studs, but out here, you can use them year round. I never used them at all when growing up in southern Missouri where we got frequent ice storms. Had my first set out here and wonder why it took me so long.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 AM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Drove mine in the snow all last winter on the stock tires. I will have to admit that snow tires would help a lot but as long as you use common sense you will be fine even with the stock tires. The traction control is a big help in the winter.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

The differences in snow vs all season tires are the tread and compound. Obviously the tread is more aggresive on a snow tire, but the compound is different so that it stays flexible when temps dip below freezing. That allows the tire to grip the ice and snow instead of allowing the car to be a lead sled. TC is helpful too. Never had either back in the ancient times. Old hard bias-ply snow tires and seat of your pants. Improvements have come a long ways.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

i drove with TCS off alot of the time in the winter. if i was on a hill and i tried to get going my tires would spin and i slide back down, go back up, slide back down, go back up, slide back down, so i just said *** it and turned it off and just let it slip until i got to the top of the hill. then i would put it back on when i got onto the street.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

i drove with TCS off alot of the time in the winter. if i was on a hill and i tried to get going my tires would spin and i slide back down, go back up, slide back down, go back up, slide back down, so i just said *** it and turned it off and just let it slip until i got to the top of the hill. then i would put it back on when i got onto the street.

Going uphill and through snow drifts, momentum is your friend. I used to live half way up a steep hill. About 1/4 the way to my house, there was a dog leg turn in the street and I had to get a run at the hill, drift around the dog leg, get straighten back up to continue up to my house and just about the time I was spinning and couldn't go any farther, I was home and backed into my driveway. It didn't help that the kids polished that hill nightly with their sleds.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:49 AM
raserx
1st Gear Member

$1000.00 beaters tend to be unreliable and I'd want winter tires on it anyway. I spent $600.00 on Pirelli Snowsports and had no problems in snow,ice or slush. Great tires!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I bought a set (4) of 235/55R17 Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozeros last season, and mounted them on take-off Bullitts for my 4.0L/auto vert. Those tires (w/ TCS) worked great in the snow! They are great in the rain too, and aren't much noiser than the P-Zeros.

I highly recommend getting good WINTER tires for a DD in snow. All-season tires will not cut it, IMO.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

The Mustang is fine in the snow, the problem is the salt that is often used on roads that causes havoc and nasty corrosion on everything. When I live in snow country I had an old beater snow car to use in the winter. Even when the snow melts the salt stays on the roads for a long time.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:39 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Should be no problem. 4 winter tires (Toyo makes a kick *** set........very good reviews) and smooth actions.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:19 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

On the sault note be careful when the streets are dry and sault is still on them. I have slid a bit on the sault as well. Best to be super careful in the winter when driving your stang.

Quick Reply: Mustangs & Snow