Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustangs & Snow

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

Default Mustangs & Snow

Ok I've had my 'stang for about 2 months now - I kind of bought it on impuse (maybe middle life crisis), but I love the car. I would like some feed back on how these cars are in the snow - I live in Wisconsin and if I do decide to drive it this winter, I will but appropriate tires on it...can anyone share the experience. Tire recommends would be helpfull too.

Thanks!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustangs & Snow

I have never tried the appropriate tire thing so i have no experience with that

Other than that, a mustang in snow is a HUGE no no!

Yes i have seen people do it but i couldnt even make it out of my drive way with a light dusting of snow [&o]
Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

use the search this has gone over a million times but i will tell you all you need. a gentle foot, sandbags in the trunk, and blizzak tires.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:55 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

snow tires ftw!
my 2000 v6 will not spin the tires in the snow with my snow tires on (thats about 100 ishhp less than my gt ) but thats to get the idea across, b t w dont you have traction control?
t/c + snow rubber = daily driver
imho sand bags are not needed unless you want to hurt fuel economy (im in IL so we get almost as much snow as you guys)
Old 09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Rick

Ok I've had my 'stang for about 2 months now - I kind of bought it on impuse (maybe middle life crisis), but I love the car. I would like some feed back on how these cars are in the snow - I live in Wisconsin and if I do decide to drive it this winter, I will but appropriate tires on it...can anyone share the experience. Tire recommends would be helpfull too.

Thanks!

Vancouver, BC, Canada checking aka Pacific North West.

My '05 GT (5 speed) is a daily driver, which in my case means cats and dogs type rain from basically late October to around April or May. In between is the odd snowfall. While I would never takemy car out in the snow on purpose, I was caught a few times last year in unexpected sleet and snow. Not sure how the terrain is in Wisconsin, but Vancouver has A LOT of f'ing hills. SCARY. I have extensive experience driving off-road,butdriving a rear wheel drive carthat likes to spin like a **** with even the slightest of throttle is awhole different animal than driving aJeep with front and rear locked differentials even in themost extreme circumstances!!

Oh, should mention that my experience withthe car is limited to stock wheels and tires. Perhapsatrue winter tire could help. Maybe. [8D]

Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

TABOO (AND THE REST TOO)

I've been to BC (Grouse Mt.). Yes much more hilly then around here. I have driven SUV, for the last 15 years, with the exception of my Chyrs 300, which was FWD. I got spoild with that, but I was raised here, so I think (hope) a pair of blizzak's and some patients may be ok.....I guess I can always "change gears" and pick up a honda if it get too bad
Old 09-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Taboo
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Rick

TABOO (AND THE REST TOO)

I've been to BC (Grouse Mt.). Yes much more hilly then around here. I have driven SUV, for the last 15 years, with the exception of my Chyrs 300, which was FWD. I got spoild with that, but I was raised here, so I think (hope) a pair of blizzak's and some patients may be ok.....I guess I can always "change gears" and pick up a honda if it get too bad
Well not EVERY drive here in BC involves driving up a mountain, the fact that we are a coastal city with mountains in our backyard basically means that we are not a very flat area....and honestly part of my response isn't about the Mustang, it's about the other farking idiots on the road....it's just a bad combination....
Old 09-18-2007, 11:25 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

driving in mn and wi anywhere in the midwest is cake in the snow compared to the nw or anywhere with big hills and mountains... it still is a pain in the *** getting around though
Old 09-19-2007, 05:02 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

I just bought a set of Michelin Ice winter tireson Bullitsfor my Shelby because there will be times, unfortunately, that I may have to use the car in snow....the wheels are the black bullits, which look interesting on the white Shelby (I got a great deal on them).
Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 AM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

Screw all that ****. Learn to drift and own those corners!!! I will admit, its hard to get down, but it can be done. ( And BTW Ive been drifting on the track now for 3 years, got my Pro Am liscense 1 year ago....and yes...Hulk Hogans kid is a dumbass)

Quick Reply: Mustangs & Snow